Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ESPN: Playing is life-threatening call for Pittsburgh Steelers' Ryan Clark

Skinz248

ESPN: Teammates urging Clark to skip game

PITTSBURGH -- Ryan Clark may be saying everything he needs to say with his growing silence.

The Pittsburgh Steelers safety is usually one of the team's most talkative players. But he is talking little as it becomes increasingly likely he won't play Monday in Denver due to a rare blood condition that nearly caused him to die after playing there two years ago.

Nearly all of Clark's teammates are urging him to skip the game. The other Steelers safeties are being readied to play, and Clark does not appear as upbeat or as excited as he normally does before a game.

During a time he often chats with reporters, Clark sat alone in front of his locker, scanning messages on his cell phone before practice on Thursday.

Even if Clark pleaded with them to play, the Steelers appear reluctant to take a chance considering how seriously ill he became after that 2007 game, which Denver won 31-28.

Clark was hospitalized in Denver when complications from sickle-cell trait prevented oxygen from flowing into his spleen. He later needed operations to remove his spleen and gall bladder, and the 205-pound Clark lost more than 30 pounds before he finally began feeling better more than two months later.

Click the link for the rest of the article

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=4627445

Get well Ryan -- It is only a game, much less important than your life. There is so much going on with the Redskins right now, but this should be above all of it.

With the predominance of african-american athletes in the NFL and the relatively high prevalence of sickle-cell trait among this population, I'd be in favor of a league wide rule banning players who test positive from playing in Denver for fear of medical complications. It's difficult enough for people with normal RBCs to acclimate to the altitude much less someone with defective Hb.

Well the doctors did clear him to play...

I hope Santonio Holmes doesn't have any problems; he has sickle trait too.

Santonio's sickle trait is not affected by altitude like Ryan Clark's.

Only 1% of people affected by sickle cell are adversly affected by altitude.

Also according to medicine, the two organs that are affected in thsi situation are the spleen and Gall Bladder. But I personally would rather be safe than sorry. I hope he chooses to not partake in the game, and I would be really displeased with Mike Tomlin and Pittsburgh if they allowed him to play even if he wants to.

With the predominance of african-american athletes in the NFL and the relatively high prevalence of sickle-cell trait among this population, I'd be in favor of a league wide rule banning players who test positive from playing in Denver for fear of medical complications. It's difficult enough for people with normal RBCs to acclimate to the altitude much less someone with defective Hb.

Well that's pretty harsh. Most people with sickle cell don't have any problems with it. You want to deny all of them the opportunity to play for a team that could possibly want them?

I can't believe a medical staff would clear him after what happened to him last time he played there.

Lightning never strikes twice, right?

j/k j/k

Santonio's sickle trait is not affected by altitude like Ryan Clark's.

Only 1% of people affected by sickle cell are adversly affected by altitude.

Also according to medicine, the two organs that are affected in thsi situation are the spleen and Gall Bladder. But I personally would rather be safe than sorry. I hope he chooses to not partake in the game, and I would be really displeased with Mike Tomlin and Pittsburgh if they allowed him to play even if he wants to.

Oh, I didn't realize how low of a percentage it is.

I hope he doesn't play either, but I have ulterior motives.

Archived