Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what's up with the secondary

Lar0n Landry

isnt it funny how our secondary went from being the strongest part of our d last year to now the weakest link?

last we we said "man our secondary is so good, if only we had a pass rush we could be the #1 d". well guess what, we have a pass rush now and the secondary is getting WORKED.

d-hall and Rogers are both horrible. i mean really really really bad. Landry is vastly overrated. he can't tackle and gets beat deep a lot. Horton has been a huge dissapointment since his stellar rookie season. Reed Doughty of all people has been the MVP of the secondary lol.

why do you think the secondary has been so bad this year? do we really miss Springs that much?

it's pretty sad. it seems like the safeties are blowing assignments. Laron has been terrible this season (not just terrible for a top 10 pick, terrible for a starting safety). and our corners arent making plays. it's pretty depressing considering what our secondary once was not long ago.

The secondary hasn't been any good since ST passed.

Carlos cannot catch a ball unless its handed to him, can't cover worth crap.

Hall at least catches int's, and right now he's the best cover guy the Skins have.

LL, well, once again he keeps taking bad angles at players, missing tackles trying to make the "hit list" for the week.

Seems that some on the secondary are trying to make a name for themselves instead of playing the position; they need to do THEIR own job and stop looking in the backfield and biting on every pump-fake while the receiver blows past them.

It boils down to discipline; Williams had them playing hard, physical defense while taking care of their responsibilities; now, I don't think Blanche has them in the right frame of mind...

Come on, don't throw the baby out with the bathwater. Our defense has been fine. Carlos has gotten burned two times this season.....that's not ridiculous by any standard.

Hall missed the tackle on Delhomme, but he's been exactly what I expected. Average cover skills, great ability to find the ball.

Plus, don't forget we're developing Tryon instead of playing Smoot. I think that's a great move.

We have a lot of things to complain about, but the defense is not on that list. Until our offense is putting up at least 21PPG consistently, we have bigger things to worry about.

Totally agree with ThePreciating.

Our defense has been fine. Imagine if we didn't make mistakes on the field (like everyone does). If we didn't blow a coverage, if we didnt miss a tackle, if we didnt take bad angles to the ball or ball carrier, if we could recover loose footballs or intercept sure passes..... we would be dominant.

Talk all about the schedule you want but our defense is fine. We have been put in bad situations and came out of them. We self destruct and shoot ourselves in the foot.

This "D" is fine. Our run defense has improved and our passing "D" is solid right now.

5th in the league overall

3rd against the pass.

Sure there's room for improvement and to eliminate mistakes, but what more do you want?

3rd and 24...what in the world were they thinking? How do you botch a coverage when the only shot was the end zone? The Skins for as long as I can remember seem to be the team that is most vulnerable in the NFL for giving up first downs on 3rd and long plays, no matter how highly ranked the defense. IMHO, that play and the fumbled punt took away any momentum the team had. At least for a few seconds, the Redskins seemed inspired after the TD. After the fumble and later the 3rd and long TD pass against them, they were in survival mode. Actually, they were in survival mode all game, but after the first Skin's TD they actually gave some folks hope, including me.

I'm not giving up on them, but man, they sure need to cut out the stupid mistakes, hang on to the ball, and make wise decisions. That requires discipline from the top down, and right now I ain't seein' it.

Landry has been a huge letdown. I thought he would be dishing out hits like Sean Taylor and playing with attitude. Instead he plays like a coward. He tries to lay dirty hits and make garbage plays because he isn't man enough to take people on with a form tackle that knocks them on their ass like Taylor was. Add to that the fact that he blows coverage all over the place (unlike ST again) and you have a player that really adds nothing to this team that Chris Horton, a 7th round throwaway pick in 2008 doesn't. He is overpayed, he was drafted way higher than he should have been, and I would rather have...oh I don't know...

Adrian Peterson

Patrick Willis

Michael Griffin

Jon Beason

Anthony Gonzalez

Tony Ugoh

Chris Henry

LaMarr Woodley

etc.

If the secondary is so bad, why in the hell is the pass defense ranked 3rd in the league.

Do some of you even bother too watch the games? I mean, the defense has been the bright spot. I'm as frustrated as any fan, but I'm not going to complain about the secondary.

McNabb drew Landry over, with a pump fake. Rogers was expecting safety help. Jackson was wide open. Just a good play by McNabb. Jesus Christ!! If you want to complain about something, complain about the offense.

We allowed what, 156 passing yards in that game?

Rogers was crap but other than that the secondary played well. I'm not sure why people keep saying Hall sucks, he has all of our team's INTs this year and I don't think he even gave up a catch last night.

couple of big plays and some just want to heap on, regardless

the defense is one of the few bright spots on this team this season

Rogers is a good coverage CB, but drops INTs

Hall isn't as good in coverage, but his speed keeps him in match-ups and he has a nose for the ball

Landry is being asked to play the role that ST did. How long was it before ST truly emerged in the role? It was his 4th season. Even Sean Taylor received criticism after '06. So this is Landry's 3rd season in a role that ST wasn't emerging in until his 4th season. What has stood out to me most with Landry is that he has been late to get a hit in on a bunch of plays, which coincides with difficulty in learning the role. Landry isn;t garbage, other players are, but keep the criticism for the unit that deserves it, the one playing on the other side of the ball.

Also, Doughty and Horton have been solid at SS as well. Tryon is getting more and more snaps.

Our D had a big problem stopping 3rd downs early in the season, but they have overcome that issue and are playing great, including our secondary. Other than Jackson, did any Philly receiver have a good day?

Landry has been a huge letdown. I thought he would be dishing out hits like Sean Taylor and playing with attitude. Instead he plays like a coward. He tries to lay dirty hits and make garbage plays because he isn't man enough to take people on with a form tackle that knocks them on their ass like Taylor was. Add to that the fact that he blows coverage all over the place (unlike ST again) and you have a player that really adds nothing to this team that Chris Horton, a 7th round throwaway pick in 2008 doesn't. He is overpayed, he was drafted way higher than he should have been, and I would rather have...oh I don't know...

Adrian Peterson

Patrick Willis

Michael Griffin

Jon Beason

Anthony Gonzalez

Tony Ugoh

Chris Henry

LaMarr Woodley

etc.

Here we go again. Sean taylor sean taylor sean taylor! shut up! You guys act like he was the only on the defense or the team for that matter. You guys always say how laron isnt sean so stop bringing it up. If he is nothing like sean, dont even mention laron in the same conversation.:mad: You're all babies,whine and cry after ever lose and blame on a player like they dont know how to do their job.

Here we go again. Sean taylor sean taylor sean taylor! shut up! You guys act like he was the only on the defense or the team for that matter. You guys always say how laron isnt sean so stop bringing it up. If he is nothing like sean, dont even mention laron in the same conversation.:mad: You're all babies,whine and cry after ever lose and blame on a player like they dont know how to do their job.

Sorry Laron, but you haven't lived up to expectations, whether we expected you to play like Sean, or perhaps just a 1st round safety, you've been a major disappointment.

Not to mention the cheap hits, taking bad angles time and time again, and cancellations of fan events at the last minute, you haven't done a thing to earn any respect around here.

Archived