Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

PFT: NFL admits faulty research led to scoreboard issue

bobbee1011

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2009/09/03/nfl-admits-faulty-research-led-to-scoreboard-issue/

by Gregg Rosenthal

NFL Vice President of Operations Ray Anderson admitted the league's culpability in the Dallas Cowboys scoreboard fiasco Thursday.

He says the league didn't do an appropriate job researching the minimum height required of the scoreboard to avoid becoming a nuisance. The league has conducted more comprehensive researched recently.

"Prior to that the research was very inexact," Anderson told PFT's Tom Curran and others in New York Thursday. "It was a guesstimate. And we as a department, we came to the conclusion that 85 feet was appropriate. That was a mistake on our part. At the end of the day, there was a lack of communication. But if we see a rule . . . that needs tweaking (we must move on it)."

Some change is coming. Jerry Jones will move a Mitsubishi ad at the base of the scoreboard by the home opener in an effort to help fix the problem.

Talking about the scoreboard, Roger Goodell said the "Integrity of game is paramount," but there were also concerns about engineering and safety.

And yet all it took the Colts was a few minutes and some common sense to ensure that their scoreboard didn't interfere with games.
You're correct, it really shouldn't take much research.
Some change is coming. Jerry Jones will move a Mitsubishi ad at the base of the scoreboard by the home opener in an effort to help fix the problem.
What is possibly left to raise the price on to cover this unforeseen expense?

And yet all it took the Colts was a few minutes and some common sense to ensure that their scoreboard didn't interfere with games.

Bill Polian said Hunter Smith, who is now in Washington, hit a 90-foot bar inside the RCA Dome as the Colts pondered a center-hung board for their new stadium, but Smith said it never happened.:doh:

Wait...according to Jerruh, there WAS no "fault" TO be given for the height of the scoreboard...he clearly let it be known that no punter would EVER hit it unless he was "kicking straight up" without any concern about distance or anything else and was purposefully trying to hit it. So, according to Jerruh, the scoreboard should stay right where it is, because it's perfect...the league doesn't have to admit guilt of any kind.

Wait...according to Jerruh, there WAS no "fault" TO be given for the height of the scoreboard...he clearly let it be known that no punter would EVER hit it unless he was "kicking straight up" without any concern about distance or anything else and was purposefully trying to hit it. So, according to Jerruh, the scoreboard should stay right where it is, because it's perfect...the league doesn't have to admit guilt of any kind.

Irregardless of what you think. It IS higher than what the NFL mandated. You can scream until you're blue in the face.

It is beyond what was required.

Irregardless of what you think. It IS higher than what the NFL mandated. You can scream until you're blue in the face.

It is beyond what was required.

Did I say otherwise? lol...

No.

What I DID say, though, is that the NFL saying the height requirement was "faulty" contradicts Jerruh's assertations that the height of the scoreboard is perfect as-is, nothing "faulty" about it. Ignore that apsect all you want. ;)

And it's "regardless", not "irregardless" lol :D...

Jerry is not going to move it until the NFL pays to move it and even then JJ may put up a fight.......

Kind of like you go and put up a fence around your property ...you go and get all of the paperwork and the city approval that is needed then have a fence company come out and install it..then after it is up the city comes back to your home and tells you sorry we made a mistake so you have to take it down and move it to another spot.......who here would pay money out of their own pocket to have your new fence moved when all along the city said it was fine....not me I am going to fight the city to keep it where it is.........and if I have no choice and have to move it the city is going to pay to have it moved ...not me.....same thing here...

Archived