Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Did Blache Move the DBs Closer v. Rams?

MassSkinsFan

Hi,

Unfortunately I couldn't watch this week's game against the Rams. I was wondering if Blache moved the DBs up closer to the line, or if he ignored Zorn's order to do it.

Anyone?

Thanks and Hail

Nope, and i don't think he will.

Blache plays alot of Cover 3 Zone and all Cover 3 Zones give there corners a cushion.

Steelers, Ravens, Green Bay etc.

Our corner do play closer when we're in Cover 2 and the corners have freedom to press like Rogers does when we're in Cover 1 man.

HTTR!

Interestingly I DID see Blache roll his cover 3 so that he had a Corner deep 3rd Both Safties deep 3rd and the other corner rolled up without the cushion a few times.

That was extremely effective the times I saw it. It would be wise to do that against teams with one good wideout because you get a defacto double on one side. (corner short safety deep) something to look for

I actually saw the corners up tight on the receivers significantly more than last week. At several points during the game I found myself saying "Holy crap! Press coverage!"

That said, we still played off frequently on third down. There was a 3rd and 7 where we had a 10 yard cushion and a 3rd and 4 with about and 8 yard cushion that both resulted in easy first downs. That kind of stuff is frustrating to watch.

Interestingly I DID see Blache roll his cover 3 so that he had a Corner deep 3rd Both Safties deep 3rd and the other corner rolled up without the cushion a few times.

That was extremely effective the times I saw it. It would be wise to do that against teams with one good wideout because you get a defacto double on one side. (corner short safety deep) something to look for

Thats the definition of a Cover 3. Nothing new.

Thats the definition of a Cover 3. Nothing new.

Cover 3 is not a one size fits all call. It's deep thirds can be manned in different ways. 2 corners and 1 safety, 2 safeties and one corner. (or even more exotic). "Rolling" the coverage indicates that one corner is playing a sidelines to flats responsibility.( or again he could do something exotic) As opposed to being responsible for the entire deep 3rd

The point being is that it was mentioned that Blache had been playing a more vanilla cover 3, both corners deep 3rd and 1 safety deep 3rd. Hence the large cushion from BOTH corners.

When it seems that he uses that version noticeably on 3rd downs. He tends to use sky version on 1st and 2nd. (sky indicates safety taking the last deep 3rd)

Hi,

Unfortunately I couldn't watch this week's game against the Rams. I was wondering if Blache moved the DBs up closer to the line, or if he ignored Zorn's order to do it.

Anyone?

Thanks and Hail

I might have missed this but did Zorn actually tell Blache to move the corners closer? If so, kudos for Zorn. I get sick and tired of wacthing the game on tv and the corners are not even in the screen because they're playing off so far.

Not nearly enough. On one play, Stephen Jackson was split out wide on a third-and-four. Carlos Rogers gave him an eight-yard question. Guess what? Jackson ran a two-yard pattern, caught the ball, and then trucked his way for another three for a first down.

3rd and 5 and they give him the 8 yard cushion and 5 free yards.

okay so we know its stupidity. but on whose part or this a group thing?

Archived