Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Maybe better players would improve Zorn's play-calling

Dirk Diggler

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8138b12f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Going into the season, the Redskins had an aging offensive line that was destined to become ravaged with injuries, a running back that may have seen his better days, no real offensive skill players that could scare a defense, and a quarterback that was never meant for the West Coast offense.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d8138b12f&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Going into the season, the Redskins had an aging offensive line that was destined to become ravaged with injuries, a running back that may have seen his better days, no real offensive skill players that could scare a defense, and a quarterback that was never meant for the West Coast offense.

Hmmm...you mean we could have used those #2 picks for something better than often-injured, heartless WRs and TE?

Damn.

Just more hate.....Zorn's track record speaks for itself, as does the poor creativity that his offensive game planning has shown over the course of his stay here. Zorn is not HEAD COACHING MATERIAL right now.....he might have been fine up in a booth calling plays, but to try and do that and be a Head Coach is just a joke....which has been proven. I don't care what players he had, i think the results would've been similar. The media is having a field day hating on Snyder, for him being such a prick to everyone over the years.....and now Jim Zorns lousy coaching has finally exposed the front office, where as Gibbs, Schotty, and others had helped mask the defficiencies in our front office. Even Spurrier was better than Jim Zorn, and that's saying something. Spurrier didn't even have the talent that Zorn has to work with, and got better resluts.,

Maybe we'd win a couple more games with better players.

But this is a coach's league. Look at what Josh McDaniels is doing in Denver. He's made that defense legit with basically the same guys.

I really wouldn't mind if Cerrato was fired and Zorn stayed on for another year or so but with less duties (no more QB coaching, just coach the team and call the plays), because we do have two years in with him. But I understand that he won't be back and I'm kinda 50/50 with it. I wish it had been successful with him here obviously but he was set up to fail.

Cerrato is the biggest problem right now, but then you had to wonder if he had Zorn in his ear saying "No, we can win with that offensive line, don't worry about drafting any linemen", which I think is possible.

But this is a coach's league. Look at what Josh McDaniels is doing in Denver. He's made that defense legit with basically the same guys.

Denver has 8 new starters on D this year...

JZ has been preaching the need to execute better publically since at least the Steelers loss last year. I'd say if they're still not doing it at this point they need to be benched no matter who they are.

i keep hearing this every week, about how it's the not the plays and when they watch the game films, the plays are good, it's just the players not executing it properly

now, i'm not a head coach or OC, but it players aren't executing, shouldn't the coach make some changes (bench the players that are consistently not executing) and see if someone else can execute the plays properly

Denver has 8 new starters on D this year...

For every Broncos story, there's a Titans story. Hell, WE were the Broncos this time last year... There is no magic formula in the NFL.

Well, McDaniels IS doing a great job. But Mike Nolan runs that defense and has 8 new starters on it...

I like what McDaniel's has done with Kyle Orton and the O, in such little time with a new scheme and new hand picked qb.

But Mike Nolan deserves the credit with that "D".

i keep hearing this every week, about how it's the not the plays and when they watch the game films, the plays are good, it's just the players not executing it properly

now, i'm not a head coach or OC, but it players aren't executing, shouldn't the coach make some changes (bench the players that are consistently not executing) and see if someone else can execute the plays properly

You have the right idea which is why we KNOW that the coaching is horrible. No adjustments, no implementation of new schemes or plays, use of gadget plays in the first two games of the season.. Pathetic!:doh:

I think that the players are descent. I wouldn't mention more than one or two of them in a pro-bowl debate. Everytime I hear Jim Zorn talk about execution, I think about how many times they couldn't punch in the TD on 1st and goal. I mean...there were numerous times over the past year and a half that the redskins were stuffed on the goal line over and over. How much confidence would that give you as a play caller?

Your playbook gets smaller and smaller when you can't count on your players to take on their man and move the ball.

That said...we have seen much adjustment on Zorn's part. We have seen the times that he "let's Clinton Portis rest". We've witnessed him sit down Jason Campbell (whether you agree or not). You've seen Cooley used more as a blocker and chipping to make up for the OLine. You've seen different variations of our receiver corp. Betts, Rock, Sellers running the ball. We've seen more shotgun formations. Deep balls.

It just hasn't worked. SO, people will say that Zorn has made zero adjustment with the players he has.

We'll see what happens with a new play caller...but I am expecting similar results.

I think that the players are descent. I wouldn't mention more than one or two of them in a pro-bowl debate. Everytime I hear Jim Zorn talk about execution, I think about how many times they couldn't punch in the TD on 1st and goal. I mean...there were numerous times over the past year and a half that the redskins were stuffed on the goal line over and over. How much confidence would that give you as a play caller?

Your playbook gets smaller and smaller when you can't count on your players to take on their man and move the ball.

That said...we have seen much adjustment on Zorn's part. We have seen the times that he "let's Clinton Portis rest". We've witnessed him sit down Jason Campbell (whether you agree or not). You've seen Cooley used more as a blocker and chipping to make up for the OLine. You've seen different variations of our receiver corp. Betts, Rock, Sellers running the ball. We've seen more shotgun formations. Deep balls.

It just hasn't worked. SO, people will say that Zorn has made zero adjustment with the players he has.

We'll see what happens with a new play caller...but I am expecting similar results.

Good post. I share similar thoughts on the matter.

Archived