Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.com: For Zorn, Play Calling Remains a Balancing Act

#98QBKiller

I have to agree somewhat with this article when it comes to balance, I do believe it is a criticle aspect of the game. On that note its more about how you space out run versus pass. In watching the game Sunday i knew when they where gonna run the ball, so i can assume if i knew when we would run the ball im sure the opposition would easily know. I have always assumed that the object of football is to keep the opposing team off balance

he should have seen that it wasn't working, and then made something called ADJUSTMENTS at half time.

good teams do it and win games in the 2nd half.

I agree. And I think a more on point explanation from him would be WHY he thought that although the Giants were stopping the run, the run would ultimately work.

As for adjustments yeah I guess we will never know what goes on during half time and whether Zorn sees things during the game and switches gears accordingly, he might -- I have watched Zorn and read about him a ton as most of us have and while he loves to explain himself I have yet to stumble on him say or an article purport that he was doing something and then he decided to do something different in the 2nd half based on what was working or not during a game.

Have you ever had a Job you were TOTALLY unqualified for? You tend to try make people believe you know what your doing. You know enough to fake it right?

So then finally the meat and potatoes come, and at first your showing you can handle it (even though in your own mind your thinking WHOA!). But then Hard times show up and a situation where being qualified is necessary.

Rather than admit your in over your head (and lose that FAT paycheck), you go on, to show that you can handle it. That the same reason they hired you (smart, cutting edge, hard-worker) is what's going to fix this ugly problem.

But because you have very little understanding of the demands the position REALLY takes, you just keep trying to show that your way will work. Until finally the company admits it made a mistake and lets you go.

I think Jim Zorn knows this feeling

Balance goes out the window when the clock is ticking and the team is down. Not to mention that the offense was too predictable. If the D knows you're likely to run 8 times out of 10 on first, they will make the run less effective. Also, if your QB is rather mediocre, that makes it hard on 3rd down and forever to make a first down because they will just blitz the crap out of the mediocre QB because THEY KNOW A PASS IS COMING.

Zorn needs to spend less time focusing on calling plays to maintain balance, and instead call plays to win the game. Sometimes in order to win the game you have to run a lot. Sometimes in order to win you need to pass a lot. If you maintain this rigid sense of unwillingness to adapt and change you won't succeed in the NFL period.

You playcall in a game to win it, not to make someone happy, or to be "balanced".

Zorn needs to spend less time focusing on calling plays to maintain balance, and instead call plays to win the game. Sometimes in order to win the game you have to run a lot. Sometimes in order to win you need to pass a lot. If you maintain this rigid sense of unwillingness to adapt and change you won't succeed in the NFL period.

You playcall in a game to win it, not to make someone happy, or to be "balanced".

Hit the nail ON THE HEAD!! Great coaches strive for balance but they wont force it.

If the run aint working, and the pass is, PASS it.

Bellichick talks balance, but the Pats are hardly balanced. Some games (like last night) they may throw 50 times, other games they may run 35 times. Same with the Giants, Steelers, Colts, Chargers (though Norv isnt great).

:applause: excellent. now we just need to beat this into his thick skull.

There are two elements to a "balanced attack". The obvious one that Zorn sees is that, at the end of the game, you have roughly as many running plays as passing plays. That's the simple part. The trickier part, and the part that Zorn seems to be missing, is that you also need to take those same numbers and balance out what the team does on first down, and second and short, and third and long.

There is no reason the Skins have to run on first down to keep that balance. Second and short (if we ever have one) is a great time for play action. Third and Long (anything greater than 4 yards) is a reasonable time for a draw play. The point is, call a play that the defense is not expecting.

Without going deeply into the fact that we appear to have no interior linemen that can push the pile (again and still) and can't run the ball between the tackles, running the play the defense is expecting reduces the odds of a successful play. At the end of the day, it's a great thing that runs = passes. But it would also be a great thing if we had had 4 passes on first down and 4 runs. Make the defense at least guess what the play is. The Giants knew what we were going to do.

You have got to know when to make adjustments

He was on 980 today (zorn) saying that he did not have any regrets sticking with the run. He truly does need help with the offense

omfg are you serious? that just tells me he's not getting it and we should plan to see the same **** in the coming weeks. aka we will be in squeakers with inferior teams.

omfg are you serious? that just tells me he's not getting it and we should plan to see the same **** in the coming weeks. aka we will be in squeakers with inferior teams.

Yah really, Sheehan kind of kept saying "Well Jim but if it isnt working then why do you continue doing it." (not exact quote) and Zorn kept repeating balance.

Sheehan also asked Zorn to answer honestly, if Portis has lost a step. And Zorn said no. But then again I dont expect a head coach to say that about his star player so thats not a big deal, it just bothered me what he said. He said using the run was the gameplan. I yelled, well sometimes Jim you gotta have a plan B

I have to agree somewhat with this article when it comes to balance, I do believe it is a criticle aspect of the game. On that note its more about how you space out run versus pass. In watching the game Sunday i knew when they where gonna run the ball, so i can assume if i knew when we would run the ball im sure the opposition would easily know. I have always assumed that the object of football is to keep the opposing team off balance

But, if you look at the 1st down playcalls there was no balance!

Even in the second half we had 8 1st down plays 7 were runs?

Where is this balance?

Bottom line the play calling was suspect.

Imo may have cost us the game.

I'm still holding out hope that Zorn actually knows what he's doing.

...but i wonder what Mike Shanahan could do with this talent??

How would you rate Zorn as a playcaller/defacto OC?

Imo the jewel of his playcalling resume was the 1st Cowboys game:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/09000d5d80b30ee8/WK-4-Jason-Campbell-highlights

the playcalling was aggressive and dynamic, especially in the RZ and on the goalline, what happened to that guy?:doh:

As a HC/playcaller/OC; Zorn is a very good QB coach.

To that point, he had been sacked twice, lost a fumble that was returned for a touchdown, thrown an interception and had a passer rating of 71.9, built on 14 of 20 passing for 155 yards. The scoring drive put some helium in a flaccid balloon.

Hmm interesting quote. How are you all liking those numbers now?

that like saying portis had 15 carries for 28 yards and 1.8 yards per carry if you don't count his first 34 yarder.

Archived