Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

THF: Obama's Team Crosses the Rhetorical Line

Zguy28

It's a "stay in school" message. People are paranoid.

It wasnt paranoia, the fact is, the assignments that were sent from the Ed secretary were not in the "stay in school" vein. The white house has retracted those assignments due to the outcry.

from the link i posted earlier..

"The Obama administration is rethinking its course recommendations for students ahead of President Obama's address to the the nation's schoolchildren next week, rewriting its suggestions to teachers for student assignments on how to "help the president

The issue was more with the assignments (which really arent allowed) from the Ed dept.

I don't think so. Bush had plenty of "Undersecretary of Health and Human Services for such and so" just the same as Obama.

The Czar meme is just something that popped up recently on right wing talk, based on pretty much nothing. I guess they figure that Czar sounds Russian, and the Russians used to be commies, so if they talk about Czars a lot is makes Obama sound like a commie too. Or something.

Not sure if this is correct, it's hard to find accurate info on it, but I think Bush had 9 or 10 "czars"

here is the list that is still growing under President Obama...

Afghanistan-Pakistan (Af-Pak) czar, Richard Holbrooke

AIDS czar, Jeffrey Crowley

Auto recovery czar, Ed Montgomery

Behavioral science czar, position not yet filled

Bailout czar, Herbert Allison Jr., [replaced Bush bailout czar Neel Kashkari, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Financial Stability confirmed by Senate]

Border czar, Alan Bersin

Car czar, Ron Bloom [Counselor to the Secretary of the Treasury , under Senate oversight]

Climate change czar, Todd Stern

Copyright czar, not appointed yet

Counterterrorism czar, John Brennan

Cybersecurity czar, position will be vacant on August 21st [upon the departure of Melissa Hathaway]

Disinformation czar, Linda Douglass

Domestic violence czar, Lynn Rosenthal

Drug czar, Gil Kerlikowske

Economic czar, Larry Summers

Economic czar number two, Paul Volcker

Education czar, Arne Duncan

Energy czar, Carol Browner

Food czar, Michael Taylor

Government performance czar, Jeffrey Zients

Great Lakes czar, Cameron Davis

Green jobs czar, Van Jones

Guantanamo closure czar, Daniel Fried

Health czar, Nancy-Ann DeParle

Infotech czar, Vivek Kundra

Intelligence czar, Dennis Blair

Latin-American czar, Arturo Valenzuela (nominee)

Mideast peace czar, George Mitchell

Mideast policy czar, Dennis Ross

Pay czar, Kenneth Feinberg

Regulatory czar, Cass Sunstein

Religion czar, aka God czar Joshua DuBois

Safe schools czar, Kevin Jennings

Science czar, John Holdren

Stimulus oversight czar, Earl Devaney

Sudan czar, J. Scott Gration

TARP czar, Elizabeth Warren

Technology czar, Aneesh Chopra

Trade czar, Ron Kirk

Urban affairs czar, Adolfo Carrion

War czar, Douglas Lute

Weapons czar, Ashton Carter [actually Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics and so subject to Senate confirmation]

Weapons of mass destruction czar, Gary Samore

Positions being planned:

Land-use czar

Mortgage czar, formally "consumer financial protection czar"

Radio-internet fairness czar

Student loan czar,

Voter list czar

Zoning czar

It wasnt paranoia, the fact is, the assignments that were sent from the Ed secretary were not in the "stay in school" vein. The white house has retracted those assignments due to the outcry.

from the link i posted earlier..

"The Obama administration is rethinking its course recommendations for students ahead of President Obama's address to the the nation's schoolchildren next week, rewriting its suggestions to teachers for student assignments on how to "help the president

The issue was more with the assignments (which really arent allowed) from the Ed dept.

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

When I read the outcry abut this, I was on FreeRepublic, and people weren't complaining about any assignments. The outcry was about how the schools were going to let Obama talk to their children at all without their written consent, and how that was unconstitutional, and so forth. No one was talking about any assignments (although, to me, it sounds like the assignments really were basic civics stuff, inartfully worded).

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification.

When I read the outcry abut this, I was on FreeRepublic, and people weren't complaining about any assignments. The outcry was about how the schools were going to let Obama talk to their children at all without their written consent, and how that was unconstitutional, and so forth. No one was talking about any assignments (although, to me, it sounds like the assignments really were basic civics stuff, inartfully worded).

Yeah, I cant stand those stupid freepers. Bad mojo for real conservatives.

(Honestly, i wouldnt put violence past that group at all btw)

Not sure if this is correct, it's hard to find accurate info on it, but I think Bush had 9 or 10 "czars"

Maybe that's because Obama is actually trying to do a good job running the country? :whoknows:

Do you understand the concept of delegating? Do you realize that Obama cannot personally oversee day-to-day operations of everything?

Please tell me the difference between a Czar and a person responsible for reporting/monitoring/advising the president about a particular set of issues.

