Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: Offense still missing in action

themurf

portis100509.jpg

(photo by Brian Murphy)

The Washington Redskins held on to narrowly defeat the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 16-13 Sunday. And while the offense was so dreadful for much of the day that the hometown fans booed early and often, sadly, this game actually represented an offensive explosion for the offensively challenged Redskins.

Take a look at the results from the last six games played at FedEx Field, dating back to last season:

1. Redskins defeat Buccaneers 16-13

2. Redskins defeat Rams 9-7

3. Redskins defeat Eagles 10-3

4. Giants defeat Redskins 23-7

5. Cowboys defeat Redskins 14-10

6. Steelers defeat Redskins 23-6

First, the positive – the Redskins defense has allowed just 23 total points in their last three games at FedEx Field. Meanwhile, the Redskins offense has scored just 35 total points over the same span. That’s an average score of 11-7, which is fine if you’re a baseball team. Not so much if you make a living playing football.

The Redskins have a total of five touchdowns in their last six home games. Diving deeper into the numbers, here’s a breakdown of the offensive output during this stretch of futility:

* Campbell has just three touchdown passes – connecting with wide out Santana Moss, tight end Chris Cooley and fullback Mike Sellers. Considering two of those came this past weekend, that’s pretty pitiful.

* Running back Clinton Portis has one rushing touchdown. So does receiver Devin Thomas.

* The rest of the team’s production came courtesy of kicker Shaun Suisham, who has eight fieldgoals. Add in four extra points and Suisham’s 28 points make him the top scorer on the ‘Skins during this timeframe, even if he’s one of the lowest-ranked kickers in the NFL.

We then took things one step further, breaking down the production of Campbell, Portis, Cooley and Moss during this six-game span. The numbers were as ugly as you might expect.

Click here for the full article.

Man, I hate losing and sounding like this, but this is one of the reasons why a loss may have been better yesterday.

....I really can't believe I just thought that and wrote it out....

A loss might have expedited Zorn's release or removal from playcalling. All the win did was possibly buy him some more time and give us all a false hope. Our offense is ****ed up. That can't be sugarcoated in the least.

Those 6 games reflect 9.2 ppg. Are we ****ing serious? 9.2 mother ****ing points per game? Something has got to give. Something has got to change. I'm sick of this "a win is a win" bull**** from players and fans alike. As pointed out in another thread, we've gone through (and are currently in) a stretch of completely winless teams. Even in these games our offense is still anemic.

What's the breaking point? When are moves made? When do we figure out that this **** isn't working? Man, this is just unbearable.

Sorry for the rant Murf, but those stats just put my feelings into numbers....this is ****ing insane.

Sorry for the rant Murf, but those stats just put my feelings into numbers....this is ****ing insane.

No worries. I'm with you. That's pretty much why I sat down and crunched the numbers. Because something - anything - needs to change if this team is going to be competitive this year. I don't care if it's Zorn taking the training wheels off of this offense and going for broke or the team realizing this isn't working and moving in a completely different direction from him and Campbell. At the end of the day, something needs to change.

No worries. I'm with you. That's pretty much why I sat down and crunched the numbers. Because something - anything - needs to change if this team is going to be competitive this year. I don't care if it's Zorn taking the training wheels off of this offense and going for broke or the team realizing this isn't working and moving in a completely different direction from him and Campbell. At the end of the day, something needs to change.

I think looking at Campbell's comments after the game, you can kinda see some of what needs to change for Campbell, and we saw some of that in the second half: Campbell needs to stop worrying about the guys around him and loosen up and just play. He did that in the second half and things ended up working much better for him. Whether he can carry that into next week's game is a question.

Even with all the negatives about the first half, I think there are enough positives that happened that does give some hope for a turnaround.

I also don't agree with the above poster who suggests a loss would have been better. I guess if you are a fan of seeing this team going into a tailspin for the rest of the season, which I am not.

My gripe is what does constitute a change in either Zorn's, Vinny's, or Snyder's eyes?

I tried, as many fans have, to sit back and be patient in JC's abilities, and everyone knows that a good QB does help the running game, but no one fears the passing game. And after Sunday's lackluster 1st half performance by JC, it sends a huge message to the defenses; just pressure JC and we will be fine; the sad thing is, ITS TRUE!

The few times they threw on 1st downs did produce positives, for the most part, but the entire offense is in a funk overall. It's almost like the defenses know exactly what play we're going to run. There were times where CP looked like a young-legged rookie, and other times a tired horse. Kelly and Thomas have been a bust, and with an eager Mitchell itching to get on the field, why not give him a shot? Will it hurt anything? probably not, it couldn't be worse than the efforts put out by the other so-called receivers.

