Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Amazing Story (Autistic draws NY from memory)

FLRedskins

My 10 year-old son is autistic. At school he's known as 'The Movie Wizard' because if he has the DVD of a movie, he can tell you any detail about that movie you could possible think of. Directors, producers, running time, the year it was filmed, key grip, 2nd unit director ... anything. Not only that, but he can then tell you what other movies any given director, producer, gaffer, best boy ... etc has worked on. When he walks down the hall at school, kids will throw out questions to stump him.

At camp this summer he was in the talent show and answered movie questions for about five minutes. By the end all the parents were staring at me in disbelief.

Now, if I could only get him to do his math homework ...

I have a special place in my heart for children with Autism. My nephew is Autistic and he is a wonderful little boy.

I have a strange theory on Autism. (free free to tease me about it, btw)

I think that people with Autism have brains that operate on a plane above the norm rather than below. I think their disability lies in that they are processing so much information and processing it very differently from us that we could not ever begin to understand the high level of thought that is going on behind the scenes.

Maybe this is wishful thinking, but I like to think this way for some reason.

My 10 year-old son is autistic. At school he's known as 'The Movie Wizard' because if he has the DVD of a movie, he can tell you any detail about that movie you could possible think of. Directors, producers, running time, the year it was filmed, key grip, 2nd unit director ... anything. Not only that, but he can then tell you what other movies any given director, producer, gaffer, best boy ... etc has worked on. When he walks down the hall at school, kids will throw out questions to stump him.

At camp this summer he was in the talent show and answered movie questions for about five minutes. By the end all the parents were staring at me in disbelief.

The human brain remains a mysterious, powerful thing. It's almost scary to think about.

I'll tell you this much, my son knows a lot more than he says. When you talk to him, most of the time he doesn't appear to be listening. Then three weeks later he'll refer to what you said with perfect clarity. As a parent you have to get used to this lack of confirmation, and trust that he's getting the information he needs from you, even if he doesn't always show it.

It goes the other way too. When my son is upset about something, it almost always comes out as something else. Usually he'll ask to watch a movie he knows we don't have or won't let him see, and then when we say no he'll have a meltdown. Or he'll just start talking incessantly about a movie and get upset if you try and change the subject.

Knowing my boy the way I do, I can usually figure out what he means when he's talking about something, even if what he's saying is completely irrelevant to what he actually means.

I have a special place in my heart for children with Autism. My nephew is Autistic and he is a wonderful little boy.

I think that people with Autism have brains that operate on a plane above the norm rather than below. I think their disability lies in that they are processing so much information and processing it very differently from us that we could not ever begin to understand the high level of thought that is going on behind the scenes.

Clearly our brains are designed for more than we get out of them. I think there is merit to your theory. Somehow by their brain function they are getting more out of their brains in ways that the rest of us don't.

Get him a math movie. I suggest you contact Danica McKellar and have her make math videos based on her books Math Doesn't Suck and Kiss My Math. That way you get some eye candy, while he gets a math movie.

i always thought similar. i think the autistic do use more of their brains than normal people, plus they dont have the self imposed limits that most people do. like if a normal person is told from a young age 'dont do ____, or ____ will happen', they believe it whether its true or not. so that line of thinking limits them in the future where they might automatically rule something out just cuz someone else says so.

Archived