Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NYP: Plaxico's hostile reception (Jeers and insults from Rikers inmates)

Taylor4Life

http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/manhattan/plaxico_hostile_reception_CzDsuttBayVNkiC518FR2O

Plaxico's hostile reception

Jeers and insults from Rikers inmates

By LAURA ITALIANO and KEVIN FASICK

Last Updated: 10:33 AM, September 24, 2009

Posted: 3:28 AM, September 24, 2009

And he thought Cowboys fans were nasty.

Plaxico Burress got a zero's welcome behind bars at Rikers Island, including taunts of "a - - hole!" and "The Giants suck!" according to jail guards.

"He was depressed," said one guard from Rikers, where the former Giants superstar spent his first-ever night behind bars. "He was trying to keep to himself, but everyone was yelling at him."

"These people got nothing," a second guard explained of the taunts. "What else are they gonna do?"

Burress began serving a two-year sentence yesterday for accidentally shooting himself in the thigh with his own Glock while drinking in the crowded VIP vestibule of the Latin Quarter nightclub in Midtown last November.

He is not serving his time in Rikers.

Touche. I should actually read the articles I post.

His stay at his first stop, Rikers, was brief. By 11 a.m. yesterday, he'd been driven upstate to the medium-security, 586-inmate Ulster Correctional Facility in Napanoch, an intake center where he'll be evaluated for more permanent placement elsewhere in the state prison system,

I'm glad he won't be staying at Rikers. It's a place for hardened criminals, not dummies who shoot themselves in the foot (literally or figuratively).

Something about this isn't sitting right with me, especially given that a certain other wide receiver has gotten a lot less time for doing something a lot more serious. COUGH COUGH dantestallworth COUGH

new york gun laws, end of story, pointless to compare the crimes

For those saying that the punishment is too severe...

The man had a loaded gun, which he obviously wasn't qualified to handle given the results, in a public place. The gun subsequently went off, thankfully injuring no one but himself. I know he was punished solely under the gun laws of that state, but he was no doubt judged by unknown intent. I mean, why was he carrying a loaded gun without the safety on? Was he intending to use it? On whom? For what reason?

Sometimes, public embarrassment isn't enough of a punishment. This is one such case.

The man had a loaded gun, which he obviously wasn't qualified to handle given the results, in a public place. The gun subsequently went off, thankfully injuring no one but himself. I know he was punished solely under the gun laws of that state, but he was no doubt judged by unknown intent. I mean, why was he carrying a loaded gun without the safety on? Was he intending to use it? On whom? For what reason?

Sometimes, public embarrassment isn't enough of a punishment. This is one such case.

I can understand why he did it. With the way Darrent Williams passed away, if I was celebrity I'd have some sort of protection as well.. The way it went about and the way he handled it was wrong..should of got the right permit ..and even then I don't think its allowed in the club but it would of been lesser punishment.

I would also like to point out that the news (atleast what I saw) stated he had a Glock. If you don't know about Guns, a glock has no external safety. If you pull the trigger a quarter of an inch..the gun will discharge.. or at least partially cycle....simple as that...Plax should have known that however...but lets not get into the discussion of "The safety wasn't on" because the GLOCK HAS NO EXTERNAL SAFETY. He was idiot if he didn't have a hostler

When comparing Stallworth and Plax, the punishment is too severe. Stallworth KILLED someone. Plax injured himself. Sure it doesn't justify that he was right or wrong, the law needs to make things even. I don't care what place, and where. So If I kill someone in ohio does that mean I always get less punishment then if I shot myself in NY? what kind of crap is that..

Didn't stallworth pay the family millions? I guess Plax can't pay himself to get off. Im not saying he doesn't deserve time, but imo his actions are justified. The only fault he had was not getting a permit in NY. If the security knew he had a gun, then throw their ass in jail too. Let them share time. 1 year a piece. He had a recently expired permit in FL I believe, but as you might or might not know, and depending on the state, your permit won't be valid in other states. Most of the time it won't, but I guess if Plax didn't know how to wear a weapon, then Im sure he didnt know the permit laws either..

new york gun laws, end of story, pointless to compare the crimes

I still think killing a man while driving drunk is a bit worse than having a gun on you while going out to NY at night, even if it is unlicensed.

