Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WP: Employers Cut 216,000 Jobs in August; Unemployment Rate Rises to 9.7 Percent

PiLfan

The unemployment rate rose to 9.7 percent in August, the highest since June 1983, as employers eliminated a net total of 216,000 jobs.

Analysts expect businesses will be reluctant to hire until they are convinced the economy is on a firm path to recovery. Many private economists, and the Federal Reserve, expect the unemployment rate to top 10 percent by the end of this year.

While the jobless rate rose more than expected, the number of job cuts is less than July's upwardly revised total of 276,000 and the lowest in a year, according to Labor Department data released Friday. Economists expected the unemployment rate to rise to 9.5 percent from July's 9.4 percent and job reductions to total 225,000.

If laid-off workers who have settled for part-time work or have given up looking for new jobs are included, the so-called underemployment rate reached 16.8 percent, the highest on records dating from 1994.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/09/04/AR2009090401344.html

They were expecting about 225K jobs lost in Aug, so not as bad as expected. Still a rotten number and doesn't look like much in terms of job growth anytime soon.

9.7%...ouch

While the jobless rate rose more than expected, the number of job cuts is less than July's upwardly revised total of 276,000 and the lowest in a year, according to Labor Department data released Friday.

Ok, this is what annoys me. This month job cuts are better than they were last month. But that's AFTER they revised the job cut numbers for last month. Why should I have any faith that this month's numbers are any more accurate than last month's numbers when they came out?

The whole "better than" "worse than" thing is irrelevant. At this point, the data is not accurate enough to make those kinds of statements.

My prediction is 11% by April '10. The winter months are typically the harshest. It seems like a yearly December tradition for my company to do layoffs. We haven't hired anybody state side since the summer of '08. We have however expanded our India office. I see the writing on the wall. It won't take much to get them to close up shop here completely and go overseas.

Honestly, no one really knows if the recession is done or not, or if jobs are going to come back soon or not. During the 15 years of the great depression we seemed to be coming out of it multiple times through government aid, only to have it slump back down again in 6 months.

Maybe the left is correct: we are coming to the light at the end of the tunnel and jobs will catch up.

Maybe the right is correct: jobs will keep falling and the recession is far from over.

I do know one thing though

mardi gras skins: Environmentalists will always be left wing nuts

:silly:

Just keep repeating the Dec 07 date when the Right wingers start bashing Obama, k. ;)

That's when it started:),unlike some I don't fear truth or try to pass off responsibility.(not directed at you)

O will be accountable for his own actions,and I think I've been fairly restrained in criticism of him...so far.:evilg:

Archived