Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Positive Thread: Sacks (Orakpo, Carter, Haynesworth)

Soup

I think the most impressive part about these guys getting so many sacks is that they are getting such few attempts to rush the passer.

If you look at the other sack leaders you have Freeney, Allen, Dumervil, and Harrison. All of these guys play for elite teams with great offenses that are either blowing teams away or are involved in a shootout. Because of this, their getting alot more chances to rush the passer. Our guys are playing from behind most of the time and still putting up great numbers.

This is a fantastic point. Our guys rarely have a chance to pin their ears back and go. Hopefully we can tune up the offensive personnel and Orakpo and co. will look even better next year.

That's the very reason he's not playing with his hand in dirt every down. At his size, he's a liability against the run right now.

Orakpo is bigger than Carter and similarly sized to umenyiore. I hope he doesn't get a lot bigger. What he really needs to work on is refining his technique. As strong as he is, Orakpo should really be able to anchor better than Carter with a little time to develop.

Sacks and overall pressure on the QB has changed since last season. Carter has 6 sacks more than any DE in the NFC east and the over hyped and over paided Peppers in carolina.

Orakpo also leads the rookies with 4 sacks

Two factors that are attributing to these stats, Haynesworth and the weak schedule. But, just because the skins have had a weak schedule doesn't mean the Oline players they have faced are not quality players.

I'd also like to point out the playing of Golston and wonder why they don't leave him in more. The fact that both Griff and Daniels are over the hill makes you wonder how many sacks this team could have had if they put in orkapo, golston, and jarmon in more.

don't juast assume weak schedule. We have several strong pass rushers

The question is... How long will these guys continue to perform well on defense while getting ZERO support from the Offense?????

I know they have to be frustrated.

hey, if they're frustrated why not take it out on the guys across from them?

Orakpo v. Ware

Orakpo: 6 games, 20 tackles, 3.5 sacks

Ware: 5 games, 22 tackles, 2 sacks

At this point in the season, Rak is playing as well or better than Ware (a perennial pro bowler and player whose role is the same). GREAT first round pick!

Orakpo is a great pass rusher, but I don't trust him against the run. I've seen TEs take him on and block him out of the play far too often. Granted, he's just a rookie and I really like his pass rushing skills, but he doesn't look effective against the run.

This is the biggest Football Myth EVER!

Others have shown how Demarcus Ware or Osi whom are similar in size to Orakpo have success against the run.But I'll list another..

Elvis Dumervil for Denver is Height: 5-11 Weight: 248lbs. He's even small for an OLB and he's matched up against Tackles on running downs and plays the run well. He's leading the league in sacks lined up at DE. So please stop listing Orakpo's size as an hindrance for him playing DE. Its about leverage, technique, and heart!

I don't know about Wilson, he is just a pure rusher IMO. I like seeing him in 3rd downs and passing plays but not as a starter.

Wilson needs to be on the field at all times. He's a great rusher, athlete, and a playmaker. Before its over he will be our starting OLB. My sig has been saying it for months now ;)

I am with you... I see the same thing with Big Al. I want to think I am wrong and hope he is a great team-mate but I do not sense that. I guess really, all that matters is he is stuffing the line and others are getting to the QB now.

I think Albert has been a monster for us so far. He doesn't have the best stamina, but when he is in he is giving everything he's got; he's always disruptive. He does get winded and often lies down just because he is tired, but think about it; our Defense gets no rest on the sidelines because our Offense just goes 3 and out. Anyone facing a double team every down would get fatigued.

I also think he's actually become one of the leaders of this team. Our defense plays with much more intensity than in years past, and I think some of that credit should be directed his way. Andre Carter said Haynesworth gave a very loud and emotional speech after the past game. You could even see some of that leadership during training camp. Haynesworth was one of the players leading the rookie hazing, I know it is a bit childish but it helps create a team bond. It also seems he's kinda taken Orakpo under his wing a little bit.

15 sacks as a team this year by week 6. We only had 24 total last year. I think we are meeting our goal with D-line improvement as well as QB pressure.

yup and matt mosley has the balls to say haynesworth has been a major dissapointment. uhhhhh hes actually done EXACTLY what we wanted him to. i understand we suck mosley but dont be a dick just to be a dick.

While I am pumped about the stats as well, I also think the fact that our defense has probably been on the field longer than any NFL team is also a factor.

We get DESTROYED in time of possession every game. Our defense is on the field constantly, giving them more opportunities to get sacks than a team like the Giants whose offense controls the games with long drives.

Regardless - it is an improvement and our D-line has looked great at times this season (especially early in games).

yup and matt mosley has the **** to say haynesworth has been a major dissapointment. uhhhhh hes actually done EXACTLY what we wanted him to. i understand we **** mosley but dont be a **** just to be a ****.

Let him be a ****. I love it when we get no love from the press. I would pay them to say bad things if I could. :D

As for your rampant use of profanity coupled with your aversion to upper case and overall poor grammar... :doh:

To build on my post above regarding time of possession, here is a link to all NFL teams ranked by time of possession per game:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=TM&statisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TIME_OF_POSS_SECONDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

We rank 30th with 27:04 minutes per game, which obviously means we don't have the ball 32:96 of each game. Our defense is on the field more than almost every other NFL team, which I think is a factor (just one) that is leading to more sacks. More opportunities = more sacks.

However, I still think we MUCH improved on the d-line I just want to bring up all factors that may be contributing to the higher numbers.

To build on my post above regarding time of possession, here is a link to all NFL teams ranked by time of possession per game:

http://www.nfl.com/stats/categorystats?season=2009&seasonType=REG&d-447263-o=2&conference=ALL&tabSeq=2&role=TM&statisticCategory=GAME_STATS&d-447263-p=1&d-447263-s=TIME_OF_POSS_SECONDS_PER_GAME_AVG&d-447263-n=1

We rank 30th with 27:04 minutes per game, which obviously means we don't have the ball 32:96 of each game. Our defense is on the field more than almost every other NFL team, which I think is a factor (just one) that is leading to more sacks. More opportunities = more sacks.

However, I still think we MUCH improved on the d-line I just want to bring up all factors that may be contributing to the higher numbers.

I wouldn't look at time of possession as a significant marked, as that mostly reflects our offenses ineptness. If you wanted to criticize our defense I think third down conversion rate may be a better measure, although I'm too lazy to lok it up.

I also think that if you want to look at our opportunities to get sacks, you should look at the number of attempted passes against the team, versus the numbers of sacks. That still wouldn't take into account that teams never have to come from behind against us and can run on 1st and 2nd down if they choose. The Colts etc, probably get a lot more opportunities where the D-line is ONLY worried about rushing the passer.

We rank 30th with 27:04 minutes per game, which obviously means we don't have the ball 32:56 of each game. Our defense is on the field more than almost every other NFL team, which I think is a factor (just one) that is leading to more sacks. More opportunities = more sacks.

Actually, what that means is our defense is that much better than advertised. A defense on the field that long each game should be giving up more than 16 points/game (a horrible number by the way, our offense has contributed directly to 9 points for the opponent, which removed would move our PPG down to 14.5). Even the most inept professional offense will score a few points if they have the ball more than half the game, no matter what defense is on the field.

Archived