Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Will a "stinger" prevent a player from returning? (Samuels related)

Leonard Washington

I know this may cause some controversy here, but I'm a little confused as to why Samuels didn't return after his stinger? I imagine they are pretty painful but 9.5/10 times a player returns to the game--sometimes after sitting out a play or a series at most. Given that this happened so early in the game, he had plenty of time to be recover. I was shocked to see him in street clothes soon after.

Does Samuels have a pre-existing condition in his neck--maybe that's the reason for the neck restrictor he wears--or is he just paranoid?

Do you think he had a knee injury instead? He sort of blocked his guy and then took a knee. I didn't notice any head contact at all.

If memory there was also a report that stated he had felt numbness in his arm. Remember how the trainers were checking that arm and asking Chris about it. This probably more than got the attention of trainers,team physician?,and coaches. Chris's decision to not return quite possibly wasn't his to make.

Chris is one tough SOB and for him not to return and let Batiste play leads me to believe that it could be more than just a stinger. Just speculating. But yes, if it's just a stinger players come back the next week and in some cases the same game.

BTW. The fans are also tough SOB's because we get hit with stingers every week and come back for more the next week.

My stepson got a Stinger playing football four years ago. He got a helmet to helmet hit. They were getting ready to fly him out via helicopter to Children's Hospital in DC from Southern Maryland when he freaked out and refused to let them take him. He got there by ambulance an hour later.

I joined up at Childrens Hospital and they had him strapped to a board which I got them to remove. He had problems with gripping hands with any strength and saying the alphabet backwards. This injury was serious enough that he never played another down again.

So... sorry for the bad news, but it's a serious injury. They diagnosed it as a "Stinger"

My stepson got a Stinger playing football four years ago. He got a helmet to helmet hit. They were getting ready to fly him out via helicopter to Children's Hospital in DC from Southern Maryland when he freaked out and refused to let them take him. He got there by ambulance an hour later.

I joined up at Childrens Hospital and they had him strapped to a board which I got them to remove. He had problems with gripping hands with any strength and saying the alphabet backwards. This injury was serious enough that he never played another down again.

So... sorry for the bad news, but it's a serious injury. They diagnosed it as a "Stinger"

It sounds like your stepson had more than a stinger. Was his head down on the helmet to helmet contact? That would have caused stress to his spine resulting in something more serious.

how do you expect a guy to push a Defender back when he has neurological issues in both arms? He would have gone in if he could. End of thread.

From browsing online, it says the symptoms of a stinger typically last for seconds or minutes.

Athletes with a stinger often describe a sensation of ‘electricity,’ warmth, discomfort and/or numbness. They may often report arm weakness. Symptoms tend to be brief, lasting seconds to minutes. With more significant injury, symptoms can last hours or even days and weeks.

Given that he was shut down upon the next series suggests that Chris had a relatively severe version of the injury or something else.

It sounds like your stepson had more than a stinger. Was his head down on the helmet to helmet contact? That would have caused stress to his spine resulting in something more serious.

I wasn't there when he got hit. He had a "Stinger" and walked away after about eight hours in the hospital and a CT scan. The doc told us to take him out of football and lacrosse.

I wasn't there when he got hit. He had a "Stinger" and walked away after about eight hours in the hospital and a CT scan. The doc told us to take him out of football and lacrosse.

It sounds like the term "stinger" is being used similar to "concussion". I've had both, and both injuries are hard to initially diagnose other than asking the player how he feels. My personal experience with stingers have not been serious at all.

Okay so 'stinger' is a loose term used, and poorly used for a neck injury so that is why we are getting variations from posters here.

If it was his first time with this "nerve impingment/compression/stinger" than yes he should have been out. Stinger is a poor term for a neck injury from contact in football but its mainly the compression of nerves in the vertebrae that causes radiating pain down the arms.

Per bubba

Redskins play musical chairs

By: John Keim

Examiner Staff Writer

October 13, 2009

Samuels' injury forces offensive line reshuffle

ASHBURN - The Redskins' offense needs changes, which is why a consultant arrived in town last week. This sort of change isn't what they had in mind; and it can't be good for the future.

Meanwhile, cornerback Carlos Rogers said the responsibility for this season's sluggish start does not end with the players and coaches.

Left tackle Chris Samuels will miss Sunday's game vs. Kansas City because of a neck injury suffered in Sunday's 20-17 loss at Carolina. It's uncertain how much time he will miss. Coach Jim Zorn said Samuels has spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal canal.

This setback forces a reshuffling of the offensive line, which already is minus right guard Randy Thomas for the season.

Stephon Heyer will move from right tackle to replace Samuels; Mike Williams will shift from right guard, where he started Sunday, to right tackle, his natural spot. Zorn said he's not sure who will play right guard: Will Montgomery or Chad Rinehart.

continue reading.....

So it was something more serious---spinal stenosis, a narrowing of the spinal canal.

Take all the time you need big fella. It's amazing he's gone this long without an incident.

A bit more re: spinal stenosis.

Spinal stenosis is a medical condition in which the spinal canal narrows and compresses the spinal cord and nerves. This is usually due to the common occurrence of spinal degeneration that occurs with aging. It can also sometimes be caused by spinal disc herniation, osteoporosis or a tumor. In the cervical (neck) and lumbar (low back) region it can be a congenital condition to varying degrees.

Explains why I have a mate who is now in a wheelchair after getting a stinger, then returning to the game.

A bit more re: spinal stenosis.

Spinal stenosis is a medical condition in which the spinal canal narrows and compresses the spinal cord and nerves. This is usually due to the common occurrence of spinal degeneration that occurs with aging. It can also sometimes be caused by spinal disc herniation, osteoporosis or a tumor. In the cervical (neck) and lumbar (low back) region it can be a congenital condition to varying degrees.

Explains why I have a mate who is now in a wheelchair after getting a stinger, then returning to the game.

exactly////

To answer the thread title,NO. I honest to goodness get stingers ALL THE TIME. You get numbness. You get a tingly feeling. But feeling usually returns a few plays later. Samuels is soft if all he had was a stinger.

There's some players on this team you can call soft, but 60 aint one of them, actually there's alot of players, but not 60.

Archived