Afghanistan-Pakistan (Af-Pak) czar, Richard Holbrooke

AIDS czar, Jeffrey Crowley

Auto recovery czar, Ed Montgomery

Behavioral science czar, position not yet filled

Bailout czar, Herbert Allison Jr., [replaced Bush bailout czar Neel Kashkari, Assistant Secretary of the Treasury for Financial Stability confirmed by Senate]

Border czar, Alan Bersin

Car czar, Ron Bloom [Counselor to the Secretary of the Treasury , under Senate oversight]

Climate change czar, Todd Stern

Copyright czar, not appointed yet

Counterterrorism czar, John Brennan

Cybersecurity czar, position will be vacant on August 21st [upon the departure of Melissa Hathaway]

Disinformation czar, Linda Douglass

Domestic violence czar, Lynn Rosenthal

Drug czar, Gil Kerlikowske

Economic czar, Larry Summers

Economic czar number two, Paul Volcker

Education czar, Arne Duncan

Energy czar, Carol Browner

Food czar, Michael Taylor

Government performance czar, Jeffrey Zients

Great Lakes czar, Cameron Davis

Green jobs czar, Van Jones

Guantanamo closure czar, Daniel Fried

Health czar, Nancy-Ann DeParle

Infotech czar, Vivek Kundra

Intelligence czar, Dennis Blair

Latin-American czar, Arturo Valenzuela (nominee)

Mideast peace czar, George Mitchell

Mideast policy czar, Dennis Ross

Pay czar, Kenneth Feinberg

Regulatory czar, Cass Sunstein

Religion czar, aka God czar Joshua DuBois

Safe schools czar, Kevin Jennings

Science czar, John Holdren

Stimulus oversight czar, Earl Devaney

Sudan czar, J. Scott Gration

TARP czar, Elizabeth Warren

Technology czar, Aneesh Chopra

Trade czar, Ron Kirk

Urban affairs czar, Adolfo Carrion

War czar, Douglas Lute

Weapons czar, Ashton Carter [actually Under Secretary of Defense for Acquisition, Technology, and Logistics and so subject to Senate confirmation]

Weapons of mass destruction czar, Gary Samore

Positions being planned:

Land-use czar

Mortgage czar, formally "consumer financial protection czar"

Radio-internet fairness czar

Student loan czar,

Voter list czar

Zoning czar

Bull. Look at that list. You are telling me that Bush didn't have a secretary of energy and now Obama has Carol Browner)? He didn't have a secretary of education? He had no economic advisors? He didn't have specific guys assigned to monitor specific programs and issues. How gullible are you?

Tell the truth - where did you get this list?

Tons of guys like this existed under Bush too. There always are a zillion Undersecretaries for various issues. Just no one used to call them "czars". And Obama doesn't call them czars either.

Please tell me the difference between a Czar and a person responsible for reporting/monitoring/advising the president about a particular set of issues.

One of them is when Obama does it, and it can be used to scare people about rampant Czarism.

The other is when a responsible Republican does it.

Bull. Look at that list. You are telling me that Bush didn't have a secretary of energy and now Obama has Carol Browner)? He didn't have a secretary of education? He had no economic advisors? He didn't have specific guys assigned to monitor specific programs and issues. How gullible are you?

Tell the truth - where did you get this list?

Tons of guys like this existed under Bush too. There always are a zillion Undersecretaries for various issues. Just no one used to call them "czars". And Obama doesn't call them czars either.

I'm positive that I started my post with "I'm not sure if this is correct" on the Bush Czars (or other terms for them).

I had the list emailed to me from my dad.

Now that said.

I know for sure there wasnt a Pay czar nor a Car Czar unbtil Obama's admin. Also pretty sure there wasnt a climate change czar, Green jobs czar, or a TARP czar.

lastly, regardless of who had more. The whole concept of an unelected Czar with large amounts of power over things like the economy, simply bothers me.

I thought under secretary's had to be confirmed by the Senate and report through those channels, but a "Czar" reported directly to the POTUS and he alone had the ability to appoint without confirmation.

IS that wrong?

That would make all the difference in the world,wouldn't it?

That would make all the difference in the world,wouldn't it?

Apparently not to some people.

Curious that someone that can't get confirmed by a dem controlled senate Still;) gets to supervise officially.

Seems to be a end run around on the surface.

I know for sure there wasnt a Pay czar nor a Car Czar unbtil Obama's admin. Also pretty sure there wasnt a climate change czar, Green jobs czar, or a TARP czar.

What makes you think that any of these people are "Czars," rather than just a point person for the President on a particular policy initiative?

lastly, regardless of who had more. The whole concept of an unelected Czar with large amounts of power over things like the economy, simply bothers me.

What power do they have, other than the power the President already has to oversee the executive branch? He's the President - he's not allowed to have whatever advisors he thinks he needs?

Hell, where does this whole idea come from, that if the President puts an advisor on a specific policy initiative, then suddenly that person has been elevated to the rank of Grand High Poobah with the power to move mountains?

Hell, where does this whole idea come from, that if the President puts an advisor on a specific policy initiative, then suddenly that person has been elevated to the rank of Grand High Poobah with the power to move mountains?

Well if it doesn't mean that then their point is entirely rebutted...so it must mean that...duh :dunce:

I thought under secretary's had to be confirmed by the Senate and report through those channels, but a "Czar" reported directly to the POTUS and he alone had the ability to appoint without confirmation.

IS that wrong?

As far as I can tell, "Czar" is a made up term by the media, shorthand for anyone that advises the President or leads a policy initiative.

The nefarious special powers attributed to such people appear to be a recent creation of the paranoia of the Right.

As far as I can tell, "Czar" is a made up term by the media, shorthand for anyone that advises the President or leads a policy initiative.

The nefarious special powers attributed to such people appear to be a recent creation of the paranoia of the Right.

Nah, there were howls of proetest when Bush was doing it.

Who made that claim?

I think the probelm some people have is the sheer number of them and the fact that they report directly to the WH with no Congressional confirmation or oversight.

I have a problem because more than half of them seem like nothing more than cronyism paying off his buddies.

Archived