Extremeskins

highschool.rivals.com Barry Sanders' son looks like a future football star

bishtw

http://highschool.rivals.com/content.asp?SID=1185&CID=986035

September 9, 2009

Jeff Fedotin

Special to Rivals High

MORE: High School top 100 football teams |Mississippi FB star is a hero

The inside handoff to the fullback fooled no one. Of course that's often the case when it's a running play and the team pretends it's going away from its best runner.

So as Heritage Hall (Okla.) quarterback Turner Petersen held the ball, many of the Lincoln Christian defenders held their ground. Eventually, the ball was pitched back to a freshman - a 14-year-old freshman - on an end-around play.

And Barry James Sanders, son of that Barry Sanders, went to work.

Heritage Hall football coach Andy Bogert figured he was in good shape when he learned one of Barry Sanders' kids was going to join his program.

Barry Sanders' kid ran for 742 yards and 12 TDs as a freshman.

Bogert, however, had to see for himself, so he checked in on Sanders when he was playing in a junior high game.

First carry: 80 yards.

Second carry: 60 yards.

Third carry: 65 yards.

"We knew we had something special," Bogert said.

He also knew he had a problem.

His 2008 team was going to be dominated by 15 seniors, led by Petersen, a star in his own right. How would the team react to a freshman phenom - one who was sure to get the bulk of the media attention?

To prepare his team, Bogert addressed his players before last season. He said that Sanders would receive a lot of publicity because of his father's fame. That, he emphasized, was not Sanders' fault, and the players should not hold it against him.

"Ever since we got that all out in the open," Bogert said, "it really helped the dynamics of our team."

Petersen would go on to account for more 2,500 yards and two dozen touchdowns.

But that didn't mean the younger Sanders didn't get some chances, too.

Unlike his father, who famously had to wait two years to get his turn at Oklahoma State - starting only after Thurman Thomas left for the NFL - Sanders was a big part of the offense.

Sanders rushed for 742 yards and 12 touchdowns on 89 carries while helping his school go 15-0 and capture the 2008 Oklahoma 2A state title.

Bogert can only imagine how the next three years will go.

"He's just coming into his potential, and he's a pretty good back right now," Bogert said. "Barry's got the goods to become a great, great player not only in high school - in college and probably further."

The Lincoln Christian defensive end thought he had him in the backfield, but Sanders used his quickness to get around him. The defensive back thought he had him down low, but Sanders leaped over him.

Now it was a race to the sideline. Sanders, building up speed, shrugged off an attempted tackle by a linebacker.

That's right, a running back named Barry Sanders, seemingly trapped in the backfield, had eluded his pursuers and was off on a big run.

Clink link for the rest of the article and video

:hysterical:

do you also respond to The Onion Report, screaming, "Why can't they get their bloody news stories right ?!?!"

Haha, well I started to write something below it because I thought it could be a joke (the spacing eventually clued me in), but then I thought- oh well it's a pretty lame joke, I'll leave it (:nana:). In my defense, it sadly wouldn't surprise me if some fans here had that opinion.

Archived