Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

what's up with the secondary

Lar0n Landry

On that 3rd and 23 play. I was at the game and didnt see the replay but who blew the coverage on that play? I thought I saw Horton and Tryon down there when he scored...? Wasnt their 3 DB's down there?

Yes, Horton was there for sure, and also I think Tryon was as well.

Momentum...tell me it doesn't make a difference and I'll buy that argument that it was just another Eagle good play and that's all there was to it. I don't buy it.

It's true McNabb did his job, as the play was called, and Jackson hauled in the pass. Kudos to them. My problem with that particular play was that we were out coached. The players on the defensive side of the ball generally played well. But in this case, the Eagles called the right play against either:

a) the wrong defense

B) a blown coverage

It shouldn't have happened. Defenses can be great statisically but what was needed at that time was a defensive stand, either by design (good coaching decision) or by play (not blowing a coverage). That's what good defenses do, make the plays at the critical times of the game. Yes, right now our D is ranked highly...great, hope it continues. But honestly I think that the weak schedule to date has at least played a role in that ranking (vs. offensive powerhouses like the Lions, TB, etc.). I hope that they can continue playing tough the next 5 games, because they will need to keep things close the way things are going. If they can, then the we have a chance to win if...the offense can hang on to the ball.

Wow, um, you take out that Jackson big play and DMac has less then 100 passing against us Monday night. That play Laron fell for Dmac's lookoff (had to pick one side of the field because he was back there deep by himself) but other wise our defense including our secondary has kept us in every game this year. More pressure will make us better and that will come with time.

Wow, um, you take out that Jackson big play and DMac has less then 100 passing against us Monday night. That play Laron fell for Dmac's lookoff (had to pick one side of the field because he was back there deep by himself) but other wise our defense including our secondary has kept us in every game this year. More pressure will make us better and that will come with time.

Yes, that's true, even with 8 minutes left we were in the game, thanks to the defense. Also, mathematically, even giving up the 2 big Jackson plays, the defense kept us in the game. Turnovers were the big story last night. But, the truth is that we did give up those two big plays, and the last one was a momentum killer. You can take some good out of what happened last night, but the score is the bottom line in any game.

Hey, realistically, this team, this roster, can pull things together and win some games. Playoffs? Unlikely. But, there have been coaches (Redskin coaches in particular) in the past that have inspired good play from less talented rosters. Still, maybe they can find something within themselves and play tough, good enough to make us proud, no matter what record we wind up with. Beat the Cowboys...that would be a good start. Beat them twice...I'd be elated.

Sorry Laron, but you haven't lived up to expectations, whether we expected you to play like Sean, or perhaps just a 1st round safety, you've been a major disappointment.

Not to mention the cheap hits, taking bad angles time and time again, and cancellations of fan events at the last minute, you haven't done a thing to earn any respect around here.

Im glad i could help you practice what you WANT to say to laron whenever you get an oppurtunity to see him face to face but fact is im not him. and no matter how bad you wish you could say something that disrespectful to him it wont happen, you would never have the courage.

Hes got my respect so speak for yourself

Our secondary plays well but doesn't make plays and I fault our coaching on that. They dont put them in positions to make plays on defense. Our system is designed to defend the first down marker and not cause turnovers. We dont take chances or blitz enough!! They need to be flying around back there and cause turnovers. Laron Landry is really coming up short this year and I dont care what any of you all say! He's just not producing!! Rogers can't catch and D. Hall is the only one i'm confident in back there! When we let Springs go and kept Rogers I was pissed! Springs was always hurt but he was clearly better than stone hands Rogers.

Springs was the only guy we had that could cover. Carlos is garbage and D Hall is a playmaker with very poor coverage skills.

Sad but true, but also add that Smoot has lost a step and Tryon is not good as billed, and BArnes isn't trustworthy yet :/

lmfao ES fans think we HAVE A PASS RUSH..lmao the pass rush has improved but is still very inconsistant..I suggest es fans to go watch Minny,Bmore,NYG,Dal Pass rush ....then compare it to our's...you will see a major difference..3rd and 23 and the qb could have built a House back there..OAk sacked Mcnabb 6 times....how many times did we sack Mcnabb? Dont get me wrong we have improved ..and i think we are moving in the right direction but no team in the NFL fears the REDSKINS pass rush..:laugh:

3rd and 24...what in the world were they thinking? How do you botch a coverage when the only shot was the end zone? The Skins for as long as I can remember seem to be the team that is most vulnerable in the NFL for giving up first downs on 3rd and long plays, no matter how highly ranked the defense. IMHO, that play and the fumbled punt took away any momentum the team had. At least for a few seconds, the Redskins seemed inspired after the TD. After the fumble and later the 3rd and long TD pass against them, they were in survival mode. Actually, they were in survival mode all game, but after the first Skin's TD they actually gave some folks hope, including me.

I'm not giving up on them, but man, they sure need to cut out the stupid mistakes, hang on to the ball, and make wise decisions. That requires discipline from the top down, and right now I ain't seein' it.

Yeah that 3rd down play was downright unbelievable. McNabb and Jackson made Rogers and Horton look like total pieces of :pooh: on that play. That was just a simple pitch and catch. :doh: Any momentum plays last night were instantaneously negated by bonehead plays.

I posted this on the "Trade Landry" thread, but I will post here as well, just so we are all clear....

I think trading Landry is a horrible idea. You know why he doesn't "contribute"? Because no quarterback ever passes near him. He is a deep blanket. When a different safety is deep (ahem, Horton, ahem) they get burned. Landry doesn't allow deep plays... EVER. The one time Stafford tried to go deep on him, Landry swatted the pass in the air and D. Hall picked it off.

Yeah he took a bad angle on the DeSean Jackson run last night, he isn't perfect. I agree he needs to get back to form tackling and not trying to light everyone up.

He's a big reason the team hasn't allowed 28 points in the last 28 games. The guy stops big plays, just like Sean Taylor did. Now if only Landry can start picking some passes off, he'll be a great player.

The Redskins have only allowed 3 pass plays of 30 yards+ all season.

1. Horton/Rogers getting burned by D. Jackson last night.

2. Rogers getting beat by Bowe, turned a short gain into a 32 yards gain with like 15 yards of YAC.

3. Manningham touchdown where Carter/Hall failed to push him out of bounds. That was like 26 yards of YAC.

Landry is extremely valuable. You don't see him because he is always doing his job, and QB's have to try and exploit something else in our defense.

As for Rogers, et al, only 3 passes over 30 yards speaks volumes for our entire pass defense. They rarely give up big plays or points. (28 straight games allowing 27 or less points)

I think everyone is up in arms because they think a) the whole team is garbage when in reality our offense is the problem, and B) the defense gave up two big plays last night.

Our secondary is aweful.

Carlos is crap. Can't cover anyone and gets burned on big plays often. He is not a shut down corner we need. And, the cushion he gives is just ridiculous.

Need to get Kevin Barnes into the mix. The guy is a physical player and can cover.

The 3rd and 24 was god awful but overall the D did fine. They forced a lot of three and outs, especially following turnovers by the offense and special teams that gave the eagles great field position.

Points the D gave up: 14. Not bad against the Eagles. It was two big plays.

Points the O gave up: 13

Archived