Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Players and position battles to watch against the Jags?

SIXX99

As we all probably know the fourth preseason game is generally the game where the starters play one series and then the bubble guys get one last audition to try to make the roster. I'm really looking forward to watching this game to see who will win position battles and roster spots. On my watch list.....

1. Colt Brennan/Chase Daniel-In the final matchup between the Cult and the Church, I'm wanting to see if Chase is as good as he looked or if he just had a hot hand for one quarter. Colt is always exciting to watch but obviously he needs to play smart and not turn the ball over.

2. Shaun Suisham/Dave Rayner- With the lack of offence both kickers have not had very many opportunities to kick during the preseason. I think that this has really hurt Rayner's chance at un-seating Suisham:(.

3. Second String Defensive Backs- I am looking forward to seeing if guys like Tryon, Barnes, and Westbrook can continue to make plays like they did last week, against New England. They have all improved since the Baltimore game where they were completely man-handled all game. It will be interesting to see which guys Blache decides to keep.

4. Jeremy Jarmon- He looked pretty good in the first two games and I'm wanting to see more from production from him against Jacksonville. I hope he can have some impact on the D-line during the regular season as well.

5. Marko Mitchell- The offensive stud for the Redskins this preseason. He has been a strong red zone and goal line presence that has been missing from this team for a long time. Look for more good things to come from him.

6. Cartwright/Mason/Alridge/Dorsey- Chances are only one or two of these guys will make the roster. Most will be hoping the Redskins do not once again cut Marcus Mason after carrying the team through the preseason for another year. Cartwright will have to make a statement and show the coaches he doesn't need to be cut. Alridge and Dorsey will need to also have very strong showings to convice the coaches they warrant a roster spot.

Who is on your watchlist?

I was impressed with Jarmon in the first two games, but I don't recall hearing his name against New England, unless you count the time Phil Simms called the Pats' #76 by Jarmon's name. I'd like to see him bounce back and show me something more. If he contributes this season, I'll be ecstatic.

Oh, and Daniel FTW.

[Retreats to Church of Chase]

for my money, you nailed it with your #1 choice: the colt vs chase battle has me more excited for a 4th preseason game than any I can remember... whether intentional or not, zorn has publicly created an almost sudden-death importance on this game for that 3rd slot... I want to believe that colt is more secure than a poor performance would seem to indicate, but who knows with zorn... should be an exciting contrast...

I want to see our LB'ers. Right now, I'm guessing that Glenn makes it and Henson is on the PS.

I know we all want to see dorsey, mason and Alridge get extensive playing time. I hope Betts and Rock ride the pine.

I would like to see more of Marko Mitchell. I know he's gonna make the team, but he has been exciting to watch this offseason.

I think you have to compare Chase with Colt of a year ago .. they are about the same point in their development .

I think Colt will win the battle .

The thing I will be watching is who returns the kicks . If it is Aldridge/Dorsey/Thomas again then I think Rock may be in trouble. Everyone says he is a special teams wizz but we may have other options who are younger who may step up so I think Rock could go .

The other thing I will be watching is IF Williams plays on the OL and I will be watching the LB battle . These are of particular interest because I think it is going to be through carrying 6LB or 9 OL where we are going to find the space to fit a 4th RB ...

As far as the backup QB battle goes, I don't really care who wins, I just hope it's really really clear as to who deserves it (3 INTs by one, 3 TDs by the other). I'm really going to be watching the RBs. I really want someone to make it who can provide some kind of change of pace and none of the guys we have can do that.

Aldridge looked amazing in the 9 carries he got (and most of those were consecutive so it's not like the D was guessing as to what was coming). I also hope that Marko Mitchell makes it, but I think it would be more of a surprise if he weren't on the roster.

I really hope one of the change of pace RBs pulls a huge game out and proves he deserves the last roster spot.

I'm looking for a deep throw from Campbell to Thomas. After having tried with both Kelly and Moss and failing, it's time to see if maybe he can connect with Devin. Or, maybe we could let Campbell toss one to Mitchell. That or a nice fade :) I think Campbell and co. will play one quarter, right?

The most interesting thing after that would be the QB battle. I'm not rooting for either guy to succeed over the other, but I have a feeling that Chase will prevail. We shall see, though.

I wanna see how all our young DE/LB's do. Jarmon, Rak, and Chris Wilson.

I couldn't care less about the kicker competition. May the best man win the job.

