Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Mike Wise, WP: Zorn could be Snyders winningest coach yet

SWFLSkins

After reading the board the last week you can't help but see everyone and their brother(s) getting the blame for the play of the Redskins. Yet there they sit at 2-2. The season is young, the team has not exactly come together on Defense or Offense. The organization is being shredded daily in the media with wild speculation about possible coaching changes.

After reading the following in the WP in an article by UnWise Mike, I can't help but believe the Head Coach is the least of the three responsible for the performance of the team. Certainly his playcalling is suspect, but has this latest move by the FO helped him in his task at hand or simply undermined the HC?

The players certainly share the blame. There has been a general lack of effort at times and by certain players. Dropped balls and not continuing to run routes comes readily to mind when considering the wideouts. I think anytime you gauge an offense, you must first weigh the quality of the OL. And that is the job of the FO.

So I have the current plight as the FO, the players and then Zorn as responsible parties. The FO could come out and be alittle stronger in supporting the guy who they thought so highly of just a few moons back. That would be the right thing to do, right now. Hey we are backing Zorn, this year at the least.

-----------------------From Wise....

Did you know Zorn is a Carolina victory away on Sunday from being the winningest coach, by percentage, in Snyder's 10-year tenure as owner? He's at 10-10 after 20 games, his .500 percentage is tied with Marty Schottenheimer, better than Joe Gibbs II (.469), Norv Turner (.450), Steve Spurrier (.375) and Terry Robiskie (.333).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/07/AR2009100703828_2.html?nav=emailpage

So whats your take?

My take is why do you start a thread with a post you already used on a topic that has already been discussed?

For others that didn't see the other threads, the answer is that none of the other coaches took over winning teams.

Zorn took over a team coming off of a playoff appearance and 2 in the previous 3 years.

They all however beat teams by more than a single score, scored more than 30 and beat a team that finished with 10 or more wins other than Zorn, unless Detroit or Tampa end up with 10 wins this year.

I'll bite.....First, this is not a true comparison. .500 is not that great second off. Third, Marty got fired after one season and never was given a chance. Fourth, Gibbs II had 4 years and had to clean up Spurrier's mess. Fifth, Steve "mother ****ing" Spurrier is an idiot at the pro level (epic fail with trading Davis and letting Trung Candidate be a featured back, not to mention collecting half ass Florida Gator players, etc.). Norv is the only true coach given more time than needed, but it's Norv and he was extremely conservative.

If you settle for a mediocre .500 winning percentage where the glass is half full and half empty, so be it. I want more and Zorn in all likely hood will not deliver in the long run.

*edit* Zorn inherited a team that made the playoffs 2 out of the last three years under Gibbs II, kinda like Gruden inheriting a Super Bowl caliber team from Dungy and getting all the credit.

-----------------------From Wise....

Did you know Zorn is a Carolina victory away on Sunday from being the winningest coach, by percentage, in Snyder's 10-year tenure as owner? He's at 10-10 after 20 games, his .500 percentage is tied with Marty Schottenheimer, better than Joe Gibbs II (.469), Norv Turner (.450), Steve Spurrier (.375) and Terry Robiskie (.333).

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/10/07/AR2009100703828_2.html?nav=emailpage

So whats your take?

Technically, wasn't Turner something like 17-12 while under Snyder? lol...

*edit* Zorn inherited a team that made the playoffs 2 out of the last three years under Gibbs II, kinda like Gruden inheriting a Super Bowl caliber team from Dungy and getting all the credit.

That depends on who you ask lol...to more than a few ES members, the Skins that Zorn inherited were a mediocre team that needed two "miracle" runs at the end of 2005 and 2007 in order to "back into" the playoffs. The team that went 6-10 and 5-11 in the other years were the "real" Redskins.

thats why I want to see him succeed as a coach. I am ****ing tired of retreads. Lets build a new coach. I hope they hold out and be a little more patient like snyder said before they hired him.

I think the media all in all could cost Zorns job.

Technically, wasn't Turner something like 17-12 while under Snyder? lol...

Yes he was. We were 7-6 and still had a shot at the playoffs when Turner was fired after we'd gone 10-6 the year before. While I couldn't stand Norv, the whole 2000 fiasco rests squarely on Snyder (Deion, Bruce Smith and Jeff George - cuz, you know, if you have a QB who threw for 4000 yards & 24 TDs the first thing you should do when taking over a team is sign Jeff "leadership is overrated" George).

The worst part about this is it shows just how terribly this team has been run over the last decade.

And for those of you saying that we've been to the playoffs 2 or the last 3 years. Well that's true. It is also true that we were 5-11 & 9-7 with an aging roster in the two years prior to Zorn taking over. Spurrier's record n the 2 years he coached before Gibbs taking over? 7-9 &*5-11 only 2 games worse over 2 seasons.

My take is why do you start a thread with a post you already used on a topic that has already been discussed?

For others that didn't see the other threads, the answer is that none of the other coaches took over winning teams.

Zorn took over a team coming off of a playoff appearance and 2 in the previous 3 years.

They all however beat teams by more than a single score, scored more than 30 and beat a team that finished with 10 or more wins other than Zorn, unless Detroit or Tampa end up with 10 wins this year.

It was not the post, it was Wise's comments I used in response and I thought his comments were worth discussing. Hope that appeases you.

I don't think Zorn is blameless and stated as much, I do however feel that the FO failed to address what most of the posters here thought, the OL would not do this year. And it has not. They failed to properly address the OL in the draft with those number 2's the year before and with any of the picks last year. The team is a mess, but while Zorn is the least responsible, is the most likely to pay the cost.

I also think Gibbs II recognized some of the problems fast arising and thought he should leave before further damage was done to his HOF status. Gibbs clearly tried to help this organization and his impact as such has seen little benefit.

And the cycle continues.

I'm not giving up on Zorn just yet. I think Jason Campbell was right when he said it's the players not the Coaches. Zorn has made some questionable calls early in the season but IMO, his playcalling has gotten better and he's given the team every opportunity to succeed. He's not the one out there throwing picks, dropping passes and tripping over his own feet.

If nothing else, it seems like Blache's scheme looked a little more aggressive last week too. I saw him using stunts to move Big Al around and it paid off for our defense.

What it comes down to for me is that Zorn could be a very good coach but he doesn't have the tools to work with, particularly at QB.

The problems with this team go well beyond Zorn.

Zorn never had a shot here in DC with the mess that is Ashburn

You have to go to the top and see just how awful it is

Enough for me, this is my GM or did I wake up not owning the Redskins?

If Snyder reads this board he should hire SHF ASAP.

Archived