Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

10/26- Hiring of new coach, how does the team respond?

88Comrade2000

I've said an in season firing means you have given up on the season.

I think the hiring of Sherman Lewis means only one thing and it isn't the propaganda Vinny is spewing. It means Dan Snyder is seriously looking into bringing in the next Skins head coach after the bye.

I think that head coach has more or less been hired. Hello Mike _________ ? It will be either Holmgren or Shanahan.

After the Eagles game on 10/25 Zorn will be fired. Dan will go thru the motions of interview Sherman Lewis for head coach that night but in reality his next hire will be flying in on Monday: 10/26. They will hash out the final details and by the evening on 10/26 Mike Shanahan or Mike Holmgren is announced as our new head coach. Sherman Lewis will be promoted to assistant head coach.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

This has never happened before, hiring a new coach during the season. I am starting to believe it is a serious possibility.

What happens to this team if that become reality? How will the players respond? What about the rest of the coaching staff?

If this happens, it will happen very quickly and will have to for it to work. You would only hire a coach in season because you believe that coach could possibly turn it around or it gives the head coach a head start on 2010.

To play along with this scenario (which I think has 10 percent chance of occurring at best)

If this coach is smart, he uses the final 9 games for evaluation. He should know the season is lost, tanks games to get a high draft pick and figure out where to go in the offseason.

The players response? The vets mail it in, young guys who need a fresh start turn it on and play hard

If it happens, I called it!

There is something going on behind the scenes. Dan Snyder can't sit this long watching this and not being doing something.

This is crazy,insane and out of left field but with our owner: Dan Snyder and his puppet: Vinny Cerrato; this is at least has a 50% chance of happening. Dan snyder loves to shake it up and he wants to get a jump on Jerry Jones.

So if holmgren becomes our new coach, do you think he keeps zorn as part of his crew? or is that just too embarrassing for zorn and will never happen?

Holmgren and Shanahan are the only 2 coaches who would do something like this.

My proposition has Zorn being fired; so no Zorn wouldn't come back.

I might be wrong but I don't think snyder has to comply with the rooney rule. They will most likely just say Holmgren is the interim coach untile the season ends and then just sign him afterwards and makie official.

It would be the stupidest personnel move in the history of the NFL.

All team chemistry would be destroyed, the locker-room would be torn apart, and the overall morale of this franchise would hit an all-time low.

If Zorn goes, someone in-house would take over until the end of the season.

To play along with this scenario (which I think has 10 percent chance of occurring at best)

If this coach is smart, he uses the final 9 games for evaluation. He should know the season is lost, tanks games to get a high draft pick and figure out where to go in the offseason.

The players response? The vets mail it in, young guys who need a fresh start turn it on and play hard

this would be a dream come true for the season. id love to have a "let the kids play" 9 games to end the season. itd be much more exciting than watching the garbage our offense roles out on a consistent basis.

and who knows, maybe some of these random kids step up with real game experience? only bummer is we have no young QB to play, which is why brennan going on IR was the biggest bummer of the preseason.

Holmgren and Shanahan are the only 2 coaches who would do something like this.

My proposition has Zorn being fired; so no Zorn wouldn't come back.

Holmgren and Shanahan are the only 2 coaches who would do something like what?

Come into a team in the middle of the season and have to go through the painful motions of establishing their organizational structure, culture, and overall philosophies without even being able to pick their own assistants throughout the rest of the staff?

And you give this a 50% chance of happening?

Nothing about this idea, in real life, or even making a thread out of it on its own (after you already suggested it in the Sherman Lewis thread), makes sense.

All team chemistry would be destroyed, the locker-room would be torn apart, and the overall morale of this franchise would hit an all-time low.

I completely agree except its too soon to say Zorn goes, Sherm Lewis is only someone that will point things out thats all.

I don't think there is any way that it would happen that a major hire is made in the middle of the season. As pointed out before, the staff is already assembled and the new coach is going to want his own staff. (if we want someone like Shanahan or Holmgren we can't pull the same crap we did last time where we were hiring assistant staff before hiring a head coach. Only a boob like Jim Fassel is still desperate enough for a job to accept a deal like that). And Zorn's coaches might be pissed that this new guy is coming in stepping on the hard work they put in with their man Zorn, no matter how poor the team is performing.

Another reason that I think this wouldn't work is that there are games going on that need to be prepared for. Yes it was mentioned that the bye week would be the time to do it but the players aren't usually around for that first week as they get some rest. There is no way they would respond positively to staying around to work an extra week to learn the new philosophy or whatever it is exactly that this new coach would want to install.

Also, the only reason Snyder or whoever would do this would be some kind of desperate way to make the playoffs. If we need to fire the coach by the bye week we are not going to the playoffs no matter what. I think most of us can agree that Jim Zorn already is not going to be our coach next year. I bet Snyder even knows that already. Therefore, no matter what happens I expect Zorn to make it through the entire season and be fired after the last game.

I might be wrong but I don't think snyder has to comply with the rooney rule. They will most likely just say Holmgren is the interim coach untile the season ends and then just sign him afterwards and makie official
Florio touched on the mid-season coaching replacement today and, according to everyone's friend Greg Aiello, Snyder would have to comply with the Rooney Rule.

Florio touched on the mid-season coaching replacement today and, according to everyone's friend Greg Aiello, Snyder would have to comply with the Rooney Rule.

Snyder would have to comply with the Rooney Rule to name a permanent coach mid-season; he could name an interim head coach to finish out the season without going through the Rooney Rule process.

Snyder would have to comply with the Rooney Rule to name a permanent coach mid-season; he could name an interim head coach to finish out the season without going through the Rooney Rule process.
And who's going to believe that Holmgren or Shanahan are coming on board to just be the interim head coach? I suspect, whether you call them interim head coach or head coach, if you want to hirer someone from outside your organization the NFL is going to want you to interview a minority candidate.

In the scenario the OP presented that token interview would go to Sherman Smith.

and that would impact the so-far superlative quality of play we have observed how?

If we get a new coach this year kiss any hopes of this season good bye.

yes...things were cetainly rounding into championship form after the Lions game!!

are you nuts? this season is already done. all that we are playing for is respectability....and 3rd place in the NFCE.

Archived