One thing that would make me happy is any one of the RB's busting a long TD run. I don't care who it is or in what quarter. I just wanna see one of the guys do it.

Thats about it. No injuries and maybe a win just to avenge last year's game :D

What ever happend to Antonio Dixon? Forgive me if i havent been paying attention but how has he been doing?

He didn't play in the patriots game at all. Hopefully he will play tomorrow night against Jacksonville and show what he is capable of again!

I'd like Suisham to miss a FG so we can finally get this guy packing....you'd think missing that 30-yarder in the '07 Wild Card game at Seattle or going 12 for 20 from 40+ yards in '08 would be enough.

I would love to see him shank like a 32 yarder and send him back to Canada.

I want to try to watch the non-starting O-line play. Mike Williams is playing, right? I want to see if he can show flashes that he's made it back into NFL form. I want to see how Bridges and Rinehart do. Bugel's been talking up Will Montgomery, so I'd like to focus on him some.

I want to try to watch the non-starting O-line play. Mike Williams is playing, right? I want to see if he can show flashes that he's made it back into NFL form. I want to see how Bridges and Rinehart do. Bugel's been talking up Will Montgomery, so I'd like to focus on him some.

I really want to see big mike somehow make the team. I think he could really help us out down the road.

Aside from the obvious roster 'battles', I'll say something different.

He may only play a series or two, but I'm watching Landry.

The deflected pick aside, I think he's been pretty average in preseason. Late to the ball on several long yardage plays.

I know, I know. Its only preseason, but if he's playing I want to see him play well.

Hall could do with a 'tight' first / second series as well.

Aside from the obvious roster 'battles'' date=' I'll say something different.

The deflected pick aside, I think he's been pretty average in preseason. Late to the ball on several long yardage plays.

I know, I know. Its only preseason, but if he's playing I want to see him play well.

Hall could do with a 'tight' first / second series as well.[/quote']

They both got owned by Moss too...yeah it's only preseason but that shouldn't happen. I don't care how "good" Moss is.

I'm real interested in Kevin Barnes. He read that interception perfectly against NE and has really stepped it up since getting owned in the Ravens game.

Aside from the obvious roster 'battles'' date=' I'll say something different.

Hall could do with a 'tight' first / second series as well.[/quote']

Agreed, Landry has been just a second late on every play it seems like.

Offensive line and linebackers.

Montgomery, Rinehart and Bridges ahve made the team, but let's see how they can play now. Can they be dependable reserves in case of injuries to the starters? What can Mike Williams and Edwin Williams do?

Next, LBs:

Glenn vs. Henson. Who makes the team? I am not sold on Robert Thomas, but he is the only reserve with any significant experience. Can Wilson play OLB?

HTTR

:helmet:

No way is Mason the best of these four

As we all probably know the fourth preseason game is generally the game where the starters play one series and then the bubble guys get one last audition to try to make the roster. I'm really looking forward to watching this game to see who will win position battles and roster spots. On my watch list.....

1. Colt Brennan/Chase Daniel-In the final matchup between the Cult and the Church, I'm wanting to see if Chase is as good as he looked or if he just had a hot hand for one quarter. Colt is always exciting to watch but obviously he needs to play smart and not turn the ball over.

2. Shaun Suisham/Dave Rayner- With the lack of offence both kickers have not had very many opportunities to kick during the preseason. I think that this has really hurt Rayner's chance at un-seating Suisham:(.

3. Second String Defensive Backs- I am looking forward to seeing if guys like Tryon, Barnes, and Westbrook can continue to make plays like they did last week, against New England. They have all improved since the Baltimore game where they were completely man-handled all game. It will be interesting to see which guys Blache decides to keep.

4. Jeremy Jarmon- He looked pretty good in the first two games and I'm wanting to see more from production from him against Jacksonville. I hope he can have some impact on the D-line during the regular season as well.

5. Marko Mitchell- The offensive stud for the Redskins this preseason. He has been a strong red zone and goal line presence that has been missing from this team for a long time. Look for more good things to come from him.

6. Cartwright/Mason/Alridge/Dorsey- Chances are only one or two of these guys will make the roster. Most will be hoping the Redskins do not once again cut Marcus Mason after carrying the team through the preseason for another year. Cartwright will have to make a statement and show the coaches he doesn't need to be cut. Alridge and Dorsey will need to also have very strong showings to convice the coaches they warrant a roster spot.

Archived