Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

What Does Sherman Smith Do?

kingdaddy

Wow. I'm no expert but that really seems like a strange philosophy on play calling. It would definitely explain why the Redskins are so inept in the Red Zone. I've never understood "scripting" plays anyway. Hard to script a play ahead of time if you don't know the down, distance, and area on the field the offense is in. Maybe the first play of the game only. I've always thought QBs should have some freedom to call plays in the huddle instead of just audibles

go listen to the JC interview last week on the Lavar arrington show and let me know what you think about JC's abilities as a QB and if you think the problem is him or Zorn.

This from the "football guys" after the tandem was announced:

According to Zorn, his offense will be predicated on "balance and rhythm." Zorn will call the plays, with Smith having a hand in game planning. The team will implement a version of the classic West Coast offense, but expect the run/pass balance to be closer to 50/50 to take advantage of Clinton Portis' obvious talents.

That has gone well.:doh:

While we're on this topic where is Chris Meidt, he off the computer systems regression analysis blah blah blah from St. Olaf College?

Wasn't he supposed to be some boy wonder with a computer who had ALL the answers that "normal' NFL thinking couldn't grasp?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2008/11/09/AR2008110902235.html

Cooley talking about the portis pass - It was originally designed to be a 1st down play, it would been better run on 1st down because you get that run action and we run the ball alot on 1st down. you see we install a red zone package each week, and from each yard line we have 4 pass plays per package. Well we had run all of our passes from the 5 yard line, that was the last pass in the 5 yard line package

http://www.eitmonline.com/eitmonline2/media/eitmlive/A333482DC7_cooley_EITM092109.mp3

edit - Cooley also says all the pass plays for him were on the 15 yard line and they were never on the 15 yard line

To me this is exhibit A on why Zorn needs to go when the season is over. Why only pick from 5 pass plays???? NONE TO COOLEY INSIDE THE 15??? NONE!!!!!!!! This makes absolutely no sense to me.

2. why Zorn refuses to use plays over again, Cooley said his production late in the game wasn't due to defense keying in on him but because all of the plays designed for him were used up in the 1st quarter of the game O_O

4. Why doesn't zorn change his mind when it calls to play calling. Cooley also said that Poris to cooley pass play was the only play left in the package, they did not want to call it on 3rd down but they had no more plays to call.. :doh:

I find this to be fascinating info that if true looks pretty bad on our offensive preperation or design. THere is no excuse for running a play you don't really want to run because "it's the only one left".

Except for Joe Bugel this is not a staff that has any star performers.

Who on the offensive staff do you see as coodinator or HC material down the road?

Hixon hasn't developed any receivers.

Smith is OC but doesn't call the plays. He sits in the box and drinks gatorade.

Chris Meidt hands Zorn his gatorade on the field.

Stump Mitchell? Well, there's not much coaching when we are talking about a guy with Clinton Portis' personna and the fact his backup is a 30 year old, 8th year veteran.

Tight ends?

Where is Fred Davis? He was supposed to be new and improved?

Todd Yoder can catch the ball in the end zone. I brought up the point just in case the Skins forgot he was on the roster.

I think its been obvious we dont game plan for teams, maybe just draw up some new plays from the previous week. We NEVER attempt to exploit a teams weakness, nor attempt to adjust to what a defense is doing. We are lucky to have won even one game letting Moss getting shutdown and not doing a damn thing to get our undisputed top WR into the game at all. He is fighting out of frustration before being put in a place to help our team.

Anyone see the fake WR screen the Ravens ran on the Chargers? A would be blocker went deep and was wide open. I fully believe we will never show ingenuity like that from Zorn after reading the above horrible news about our game day playbook.

Yoders snaps have been taken over by Iron Mike. I am surprised no one has mentioned it before this. And no he is not our redzone answer, getting big WR's into the game is the answer. Spread out 4 wide and running Portis becomes a lot easier.

4 plays. I still cant believe it. Absolutely pathetic all our plays there reflect our WR's are too short to even be considered.

I agree, Big Mike. This makes Zorn's playcalling look even worse...I didn't think that was even possible.

I also agree

there is a Portis interview on the John Thompson show I need to track down, he talks more about stuff also.

I think we need a Player interview thread where if a Skin player is being interviewd we link to the interview so we can all hear it. I miss so many interviews I am sure.

questions I want to know

2. why Zorn refuses to use plays over again, Cooley said his production late in the game wasn't due to defense keying in on him but because all of the plays designed for him were used up in the 1st quarter of the game O_O

4. Why doesn't zorn change his mind when it calls to play calling. Cooley also said that Poris to cooley pass play was the only play left in the package, they did not want to call it on 3rd down but they had no more plays to call.. :doh:

Wow, I was right, pathetic:

Tecmo_Super_Bowl_NES_ScreenShot3.gif

Archived