Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Colts sign Cody Glenn to PS

mi6

Don't they have to sign them to the active roster? I'm not bothered by this turn of events. I never really liked him as a prospect and I thought he was a bad draft pick when there were some decent options left on the board. Alas, the two guys I liked haven't had a great start either. Fenuki Tupou just got put on IR and I think A.Q. Shipley got released. Maybe we did well there by targeting Edwin Williams over Shipley so I can't get too mad about that.

Glenn was purely an upside pick and I think the coaches felt that he hadn't shown enough progress to reward them for taking him on his potential. They made the right call in sticking with Henson over him.

Mosley sort of implied that again when mentioning the Skins cutting him.

That's one of the sources of criticism I was talking about.

Yeah he could turn out good, but IMO its jumping the gun to say this guy is validated as a good player becuase even though the Skins cut him, the Colts liked him. Granted making the team is a nice start but lets see if he plays and if so plays well. Personally I got no clue.

No, no, I agree completely. I'm just saying that if he was SUCH a bad pick at that point (as Mosley and some others pointed out) I don't think another team would have picked him up. I would think he'd be one of those guys that gets cut and you either never hear from him again, or he's on the PS. That's all I'm saying is it looks like the pick wasn't as bad as some pointed out, not that he's going to be on a roster for the long haul or even amount to anything.

Well, I don't think he and Henson were that different, so it's pretty much a wash. I'm happy for him though. Funny that people (media) criticized the Skins for picking the guy in the 5th and then he's now signed to the Colts active roster.

Hmmmm, so does that mean it wasn't that bad of a pick?

I think most of us thought it was a wasted pick because at the time we were all so eager to get OL help and we seemed to ignore it.

I never understood why we drafted this guy in the first place.

Great athlete with a versatile skillset. It just so happens at this point, Henson was the more polished linebacker and had greater promise as a future contributor for this football team.

No, no, I agree completely. I'm just saying that if he was SUCH a bad pick at that point (as Mosley and some others pointed out) I don't think another team would have picked him up. I would think he'd be one of those guys that gets cut and you either never hear from him again, or he's on the PS. That's all I'm saying is it looks like the pick wasn't as bad as some pointed out, not that he's going to be on a roster for the long haul or even amount to anything.

Sure, OK, I agree -- he's unlikely a disaster if a team like the Colts see something in him.

Here's a look at the OL that were taken after Cody Glenn and how they fared in the roster cuts battle:

Tupou, Fenuki........OT.....6'5".....314.....Oregon.....Placed on IR

Meredith, Jamon.....OT.....6'5".....304.....South Carolina.....Signed to Packers Practice Squad

Robinson, Duke.......OT.....6'5".....329.....Oklahoma.....Made Panthers Roster as a backup guard

Johnson, Herman.....OT.....6'7".....364.....LSU..........Made Cardinals Roster as a backup RT

Bussey, George.......OT.....6'3".....306.....Louisville.....Placed on IR

Gardner, Andrew.....OT.....6'7".....304.....Georgia Tech.....Made Dolphins Roster as a backup LT/RT

Slauson, Matt........OG.....6'5".....316.....Nebraska.....Made Jets Roster as a backup guard

Fanaika, Paul.........OG.....6'5".....327.....Arizona State.....Cut by Eagles

Schlueter, Blake.....C.....6'2".....290.....TCU.....Cut by Broncos

Shipley, A.Q..........C.....6'1".....304.....Penn State.....Cut by Steelers

Durand, Ryan.........OG.....6'5".....307.....Syracuse.....Signed to Titans Practice Squad

Louis, Lance..........OG.....6'2".....303.....San Diego State.....Made Bears Roster as a backup guard

Canfield, Trevor.....OG.....6'5".....307.....Cincinnati.....Cut by Cardinals

So I'm not saying that we coulda struck gold if we hadn't drafted Glenn, but guys like Johnson, Herman and Gardner, Andrew are kinda what we're looking for as far as depth along the OL. I have no idea how they played, but it seems they were good enough to make the roster, and Gardner can backup both left and right tackle? I wonder how talented he is. Might have been a nicer thing to have him in camp instead of another LB.

Here's a look at the OL that were taken after Cody Glenn and how they fared in the roster cuts battle:

Tupou, Fenuki........OT.....6'5".....314.....Oregon.....Placed on IR

Meredith, Jamon.....OT.....6'5".....304.....South Carolina.....Signed to Packers Practice Squad

Robinson, Duke.......OT.....6'5".....329.....Oklahoma.....Made Panthers Roster as a backup guard

Johnson, Herman.....OT.....6'7".....364.....LSU..........Made Cardinals Roster as a backup RT

Bussey, George.......OT.....6'3".....306.....Louisville.....Placed on IR

Gardner, Andrew.....OT.....6'7".....304.....Georgia Tech.....Made Dolphins Roster as a backup LT/RT

Slauson, Matt........OG.....6'5".....316.....Nebraska.....Made Jets Roster as a backup guard

