Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Thought we were bad THEN? Look at NOW!

AirMayo21

In the 1994 season, we actually posted more points in the first 6 games than we are now. That season, we finished 3-13.

1994- Vs Seahawks, L 28-7

@ Saints, W 38-24

@ Giants, L 31-23

Vs Falcons, L 27-20

Vs Cowboys, L 34-7

@ Eagles, L 21-17

Record of 1-5, 112 points scored, AVG 18.6 PPG

Now (2009)- @ Giants, L 23-17

Vs Rams, W 9-7

@ Lions, L 19-14

Vs Buccaneers, W 16-13

@ Panthers, L 20-17

Vs Chiefs, L 14-6

Record of 2-4, 79 points scored, AVG 13.1 PPG

Andre Carter is sixth in the league with 5.5 sacks. Deangelo Hall is 5th in the league with 3 interceptions.

What does that have to do with what the OP was saying? I think he/she was mainly comparing the points we scored...Which would have to do with the offense...And unfortunately Andre Carter's 5.5 sacks and DeAngelo Hall's 3 interceptions have nothing to do with it.

Andre Carter is sixth in the league with 5.5 sacks. Deangelo Hall is 5th in the league with 3 interceptions.

That's one way to get some enjoyment out of the season - follow some individual players' progress. Despite getting shutout last week, Cooley is 7th among tight ends in receptions and yards. London Fletcher is justifying a push to get him into his first Pro Bowl. Orakpo is accumulating sacks.

It looks like the team is going nowhere. But we can root for Redskin players.

I don't like this comparison because it fails to take into consideration our defense this year. The defense is really good, good enough to carry the team. All the offense has to do is not blow it, something that sadly looks unlikely.

I'm not talking about defense here, just our points scored. I know our defense is great, but our offense just isnt up to par. Remember how bad the 1994 team was? Heath Shuler?

I've asked my dad and my brother about 1993 (4-12) and 1994 (3-13) and they still agreed that 2009 is the worst the team has ever been. Even the only time we have ever finished last in the league at 1-12-1 in the early 60's, we still got it done by not losing to Dallas. (perhaps there's still some hope for that)

Norv always had competent offenses that put up points. Gus Frerrotte, Trent Green, and Brad Johnson all threw for over 3000 yards and close to 20 or more TDs under him. Terry Allen and Stephen Davis had productive years too.

It's just that he was incompetent at winning ;) But hell, at least we were in the damn games. I miss being at least semi-competitive.

Yes, losing to some of the worst teams is what has us at the bottom of people's power rankings lists. Yes, our offense doesn't score any points. There is no new news here.

Let's not wallow in it though. Let's also not exaggerate, there's plenty of actual truth to be disappointed in. We are one lucky TD, one lucky play from winning during any of these games. I mean, we actually lost worst against the Chiefs unfortunately, but if Todd doesn't get tackled for that safety I suppose we could have won that game.

I'm not trying to say this season we're any good. As others have said, though, so far the defense kept us in every game, and the remaining games have to be played until they are in the books. Yeah it would make sense to expect the team to get beaten badly at this point, but I guess the games have to be played before we christen this team one of the worst in history. We just feel that way going in - that much is certain.

Archived