Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

DMN: Tony Romo pleased with progress on cutting down turnovers

bobbee1011

http://cowboysblog.dallasnews.com/archives/2009/09/tony-Romo sits to pee-pleased-with-progress-on-cutti.html

Tony Romo sits to pee's primary goal set this off-season was to reduce his turnovers after committing 21 in 13 games last season.

The preseason results were pretty good. He committed one turnover in five quarters of work and readily admitted after the game that he made a poor decision on the pick, saying he should have taken the sack instead of making a risky throw.

But Romo sits to pee doesn't want to get into specifics about his turnover total. He danced around a question about how many of his turnovers last season were avoidable.

"I think every quarterback in the league should be looking at themselves from that same perspective and trying to figure out a way to minimize mistakes and turnovers," Romo sits to pee said. "Believe me, there's not one quarterback in the league who hasn't done something, turnover-wise, that they can get away with saying oh, 'I'll never do that again.' Everyone has things that they're going to work on to try to improve upon.

"There's no set numbers. Sometimes things happen for different reasons in a certain play. You just have to understand what went through your mind and why you're doing certain things and what can you make and turn into something that can be second nature to you instead of having to think. That's where practice comes into play."

The concern with Romo sits to pee's focus on cutting down turnovers was that it might detract from his playmaking ability. He acknowledged that there's an adjustment period.

"The time and effort you put in at practice, you'll see come out in those situations if you dedicate yourself to actually changing," Romo sits to pee said. "Same with a golf swing. Tiger Woods changed his golf swing. It's not going to be as natural in the beginning, but eventually it turns natural, then you get all your feel and everything back."

Is protecting the ball second nature to Romo sits to pee yet?

"I'm happy with the way the progression is taking shape," Romo sits to pee said. "I still have a long way to go."

I know preseason means squat but do the math.

2009 season

450 Att.- 14 Int. = 3.11%

450 Att. - 26 TDs = 5.78%

2010 preseason

33 Att. - 1 Int. = 3.03%

33 Att. - 1 TD = 3.03%

It does not look like Tony Romo sits to pee has cut his interceptions by much but the loss of TO or his decision making has cut his TDs in half (almost).

Who holds the record for most INTs in a season?
Because the topic of the thread is "Romo sits to pee pleased with his progress on cutting down turnovers", I would have to say Tony Romo sits to pee, otherwise I would be hijacking the thread.

George Blanda had 42 INT's in 1962 with Houston, but that was pre-merger.

Vinny Testeverde had 35 in 1988 with Tampa, so I guess that would really be your NFL record.

Just to stay on topic, I say Romo sits to pee is pleased, yet he hasn't shown any improvement. I guess that goes along with his line of thinking that it was ok to take a trip to Cabo before the playoffs a couple of seasons ago. He's such a happy go lucky guy, eh?

"10. When posting anything concerning news articles from outside sources, please include a direct link (i.e., URL) to the origination page/site.

Please paste the URL directly atop the post, above a small portion of the article's text (for example, the lead paragraph or a particular sentence or two) . Such a practice provides credibility and attribution to the source of the information, and allows visitors the option to visit the respective websites. You are responsible for the content you post.

If you are posting a published article from a news source, please title your thread in the following format: "SOURCE SHORTFORM: HEADLINE" (Ex. WP: Redskins Sign CB Shawn Springs). Please see our copyright statement."

--------------

Edit your title.

I smell a troll and another TR follower.

Referencing this thread now on page two:

http://www.extremeskins.com/showthread.php?t=296728

Perhaps Romo sits to pee hasn't learned. On post one you will notice the top three Interception leaders aready listed.

I sure hope Romo sits to pee looks good in September because if he doesn't it is going to be a long season. It is not as if Romo sits to pee excels in December and can make up the difference.

I saw that pick Romo sits to pee threw against SF...it was AWFUL!

He's the same guy. I didn't see him throw any passes away or take a sack.

He won't. I guess, he can't.

He's a failure.

Nothing has changed.

Who in their right mind would want their QB to take a sack in preseason ?

A student of the game would know that taking a sack is part of football.

I realize I'm speaking to a casual fan, but please, don't be so obvious.

Regular season yes, preseason ? Hell no.

But I would think an informed fan of football would know that you wouldn't want anything happening to your multi-million dollar starting QB in a totally meaningless game.

I know preseason means squat but do the math.

2009 season

450 Att.- 14 Int. = 3.11%

450 Att. - 26 TDs = 5.78%

2010 preseason

33 Att. - 1 Int. = 3.03%

33 Att. - 1 TD = 3.03%

Did he have any fumbles?

Just checking...

Because last i checked, that was his biggest problem last year....

I am putting in my disclaimer. Preseason means squat to me but...

In 450 attepts last year he lost 7 fumbles. That is averaging 1 fumble every 64 pass attempts. He has 33 attempts so far in the preseason against Oakland, Tennessee (minus their best defensive tackle from last year) and the 49ers. He is a 1/2 a fumble ahead of the curve right now against "stellar" defenses. His interception percentage matches last year and his touchdowns are almost cut in half. This is what the Romo sits to pee considers progress?

The most interceptions Romo sits to pee has thrown was in 2007 when he threw 19, but he also threw 36 touchdowns that year (many more TDs than Peyton Manning threw in the years when he had 28 and 23 picks) and won 13 games. There was a December slide in 2007, but Romo sits to pee was hardly a negative factor in the playoff loss to the Giants. Last year he only threw 14 interceptions to 26 touchdowns... and he was playing injured for part of that season.

So for me, it's honestly too early to really have any concrete negative opinion on Romo sits to pee. I've had people try to tell me that Romo sits to pee's interceptions are different somehow... they say Romo sits to pee's interceptions come as the result of stupid throws that he shouldn't have made. I ask this: How often does a quarterback throw an interception that isn't the direct result of him just making a bad/stupid throw?

No Cowboys fan on this forum (if you've been Cowboys fans your whole lives) is accustomed to seeing this much passing. We haven't had such a pass-happy team since before the 1990's at least, because Troy Aikman was generally throwing for 3,200 yards or less each year his entire career.

And a fun stat for you: Even though Romo sits to pee has thrown for 51 more touchdowns than Troy Aikman did in his first three years of play (Aikman had 38 games his first three years to Tony's 39), they have thrown the exact same number of interceptions, at 46.

That's not a slight on Aikman, because we all know what an amazing quarterback he turned out to be. Just sayin'.

Archived