Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

ES: cut to the chase

themurf

I've been a member here a very short time, but i have been reading Murph's stuff for a while now. His contributions to this site are much better than some of the idiotic, and uninformed opinions of some of the folks who post sporadically on here. Myself included. I appreciate the work Murph and as usual, great read.:logo:

Well, here's the thing that gets me... Some people that are going to be critical of a fan writing a blog about his opinion should put their money where their mouth is and write something of their own. There are some people, who I generally disagree with, that write outstanding stuff. Oldfan, for one. He and I just don't agree on alot of things, but I'll tell you what, I respect him. His stuff is always well put together and well written.

Instead of blasting, feel free to not post. Or, you can give some constructive criticism.

From everything I have seen since minicamp, Rayner has a stronger leg. And whenever I've seen the two kickers square off in a head-to-head drill (like, for example, at fan appreciation day), Rayner wins.

Now, I'm not there every single day. And coaches know what they're looking for more than one random blogger. I'm just saying I like going with the guy who has looked better to me, personally, and who can consistently land his kickoffs near the goal line rather than the 5 or 10.

If those don't sound good to you, then that's okay too. Unlike too many other folks around here, I personally don't need everyone to agree with my personal opinions.

When it comes to discussions like this, I tend to get more into the logic and rationale behind the conclusions than the conclusions themselves. It's irrelevant to me whether or not anyone agrees with me, but if they think I'm wrong I like for it to be for reasons that make me think instead of make me go :doh: lol...and that happens a bit too much around here at times.

As for the Ranyer/Suisham competition, I haven't seen Rayner kick other than in the few instances this preseason that he kicked during games. I've also noticed his kickoffs traveling farther than Suisham's do, but I place a higher priority on field goals, I guess. I'd rather have 10% more field goals converted than get 5 extra yards on kickoffs. We need every point we can get this season. People here were wanting to burn Suisham at the stake for having the type of production last year Rayner has had for his entire career.

Amen. Glad he is a fan and loves the team, but I am Super Glad he doesn't work for the Skins.

Pros- Takes ok photos and covers events like TC and preseason in a satisfactory manner. He will disappear to his Obscured View Seating once the real season starts.

Cons- Horrible blog and journeyman writer (at best). Speeding down the interstate swerving in and out of traffic in a circa 1990's jeep/SUV because you are late. Live hard, Live fast BMurf.

I'm going to try to be nice and let you down easy, because it's clear you've spent an awful lot of time thinking about me. While it's flattering, I have to tell you, I am married. You and I are never going to happen.

Feel free to keep tabs on me or whatever works for you, but try not to disrupt the rest of us who are actually here in hopes of (semi-) intelligent conversation about our favorite football team. Good day.

All I am saying is that official news should be stickied. Opinion Blogs should not.

It is shameless self-promotion.

No, any well-written, informative thread or article should be stickied, period. Half the official "news" stories couldn't hold a candle to some of the far more insightful and interesting thoughts and opinions written by members here (and that's not just the staff, so don't go there lol)...

thesubmittedone did a fantastic breakdown of some of the presason games, and his thread was sticked for awhile, which pleasantly surprised me. This board could use better threads being promoted and less *******-ish retorts being passed off as "keeping it real" or "just telling the truth".

When it comes to discussions like this, I tend to get more into the logic and rationale behind the conclusions than the conclusions themselves. It's irrelevant to me whether or not anyone agrees with me, but if they think I'm wrong I like for it to be for reasons that make me think instead of make me go :doh: lol...and that happens a bit too much around here at times.

As for the Ranyer/Suisham competition, I haven't seen Rayner kick other than in the few instances this preseason that he kicked during games. I've also noticed his kickoffs traveling farther than Suisham's do, but I place a higher priority on field goals, I guess. I'd rather have 10% more field goals converted than get 5 extra yards on kickoffs. We need every point we can get this season. People here were wanting to burn Suisham at the stake for having the type of production last year Rayner has had for his entire career.

My question is, how accurate is Rayner? We have seen nothing this preseason from the guy and his career % doesnt make me feel all that secure.

No, any well-written, informative thread or article should be stickied, period. Half the official "news" stories couldn't hold a candle to some of the far more insightful and interesting thoughts and opinions written by members here (and that's not just the staff, so don't go there lol)...

thesubmittedone did a fantastic breakdown of some of the presason games, and his thread was sticked for awhile, which pleasantly surprised me. This board could use better threads being promoted and less *******-ish retorts being passed off as "keeping it real" or "just telling the truth".

:applause:

7.Only had access to radio play-by-play, but Larry Michael said Mitchell was held on the first endzone pass on the last series, so Chase MAY have actually thrown 3 TD passes to get one. Also, Mitchell dropped a pass on Chase’s first series which Sonny J. said hit him in the hands and he should haave caught, so no telling where that drive would have ended. Having said all that, I think they will keep the wrong(IMO) guy, i.e., Brennan.

My question is, how accurate is Rayner? We have seen nothing this preseason from the guy and his career % doesnt make me feel all that secure.

All we can go by for now is his career % over the three years he's been in the league, and yeah, it's not at all impressive lol. The thing about kickers, though, is that they can look absolutely horrible one year, and then rebound like crazy the next year and then look mediocre the year after that, then look stellar the year after THAT lol...then hopefully keep a consistent accuracy going for most of the rest of their careers (over 80%). Happens ALL the time. So young kickers like Suisham and Rayner looking bad one year shouldn't cause too much of a panic...looking bad for 3 years in a row, though, might be telling.

