Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: Redskins odds for Super Bowl and more

21MadFan

http://www.washingtontimes.com/weblogs/redskins/2009/sep/06/redskins-odds/

I searched but didn't find this posted.

The Redskins practice squad won’t be officially announced for a few hours so to hold everybody over, let’s talk gambling.

First up, the Giants have been installed as a 6.5-point favorite over the Redskins. Considering three points is added for home field, the Redskins are getting some respect.

Next, the odds for the season. Jimmy from www.Bodog.com sent along a ton of Redskins-related odds.

Win Super Bowl: 34-1.

Win NFC: 14-1.

Win NFC East: 6-1.

Finish last in NFC East: 6-5.

Over under passing yards/touchdowns for Jason Campbell: 3,100/14.5.

Over under rushing yards/TDs for Clinton Portis: 1,250/8.5.

Over under receiving yards/TDs for Chris Cooley: 775/5.

Over under sacks for Albert Haynesworth and Brian Orakpo: 6.5/4.5.

Odds for Super Bowl favorites: New England 7-2, San Diego 9-1, Pittsburgh

19-2, Philadelphia 10-1, Indianapolis 12-1.

Odds for team that will score the last points: Cleveland 2-1, Detroit 2-1, St. Louis 2-1, Cincinnati 4-1, Tampa Bay 6-1, Redskins 6-1.

Odds that Detroit will win first game of year against Redskins Sept. 27: 2-1.

Odds that Orakpo wins AP Defensive Rookie of the Year: 10-1.

-- Ryan O’Halloran

Take the over. Don't even hesitate doing so.

Behind a line, which much of is a year older, and even more likely to have injuries?

Better check to see if there is a injury provision on that one.

Also...that only pays even money.

Pitt, at 9 1/2x your money? While certainly still a gamble, provides a surprisingly high bang-for-your-buck.

San Diego and Indy for that matter too.

As an example, instead of betting $1k on JC, with max upside being only $1k......

$300 each on Pitt, San Diego, and Indy......and would pay big if any of the three come in.

Edit: Those are some pretty depressing forecasts for JC. While Vegas is usually pretty right....let's hope they are way off.

Not even a touchdown per game?

Or...they are factoring in the injury/benching possibilities.

Behind a line, which much of is a year older, and even more likely to have injuries?

Better check to see if there is a injury provision on that one.

Also...that only pays even money.

"Much of" the line is a year older?...I think ALL of the linemen are a year older lol ;)...

And the overall health and age of the line is better than last year. Heyer is younger and better than Jansen (even if not by much), and Dockery is younger and as good overall as Pete Kendall, plus he's much healthier.

Campbell already surpassed the yardage total last year behind a decimated OLine and being hit every other pass, and with few viable receiving options. And 15 TDs was a total that Campbell doubters threw out in derision of how mediocre they felt he was lol..."Oh, yeah, we can expect 15 TDs this year instead of 13! That's still less than one TD per game!!" So even the doubters had no problem imagining JC throwing 15 TDs this year.

Wow they are negative on us this season.

They always are.....and are almost always right.....but this season, they are calling for total disaster.

Betting the Redskins finish in last place in the division? It barely pays more than even money.:doh:

14.5 TD's?

The guy's TD's/game have been declining every year. The over isnt horrible, but its definitely not safe

Actually, JC's TDs/game has remained constant from 2007 through the midpoint of 2008. Before that, his TDs/game was at 1.4 TDs per game. It was only the last half of last year where pretty much the entire offense started stalling and falling apart. I'd rely on on his first 27 games as an indicator of the possibilities rather than rely on those last 8 games as if they "really" tell the whole story.

I love the way that the Redskins have less than a 1 in 4 chance of winning the NFC East.

I also love how the Patriots have a better chance of winning the Super Bowl than the Redskins do of winning the NFC East.

Patriots, 3 SB wins in the past 8 years.

Redskins, 1 NFC East win in the past 17 years.

Anything else?

Patriots, 3 SB wins in the past 8 years.

Redskins, 1 NFC East win in the past 17 years.

Anything else?

I also like the way you displayed those facts in the worst way possible.

But lets cut all the other stuff out. This coming year 2009, do you believe the Patriots have a better chance at winning the Super Bowl than the Redskins do of winning the NFC East?

Edit: Not that I'm trying to get into a big argument, I'm just curious.

The Lions are getting odds, but not huge odds.

No one, outside of the world of ES, is expecting a blowout.

Not really expecting a blowout but I think it is reasonable to expect the Skins to beat the Lions as they have done so with great regularity.Lions have a rookie qb, have not won a game since 07,and the Redskins have only lost to the Lions once or twice in the last 20 or so games,if I am not mistaken.

