Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Portis and 10,000 yards

RedskinsSuperBowl21

Clinton Portis needs 460 yards to get to 10,000 for his career and he is only 28.

42 ypg the remainder of this year.

While this team is in shambles I am attempting to dig up some positive this season.

With the way the offensive line is looking and the way Sellers is blocking he will be lucky to get 4.2 ypg.

Portis will see 10,000.

I don't think he will see 12,000.

He has the heart, but he just has hit the wall. And it's only going to get worse next year.

It's interesting how the wall hits RBs.

Edge James is the current active leader in career running yards. He's played 10 full seasons and is currently at 12,226 yards. His production dropped off after his 7th season at the 2,100 carry mark and he just limped to 514 yards last season.

LT is 2nd with 11,830 his production dropped after his 6th season at the 2,000 carry mark. And then dropped again in the 7th season. Now in his 8th season, he looks done.

Fred Taylor is 3rd at 11,472, but he is in his 12th season. He's actually kind of been up and down based on how healthy he has been. He has only had 1 year with a really heavy workload (> 300 carries), so he did not hit the 2,100 mark until his 9th season. Interestingly, his production has been fairly steady without dramatic drops. Short seasons and splitting carries I think has allowed him to kind of steadily reach his number.

Next is Jamal Lewis at 10,319. He seemed to hit the wall around the 2,100 carry mark at the end of his 7th season.

Then we get to Portis. 9,540 yards. He hit the 2,100 carry mark last season in his 7th year. He certainly looks like a different back. I don't see him experiencing a resurgence and getting to 12,000.

(All numbers from http://www.pro-football-reference.com/)

I love how people say "only" 28...like he's been so healthy...his career has been riddled with injuries. The last and only year he was fully healthy was 2005.

2002: healthy

2003: Missed 3 games due to injuries (Sternum Injury, Ankle sprain) back when he used to practice

2004: Missed 1 game due to pectoral injury

2005: healthy

2006: Placed on Injured reserve, missing 7 games (broken hand, seperated shoulder)

2007: Began playing with injured ankles, and calf strain (does not practice anymore)

2008: moderatley healthy, although knee problems and ankle problems mounting

2009: not healthy...injured calf, suffered high ankle sprain...playing on bone chips/spurs in both ankles....outlook grim for 09 season....

Portis will see 10,000.

He has the heart, but he just has hit the wall. And it's only going to get worse next year.

Edge James is the current active leader in career running yards. He's played 10 full seasons and is currently at 12,226 yards. His production dropped off after his 7th season at the 2,100 carry mark and he just limped to 514 yards last season.

LT is 2nd with 11,830 his production dropped after his 6th season at the 2,000 carry mark. And then dropped again in the 7th season. Now in his 8th season, he looks done.

Fred Taylor is 3rd at 11,472, but he is in his 12th season. He's actually kind of been up and down based on how healthy he has been. He has only had 1 year with a really heavy workload (> 300 carries), so he did not hit the 2,100 mark until his 9th season. Interestingly, his production has been fairly steady without dramatic drops. Short seasons and splitting carries I think has allowed him to kind of steadily reach his number.

Next is Jamal Lewis at 10,319. He seemed to hit the wall around the 2,100 carry mark at the end of his 7th season.

Then we get to Portis. 9,540 yards. He hit the 2,100 carry mark last season in his 7th year. He certainly looks like a different back. I don't see him experiencing a resurgence and getting to 12,000.

With running backs, age doesn't seem to matter. What seems to matter is carries. They appear to have a certain number of carries in them and when that number is hit, they start to go downhill very very quickly.

Football Outsiders had a huge piece on the impact of 370 carries in a season on a number of runners. 2000 carries in a careeer seems to be another number of note, though maybe it is 2100.

It’s sad that in the Snyder era we only have the personal achievements of individual players to celebrate.

No doubt if CP hits that 10k in a meaningless late season game there will a marketing bonanza of commemorative merchandise.

Like Bruce Smith becoming the all time sack leader in a Redskins uni! Waahoo!

:snore:

It’s sad that in the Snyder era we only have the personal achievements of individual players to celebrate.

No doubt if CP hits that 10k in a meaningless late season game there will a marketing bonanza of commemorative merchandise.

Like Bruce Smith becoming the all time sack leader in a Redskins uni! Waahoo!

:snore:

You can bet everything you are worth that Portis cares more about 10,000 yards and the redskins rushing title solely for the $$$ marketing opportunities it would surely create. He doesnt give a crap what Uniform he wears.. He would make money off all the commemorative **** that they would create, like the tasteless redskins hat that had a september 11th patch on it...

With running backs' date=' age doesn't seem to matter. What seems to matter is carries. They appear to have a certain number of carries in them and when that number is hit, they start to go downhill very very quickly.

Football Outsiders had a huge piece on the impact of 370 carries in a season on a number of runners. 2000 carries in a careeer seems to be another number of note, though maybe it is 2100.[/quote']

Check out this thread about Portis.

I like him as a runner, but at what point do we move on with a younger back?

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=303034

You can bet everything you are worth that Portis cares more about 10,000 yards and the redskins rushing title solely for the $$$ marketing opportunities it would surely create. He doesnt give a crap what Uniform he wears.. He would make money off all the commemorative **** that they would create, like the tasteless redskins hat that had a september 11th patch on it...

I have to disagree with that response. It is rather tasteless to assume you know a players motivation and passion for a game they have spent their whole lives training. If all Portis cares about is yardage milestones then he would not constantly throw great blocks with no regard to the wear and tear on his body. Your ignorant response is just a sample of what is wrong with the attitude of this fan base and the majority of this messageboard.

:logo:

Portis will see 10,000.

Awesome post. These statistics are very revealing.

I believe Portis is past his true primme but he has more miles left on his tires than he is given credit for.

This years offensive line is dismal. The blocking schemes are down right terrible and Mike Sellers is having trouble choosing who to block on his lead block because any part of the line can let someone loose at any moment.

With a good protection I think Portis can still be an everydown back this year and next but finding a young replacement for the future should be a goal after we rebuild the lines.

Archived