The thing about kickers, though, is that they can look absolutely horrible one year, and then rebound like crazy the next year ...

You're absolutely right. Lets not forget that David Akers was once a nobody who the Redskins cut. He rebounded pretty nicely and has had a solid career.

Well put Murf! I like the article.

I agree with keeping Chase. It was a simple case of Colt not playing well enough in the preseason and Chase playing above Colt throughout the preseaon. I would like to see the Skins make him the 3rd string QB. I think he has earned it.

I also want Mitchell to make the team. It would be great to see another 7th rounder [Horton] make this team and perform.

hold on there, you think chase earned the 3rd spot because he outplayed brennan this preseason? if thats your thinking, then brennan shouldve been the starter last year because brennan outplayed campbell in last years preseason.

IMO, Chase is better because he did a lot better than Colt with the SAME offense on the field, and he did better in less playing time. Chase played in every game and had 1 TD and 3 INTS. Chase got 3 TDs and no INTs in just two games. He did not even play in games 1 and 3. Can someone please explain to me why we would keep Chase over Colt?

I'm going to try to be nice and let you down easy, because it's clear you've spent an awful lot of time thinking about me. While it's flattering, I have to tell you, I am married. You and I are never going to happen.

Feel free to keep tabs on me or whatever works for you, but try not to disrupt the rest of us who are actually here in hopes of (semi-) intelligent conversation about our favorite football team. Good day.

ROFL, bravo.

However, I don't want to see Irishloser go - he's FUNNY (if you like *******s) don't ban him, yet. Please!

Onto the topic:

Chase played better but for some reason I feel more comfortable with Colt. I think its due to his 2 years in the system.

I would go with Rayner just because SS is what he is. You never know with kickers. One year they are hot, and then all the sudden they start missing kicks left and right never to recover.

IMO, Chase is better because he did a lot better than Colt with the SAME offense on the field, and he did better in less playing time. Chase played in every game and had 1 TD and 3 INTS. Chase got 3 TDs and no INTs in just two games. He did not even play in games 1 and 3. Can someone please explain to me why we would keep Chase over Colt?

Man, you really screwed up that post lol :yes:...

I think I know what you meant...

The difference was (imho): Colt was playing the starter's scheme and the task was to see if he could run it like a starter. March down the field, mix it up, do an assortment of things and end up with points.

He did that.

Chase's first two games were like Colt's rookie year. Simple plays, "let's see how you handle yourself in a game" scenario. Perfect rookie scheme to build confidence and gain experience if you're successful.

Like playing golf, Chase started from the red tees and Colt started from the blue tees.

The beauty of last night's game was that Colt executed what Coach Zorn gave him beautifully and got the points. When Colt was injured, Chase was in sync with what was happening on the field and continued the momentum and got the points. That was sweet. And for the rookie, it was a blessing to have that be the last thing you did in preseason.

The Man upstairs is always in charge- no matter what we think :D

I can't believe I'm saying this, especially as a noted JC guy, but I might give Colt the 3rd spot. Really, I don't want either him or Chase to sniff the field this year, but I actually might feel better with Colt in there. He was looking pretty good yesterday, before he got hurt, and while I like what Chase did at the end, he looked pretty pedestrian during the 2nd quarter.

On, and FI...seriously, why don't you can it for awhile? Don't make me be ashamed of being Irish myself.

I think Colt Brennan has very good gamesmanship and will be the #2 QB next season. Isn't this the last season of Collins contract? Brennan has the ability to play the game the way Coach Zorn wants his QBs to play for him. This shows that Colt is coach-able and not star motivated by improvising. He threw 2 of his 3 picks at targets at the goal line. Made the same mistake twice. He was convinced that he could squeeze that ball in there - in that tight space. I think at that point (second pick, that is) he began to realize that this is not college football. Last season's Colt Brennan has grown up and excepts the fact that Zorn knows more about the game than Colt does. Next season will be Brennan's year to move up to a legitimate status of backup NFL QB.

It was fun watching his rookie season but he cannot play at that level with Zorn who believes in discipline Quarterbacks. The INT's came at a critical time in the game but no harm was done because it was a rookie mistake that even establish QBs regress to on occasions.

As for Daniel, he has maturity in a different way in his rookie year than Brennan had in his. Colt was more care-free, Ala, Farve like. A cry from Campbell and Daniel. Thus, the change of venue for Brennan this season, reinventing his swagger to take on the serious QB role. Colt has made a change in his style of play to accommodate the stereotypical NFL QB. I applaud him for wanting to please the Coach. Once he learns how to manage the discipline and gamesmanship, he will be special.

I think Colt should be the #3 QB. He wants it more in a different way than he did in his rookie season. He is showing maturity and he knows the pecking order of the QB hierarchy in DC and does not want to rock the boat by displacing Collins this season. But next season, 2010, is a different year.

For all of you who hate or dislike him, look how he knowingly or unknowingly has change his game. He has the ability to learn more from Jason Campbell than rookie Chase Daniel because Chase will be in the same place next season as Colt finds himself in now.

On another note, I would love to see Jim Zorn coach up Kevin O'Connor, yeah, that guy that was cut by the Patriots.

Archived