I also don't agree with the above poster who suggests a loss would have been better. I guess if you are a fan of seeing this team going into a tailspin for the rest of the season, which I am not.

You missed the point then.

Sadly with our team, we can use the win as an excuse. I just don't see the urgency to fix the issues that exist. A loss would aid in that urgency because the media and fans would be putting more pressure on management and the coaching staff for changes.

The last thing I want to see is this team in a tailspin. I've never really seen a great Redskins team in my life.

You missed the point then.

Sadly with our team, we can use the win as an excuse. I just don't see the urgency to fix the issues that exist. A loss would aid in that urgency because the media and fans would be putting more pressure on management and the coaching staff for changes.

The last thing I want to see is this team in a tailspin. I've never really seen a great Redskins team in my life.

You must not have listened to the post-game interviews, then. No one on the offensive side of the ball was patting themselves on the back for this one. Just about everyone, including Zorn, said that they all have a lot to work on.

The problem with them losing is that the team would still play as tight as they did in the first half of this game, because they'd still be pressing out there.

You must not have listened to the post-game interviews, then. No one on the offensive side of the ball was patting themselves on the back for this one. Just about everyone, including Zorn, said that they all have a lot to work on.

The problem with them losing is that the team would still play as tight as they did in the first half of this game, because they'd still be pressing out there.

I didn't listen to them this week because of one simple thing: I'm sick of the talk from our players and coaching staff. Show me on the field.....talk is cheap.

I hope you are right about them pressing and hopefully they will loosen up next week and just let it fly. God knows we could all use that.

I like how 'all teams have to do is pressure Campbell', like all teams don't try to do that to all QBs.

I want the second half put it on the line type O and I'm happy to see where we go with it. Our D needs to keep playing with more aggression too.

EDIT: And I was with you at half time Murph. Second half I liked, at least they tried to win rather than not lose. I also like we are running right behind Rinehart and Heyer (meaning we are actually making yards rather than it being called and being lucky to not get a loss).... though it remains to be seen if that is just teams don't expect it right now.

Hard to read these stats, because with any reasonable offense the Redskins are a good team that is in the playoff picture.

If ever there was a time for a turn around this is it. If JC will ever get to be a productive QB in the NFL he will do it now. Most of his problems are mental; decision making, timing, vision downfield. He has all of the physical tools in the world its the intangibles that kill his productivity.

JC will never have a better chance with a team and coach more behind him than he does right now. He did play better in the second half, they have a few more easier opponents before the schedule gets tough, maybe he can turn it on and they will start to produce offensively. I sure hope so because if not we are looking at a 6-10 or so season, a new coach, new QB, new everything. There is a lot in the balance over the next few weeks.

I will say that I am proud of how they are standing together as a team. I really hope they can get things going.

I think looking at Campbell's comments after the game, you can kinda see some of what needs to change for Campbell, and we saw some of that in the second half: Campbell needs to stop worrying about the guys around him and loosen up and just play. He did that in the second half and things ended up working much better for him. Whether he can carry that into next week's game is a question.

Even with all the negatives about the first half, I think there are enough positives that happened that does give some hope for a turnaround.

I agree here. I'm just really praying that our second half play against Tampa is what we see consistently from this team from here on out. If it is, that means we average 32 points a game and hold opponents to under 10. Wouldn't that be awesome?

It's all about consistency though, and so far, we've shown we can't do that. Let's hope that changes, and I'm going to be optimistic that it will until it doesn't.

I loved how they looked like a team out there during the second half though for the first time in a long time. They finally seemed to have each others backs.

Under Zorn, the Redskins have yet to score 30 points during his 20-game tenure. Sunday marked the 13th time in 20 outings under Zorn that Washington scored 17 points or fewer.

This cannot continue!

But here's the thing: in the 20 games JC quarterbacked before Zorn, the team only scored thirty twice.

Fact is, the offense has never been remotely close to prolific with JC at the helm. No matter the system or coach.

When you do not activate Mitchell and Aldridge you are satisfied and don't care about the playoffs.

Man, I hate losing and sounding like this, but this is one of the reasons why a loss may have been better yesterday.

....I really can't believe I just thought that and wrote it out....

A loss might have expedited Zorn's release or removal from playcalling. All the win did was possibly buy him some more time and give us all a false hope. Our offense is ****ed up. That can't be sugarcoated in the least.