This coming year 2009, do you believe the Patriots have a better chance at winning the Super Bowl than the Redskins do of winning the NFC East?

Well, Tom Brady went 16-0 the last season he started all 16 games and only failed to win the SB because of some great luck by Eli and the Giants, and their great defensive performance. I think if you play that game 10 times the Patriots win it 9/10s of the time.

The Redskins faded last year under Zorn, like Norv/Spurrier was back in DC. We lost to some of the worst teams in the league, and were close to losing a few others to bad teams like Cleveland and Detroit. I'd like to see that change at least ONCE before I go predicting our 2nd division title since before Gibbs retired the first time.

So yeah, I expect the Patriots to be in the SB with little resistance. The Colts have a new coach, the Steelers weren't really that good last year but with the Pats out of the playoffs and Norv coaching the other best team in the league they had it easy. Ravens might be their only true challenge and they have a 2nd year QB who may or may not be any good.

Meanwhile the Redskins have the Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys in the same division. I expect the Eagles to be better. Giants should still win 9-10 games. So do I expect the Redskins to win the division? Nope.

The team doesn't even expect that much or they'd have resigned Jason Campbell already but they haven't and they aren't going to win 11-12 games without him showing enough improvement to warrant at least a mid level QB contract, IMO.

The defense probably isn't better either. The CB situation could get real ugly with Rogers injured and Hall/Smoot regularly getting beat by taller WR's. Blache has to show that he is running a different type of defense before we assume that we will have 2x as many sacks and turnovers this year too, btw. Adding Haynesworth and 2 rookies on the DL doesn't automatically guarantee this happening. What if Hall looks like he did in Oakland? Or Rogers is out all year? Or 2 of those guys get injured? The Patriots could lose 1/2 their defense and still compete for the title. Us, not so much. In the past if Griffen was out, or Springs was out, we were finished most of the time. Not much has changed even though the names may be different. Haynesworth misses 3-6 games every single year, and this is no longer a contract year for him either. If Samuels goes down again it's over, and you know that we will have 2+ other injured OLmen out for stretches. It happens every year, and the lack of any depth never changes. :2cents:

Well, Tom Brady went 16-0 the last season he started all 16 games and only failed to win the SB because of some great luck by Eli and the Giants, and their great defensive performance. I think if you play that game 10 times the Patriots win it 9/10s of the time.

The Redskins faded last year under Zorn, like Norv/Spurrier was back in DC. We lost to some of the worst teams in the league, and were close to losing a few others to bad teams like Cleveland and Detroit. I'd like to see that change at least ONCE before I go predicting our 2nd division title since before Gibbs retired the first time.

So yeah, I expect the Patriots to be in the SB with little resistance. The Colts have a new coach, the Steelers weren't really that good last year but with the Pats out of the playoffs and Norv coaching the other best team in the league they had it easy. Ravens might be their only true challenge and they have a 2nd year QB who may or may not be any good.

Meanwhile the Redskins have the Eagles, Giants, and Cowboys in the same division. I expect the Eagles to be better. Giants should still win 9-10 games. So do I expect the Redskins to win the division? Nope.

The team doesn't even expect that much or they'd have resigned Jason Campbell already but they haven't and they aren't going to win 11-12 games without him showing enough improvement to warrant at least a mid level QB contract, IMO.

The defense probably isn't better either. The CB situation could get real ugly with Rogers injured and Hall/Smoot regularly getting beat by taller WR's. Blache has to show that he is running a different type of defense before we assume that we will have 2x as many sacks and turnovers this year too, btw. Adding Haynesworth and 2 rookies on the DL doesn't automatically guarantee this happening. What if Hall looks like he did in Oakland? Or Rogers is out all year? Or 2 of those guys get injured? The Patriots could lose 1/2 their defense and still compete for the title. Us, not so much. In the past if Griffen was out, or Springs was out, we were finished most of the time. Not much has changed even though the names may be different. Haynesworth misses 3-6 games every single year, and this is no longer a contract year for him either. If Samuels goes down again it's over, and you know that we will have 2+ other injured OLmen out for stretches. It happens every year, and the lack of any depth never changes. :2cents:

Hey Debbie...I'm gonna pretend like i didn't read this...thanks Ms. Downer :D

your probably right though :doh:

Vegas's predicted division finishes last year according to the 2008 preseason odds I found online (actual finish in parentheses):

AFC North

1. Steelers (1)

2. Browns (4)

3. Bengals (3)

4. Ravens (2)

AFC East

1. Patriots (2)

2T. Bills (4)

2T. Jets (3)

4. Dolphins (1)

AFC South

1. Colts (2)