Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Problems with Bread (Any type)

Btubes18

First off, let me explain my frustrations. I currently purchase wheat loaves of bread for my sandwiches for my lunches. I try to bring my lunch to work everyday, to save money, as I work in DC and a meal is $10+. My problem is that I can't eat sandwiches 5 times a week, it's to repetitive for me and I get sick of them. So I usually end up throwing half the loaf away. Sometimes I can get through a whole loaf, but most of the time I end up throwing some if not most of it away due to mold. So I have tried multiple solutions, buying different types, storing in the fridge, storing in non-dark place, and nothing seems to be working. What annoys me (and maybe it's the type of bread), is that my bread does not seem to last more than a week.

I am asking you all if you have any trade secrets to not wasting the bread. Sometimes I wish they would just make smaller loaves. Anyone else having problem?

(I know this is a seriously off-topic thread, but I woke up this morning and had to throw another loaf away and was thinking about it, and have not gotten it off my mind....lol)

Storage is a big issue. Most real bread should be stored unwrapped with only the cut end covered - typically just by putting it end-down on a flat surface. However, store-bought bread like Wonder etc. is made for longer-term storage wrapped up.

I don't have any suggestions for that since I don't buy bread in the supermarket anymore.

A friend was making fresh bread at home and I asked about it. He showed me this:

http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Bread-Five-Minutes-Revolutionizes/dp/0312362919

It is dead easy to use and the bread is just better. In your case, you could make up a batch of the dough, then only bake a few small loaves at a time. I'm having a sangwich right now with bread I baked up yesterday. Beats the hell out of that sugary preservative-laden crap...

Good luck!

Put it in the freezer? You should bring pasta to work to switch it up and eat sandwiches at night. I always toast my bread for sandwiches.

I do bring Pasta to work and switch it up with different meals. I guess I could start freezing it, but would have to defrost the bread in the morning or the night before, but that could work. Yeah, toasting the bread is a must...not toaster at work though.

Storage is a big issue. Most real bread should be stored unwrapped with only the cut end covered - typically just by putting it end-down on a flat surface. However, store-bought bread like Wonder etc. is made for longer-term storage wrapped up.

I don't have any suggestions for that since I don't buy bread in the supermarket anymore.

A friend was making fresh bread at home and I asked about it. He showed me this:

http://www.amazon.com/Artisan-Bread-Five-Minutes-Revolutionizes/dp/0312362919

It is dead easy to use and the bread is just better. In your case, you could make up a batch of the dough, then only bake a few small loaves at a time. I'm having a sangwich right now with bread I baked up yesterday. Beats the hell out of that sugary preservative-laden crap...

Good luck!

Thanks for the insight...I don't see myself ever making my own bread, but I guess it's a possibility. As for now will have to stick with the store bought bread.

I have the same problem so I have just thought of creative ways to use it up for other meals. I store the loaf in the fridge, have one sandwich a day at lunch, a grilled cheese sandwich or two for a snack sometime during the week and toast with my eggs or an egg sandwich here and there for breakfast.

Don't typically like eating that much bread, but don't want to waste it either. Oh yeah- Have you tried Deli flats? Enough for 8 sandwiches in one package and they seem to last longer than regular sliced bread.

http://www.examiner.com/x-6522-Long-Island-Grocery-Examiner~y2009m5d18-Pepperidge-Farm-new-Deli-Flats-are-a-keeper

I have the same problem so I have just thought of creative ways to use it up for other meals. I store the loaf in the fridge, have one sandwich a day at lunch, a grilled cheese sandwich or two for a snack sometime during the week and toast with my eggs or an egg sandwich here and there for breakfast.

Don't typically like eating that much bread, but don't want to waste it either. Oh yeah- Have you tried Deli flats? Enough for 8 sandwiches in one package and they seem to last longer than regular sliced bread.

http://www.examiner.com/x-6522-Long-Island-Grocery-Examiner~y2009m5d18-Pepperidge-Farm-new-Deli-Flats-are-a-keeper

I think these may be my answer. Will have to check this out at the store this week.

I eat sandwiches every weekday,never had wheat bread go bad.(I prefer natures own honey wheat)

You could freeze half a loaf(which does preserve it) but in a simple tupperware container it should last two weeks on the counter.

White bread,No.

What about switching to wraps? You could eat less carbs and they stay fresh longer.

For the record I currently have a loaf of rye bread that is still perfectly fresh and delicious and I am on week 3 or even 4 with it. I just make sure its in a sealed bag with no air in it and I keep it in the fridge.

The other option is to freeze it and just toast the bread when you make the sandwich. I like most bread toasted when I eat sandwiches (except for pbj, I microwave the bread for like 15 seconds when its pbj).

They should just make half loaves. I know they don't in the kind I buy. And its pretty stupid. I almost always end up throwing part of it out, too. Like you, I can't eat sandwiches every day.

They must count on this. Kinda like how they sell more hot dog buns than you need in one package

Another good way to use up bread is to make what I like to call ghetto garlic toast when I have pasta for dinner. Two pieces of toast buttered with some garlic powder on there is pretty good dipped in marinara.

Buttered and sprinkled with cinnamon and sugar then toasted is pretty good too.

Or so the kids seem to think.

Archived