Those 6 games reflect 9.2 ppg. Are we ****ing serious? 9.2 mother ****ing points per game? Something has got to give. Something has got to change. I'm sick of this "a win is a win" bull**** from players and fans alike. As pointed out in another thread, we've gone through (and are currently in) a stretch of completely winless teams. Even in these games our offense is still anemic.

What's the breaking point? When are moves made? When do we figure out that this **** isn't working? Man, this is just unbearable.

Well this is nothing new and we saw it coming from the second half of last year, OTA's and pre-season this year.

When I started a thread during OTA's saying "Our offense was in trouble" I was serious. From what you guys we're reporting through out the OTA's Murf, it was no secret that this offense was stagnant and not progressing.

And many people said it was just OTA"s which was true. But when your first team offense has to constantly practice against the 2nd stringers to get anything accomplished, it's not by accident. And even though we all thought our defense would be pretty stout this year, it was still no reason for our offense in it's second year to constantly struggle against them.

Furthermore, our defense wasn't all world for any fan to believe that this was the reason our offense was struggling during OTA's. And if that was the case, then many of you we're in for a rude awakening. Even myself to listen to the hype and not go on my first instinct from what I was reading and hearing from you guys Murf.

From wat JC said on Postgame, he says that he needs to play his game, not worry about everything else and just give the WR's, Cooley, Portis the opportunity to make the plays. But the Oline must improve and continue to be better like it did in the second half yesterday! HTTR!

Why does this team start games so poorly?

It is not the scheme that fails on the opening play.

It is not the coach that gets out of position and get's beat.

Both sides, O and D suck in the first quarter, and it has been like this for years.

We need to come out like a man possessed and take the game to the opponent.

How can this team unfunk themselves at the start of a game? Is everyone overthinking?

Are they too damne stupid to stop thinking and play? Is this not poor coaching???

These wins suck worse than a loss.

While I don't think Campbell is the answer for the future, I agree he needs to loosen up and play. I've noticed when he gets a few short passes going or breaks one of those nice scrambles for a first down, it will not only settle down Campbell but the offense plays with more confidence.

The main concern I have, however, is with the running game. Portis is nowhere near the same back he was in 2005 and if we cannot get this running game going the offense most certainly won't succeed.

From wat JC said on Postgame, he says that he needs to play his game, not worry about everything else and just give the WR's, Cooley, Portis the opportunity to make the plays. But the Oline must improve and continue to be better like it did in the second half yesterday! HTTR!

Something else JC said in his presser and in the lockeroom interview was there were times during the first half of the game that he wasn't sure he was at FedEx Field. Being the worse half of football that I've seen him play in over 8 years, I still think he had his bell rung on one of the two sacks during the first drive.

The announcers commented over and over that he didn't look right. And Zorn mentioned talking to him during the first half to see if his head was still in the game. If Zorn had his suspicions about it, he probably should have evaluated him further and set him on the bench until he was sure.

How else could he play such a dismal first half with something like a 10 qbr and then come back with 2 TD passes and a 117 qbr in the second half.

Not trying to excuse poor play in other games or an overall average career. I just believe this is what happened during the 1st half Sunday.

Smelling salts.

We have issues all over the field. Our bend dont break defense has been limiting our offense with poor field position and allowing opponents to control time of possession. Over and over, every game every QB. Jason can only take so much of the blame.

The fact that we come out conservative on both sides of the ball must be addressed. Every game is a coin flip at the end... i am convinced by design. We play to have a chance at the end to win. We never go for a blowout on either side of the ball. With our talent on the field, the coaches need to learn to not be afraid to try. We are so paranoid at giving up a long TD pass we let the other team control the entire first quarter.

Something else JC said in his presser and in the lockeroom interview was there were times during the first half of the game that he wasn't sure he was at FedEx Field. Being the worse half of football that I've seen him play in over 8 years, I still think he had his bell rung on one of the two sacks during the first drive.

The announcers commented over and over that he didn't look right. And Zorn mentioned talking to him during the first half to see if his head was still in the game. If Zorn had his suspicions about it, he probably should have evaluated him further and set him on the bench until he was sure.

How else could he play such a dismal first half with something like a 10 qbr and then come back with 2 TD passes and a 117 qbr in the second half.

Not trying to excuse poor play in other games or an overall average career. I just believe this is what happened during the 1st half Sunday.

Yeah I heard about that. I think those sacks took a tool on his legs as well cause he injured them week at detroit I believe and you dont need to make excuses for JC, I'm a supporter of him and believe he will do well the rest of the season, the team just needs to come together and this game was a BIG boost for them! HTTR!

Archived