But than again, if Burress had used the gun on someone else on purpose, it would be a much bigger deal. And let's face it, those were his intentions, otherwise he wouldn't have brought it. He would have likely done it in self defense, but you never know.

you know, I could understand any fanbase questionining that, except for the Skins. we lost Sean Taylor because he only had a machete to defend himself. in this day and age, public figures with money have to protect themselves, and that is a fact of life that we should understand better than most

He clearly had some knowledge of gun handling, he was licensed in his home state of FL.

The license expired earlier that year, but Florida laws allow the carrying of a weapon for up to 6 months after the permit expires.

Regardless, NY does not recognize FL gun permits, expired or valid.

On top of that, one of his team mates, (Steve Smith) had been robbed at gunpoint not too long before that.

None of this excuses what he did, he broke the law and needs to pay the price. I am, however getting tired of people making him out to be some kind of gun-toting maniac.

Let the man serve his time and get back to his family in peace. His days as an NFL wide receiver are over.

you know, I could understand any fanbase questionining that, except for the Skins. we lost Sean Taylor because he only had a machete to defend himself. in this day and age, public figures with money have to protect themselves, and that is a fact of life that we should understand better than most

The only difference is that Plax was in a public place mishandling a gun that he was carrying illegally. I don't see how that is at all analogous.

I am, however getting tired of people making him out to be some kind of gun-toting maniac.

I don't think he was a gun-toting maniac. I merely think that he possessed a hand gun illegally and handled it irresponsibly in public.

New York's gun laws don't take intent into account anyway. Whether you were intending to go on a killing spree or carrying a gun in self defense, you will get the same sentence, 2 year minimum.

He clearly had some knowledge of gun handling, he was licensed in his home state of FL.

The license expired earlier that year, but Florida laws allow the carrying of a weapon for up to 6 months after the permit expires.

Regardless, NY does not recognize FL gun permits, expired or valid.

On top of that, one of his team mates, (Steve Smith) had been robbed at gunpoint not too long before that.

None of this excuses what he did, he broke the law and needs to pay the price. I am, however getting tired of people making him out to be some kind of gun-toting maniac.

Let the man serve his time and get back to his family in peace. His days as an NFL wide receiver are over.

That's tough because Florida's concealed carry permit has reciprocity with over 20 states I believe. Possibly 30 if memory serves me correct. Too bad NY isn't one of those. NY gun laws are lame.

Keep ya head up Plax.... Even though you can't read this.

New York's gun laws don't take intent into account anyway. Whether you were intending to go on a killing spree or carrying a gun in self defense, you will get the same sentence, 2 year minimum.

New york has long been off in it's gun laws. While the rest of the country has liberalized (and not seen an increase but a DECREASE in violence) in its gun laws and permits (some states like NH and Alaska have no requirements for permits--who would have thought a Constitutional right didn't need a license from the government!?) NY has seen fit to go in the opposite direction. It doesn't help that Bloomberg thinks he's ruler-for-life of the city of NY and uses his money and influence to break laws by carrying on sting (entrapment) operations across state lines in other jurisdictions. That and the other Nanny State laws and enforcements of existing laws he's gung-ho for.

Plax is the victim of his own stupidity but also of a highly localized approach. In almost any other jurisdiction, he'd have gotten a few months at most, maybe not even that.

Burress is a big-time goober. With that said I was appauled to hear that he'd receive such a sentence for carrying an unregistered weapon in NY (it was registered in another state).

The good ol' 2nd amendment is working just fine.

You know the rapper/artist (he does more than rap now) who used to hang with The Fugees, John Forte? He was pardoned for a big drug violation by GW Bush (and surprisingly, it was Orrin Hatch that helped lead the way for Bush to know about it.)

This would be a case for a President to commute a sentence, if not outright pardon someone. I doubt Obama would do it because it would be in contravention of a tough gun law, which he undoubtedly supports, but in the interests of justice, Burress really shouldn't be spending THAT much time for that incident. It's absurd that there are child rapists (convicted, I mean, of that and kidnapping) and killers who serve only a few times more than that 2 years (sadly, sometimes not even that) and Burress gets 2 years of his life taken away for being stupid but hurting only himself.

Archived