Fanaika, Paul.........OG.....6'5".....327.....Arizona State.....Cut by Eagles

Schlueter, Blake.....C.....6'2".....290.....TCU.....Cut by Broncos

Shipley, A.Q..........C.....6'1".....304.....Penn State.....Cut by Steelers

Durand, Ryan.........OG.....6'5".....307.....Syracuse.....Signed to Titans Practice Squad

Louis, Lance..........OG.....6'2".....303.....San Diego State.....Made Bears Roster as a backup guard

Canfield, Trevor.....OG.....6'5".....307.....Cincinnati.....Cut by Cardinals

So I'm not saying that we coulda struck gold if we hadn't drafted Glenn, but guys like Johnson, Herman and Gardner, Andrew are kinda what we're looking for as far as depth along the OL. I have no idea how they played, but it seems they were good enough to make the roster, and Gardner can backup both left and right tackle? I wonder how talented he is. Might have been a nicer thing to have him in camp instead of another LB.

Good post. I wanted an OL drafted when Glenn was selected and was curious what happened to some of the guys I was interested in. I was just too lazy to do the research. I really liked Robinson, Johnson, and Meredith.

I agree, I wasn't happy about skipping OL all draft, and I specifically hoped we'd pick Herman or Robinson all the way through the draft. I was livid when I saw we picked up two LBers, but both the guys we picked are backups as well. Course, I'd trade either one for Johnson or Robinson right now. We could have kept Young, but I guess we get what we get now.

I don't think the picks made much sense for us, but the players picked up were good enough for depth, but I, like all the rest of us, wish we'd picked up some OL depth instead.

Guest NebraSKIN
"talented LB" REALLY seems like a bit of a stretch don't you think? Maybe? A little?

Yep, a HUGE stretch. I thoght that when we drafted him out of nowhere. It was a mistake. I watched him play on Saturdays. He was a below average RB, then he goes over to LB, and because we were desperate for LB talent he played. He was an average LB, that was often caught out of position. I'm so happy he is not on the team, and that we didn't pay a contract to him. He is a project at best, and probably the best place for him would be special teams. I hate to say it, but do not be distraught about this one.

Also, Chase Daniel is a ****, beeeacccch. I'm especially glad he's gone.

Whatever way people want to spin this, the pick was a complete waste and given the problems that still persist with our line depth it was a disaster.

For a team that has had so few picks in the last few years, we need to have a much better hit rate than we do. The pick was a headscratcher anyway so it is no great loss to me. I am more angry at the lost pick.

Even if the Front Office still rates Glenn, they can now do nothing with him.

We've had drafted O-Linemen "good enough to make the roster" who fans here have said absolutely sucked lol...half the fans here are saying Rinehart sucks. But he was "good enough to make the roster".

Yeah, and add to that the fact that we've got some other guys who were "good enough to make the roster", like Batiste or Eddie Williams. I don't know how they stack up to Robinson (who I wanted us to draft) or Herman or Gardner, but I haven't heard about any of these guys being Chris Horton's or Marko Mitchell's (or in 2007 Stephon Heyer's). So maybe the front office didn't like any of the offensive linemen in the draft and knew that we could get the guys we wanted in free agency.

Many of us have criticized our FO and Cerrato, sometimes legitimately, sometimes not. But slowly, step by step, we are building depth thru the draft and FA. This is not just a "homer" view, but rather based upon facts. When was the last time that 3 players we cut were claimed off waivers by other teams? Progress is being made. And that progress is where it counts: at the bottom of the draft. It is a no-brainer to pick an Orapko. Pick a 7th rounder and have him make the team: Mitchell this year and Horton last year.

Glenn and Henson were equal in my eyes (thanfully my livelihood does not depend on my player picking skills!) after watching both closely in the preseason games. Who would you have cut instead in order to keep Glenn?

Would we have the same thread about Henson if we had cut him and kept Glenn, and Henson had been claimed by the Colts?

HTTR

:helmet:

Well, I don't think he and Henson were that different, so it's pretty much a wash. I'm happy for him though. Funny that people (media) criticized the Skins for picking the guy in the 5th and then he's now signed to the Colts active roster.

Hmmmm, so does that mean it wasn't that bad of a pick?

when the redskins do it it's a stupid move, when a team who consistently wins does it it's a genius move.

that's how the media works, i don't pay attention anymore.

we overpayed for haynsworth and he won't live up to his billing, but for the giants he would have worked out and been unstoppable.

Whatever way people want to spin this, the pick was a complete waste and given the problems that still persist with our line depth it was a disaster.

For a team that has had so few picks in the last few years, we need to have a much better hit rate than we do. The pick was a headscratcher anyway so it is no great loss to me. I am more angry at the lost pick.

Even if the Front Office still rates Glenn, they can now do nothing with him.

we're starting more draft picks than any other team in the nfc east. look at our drafts and give them more than a month, then start to analyze it.

Archived