Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Redskins.Com: Is Campbell a Franchise QB

MustangSteve

The search for the franchise quarterback is more like the chase for the Holy Grail than it is a manhunt.

Get that marquee player at football’s most important position and the world waits to be conquered. Greatness lies within the team’s grasp for a generation. Championships can be won, trophies garnered, history written.

Three teams certainly thought about that in April of 2005 when they made their selections in the first round of the draft.

The San Francisco 49ers, the league’s sad sack of the day, held the first choice. They picked Alex Smith, who piloted Utah’s spread offense with aplomb and came out as a junior.

The Green Bay Packers, with the 24th pick, took Aaron Rodgers of Cal. Some thought Rodgers should have been the player the 49ers grabbed and most NFL insiders agreed that Rodgers didn’t so much slide from being the possible overall No. 1 to 24 as find his true level and value.

The Washington Redskins then made a trade to get back into the first round and took Jason Campbell 25th.

Here we are, five years later. Three quarterbacks picked No. 1. Three pleasant young men saddled with the hopes and dreams of coaches, teammates, fans, media. Three widely-divergent paths, three still seeking the Grail with varying degrees of success.

After yet another dreadful performance, Smith seems to have played himself out of any chance of being the opening day starter for the 49ers and will again lose that job to journeyman Shaun Hill. The 49ers employed J.T. O’Sullivan a year ago and only brought Smith back to compete again when he agreed to a paycut. How the mighty have fallen.

Rodgers, parked behind Brett Favre for his first three seasons, performed so well and with such dignity during the Favre Mania of ’08 that the Packers rewarded him with a lucrative contract extension. His future looks secure and so does theirs, at least at quarterback.

Which brings us to Campbell. He has not been replaced by the football equivalent of a ham sandwich. He has not received a contract extension. If the NFL’s labor situation unfolds with no new agreement by spring, Campbell will be a restricted free agent.

The operative word there is “restricted.” Few unrestricted free agents receive contract offers from other teams and fewer still actually move.

Two games into the preseason, and with a heavy playing load likely Friday night against the New England Patriots, Campbell can go the way of Rodgers and begin to make his mark. He could also fall off the map, as Smith surely will, if the results he can generate do not include some touchdowns.

Redskins head coach Jim Zorn continues to pump up Campbell, to praise his decision-making and his general comportment in the pocket. That does not mean he isn’t interested in seeing some real production.

Two games and the first-string offense has produced a field goal.

Campbell is four of 13 passing for 48 yards. Against the Pittsburgh Steelers on Saturday night he was one of seven for 10 yards, missing one open throw over the middle to Santana Moss and throwing away a couple of screens that weren’t really there against the aggressive Steelers.

“I’d like more accuracy,” Zorn allowed at his Sunday morning meeting with reporters after the 17-13 preseason victory against the defending world champions.

Wanting and getting can be different things. Zorn knows that. He sees aspects of Campbell’s approach and demeanor that encourage him, he sees progress from game to game and in practice from week to week.

He will want to see bigger strides against the Patriots. Command of the huddle is not enough.

Throwing the ball away under pressure is not enough. Completions, third-down conversions, extended drives and touchdowns are on Zorn’s to-do list and should be on Campbell’s as well.

Asked if putting up points against the Patriots matters, Zorn replied: “Yeah, it matters.” That had him reflecting on the Steelers’ game.

“To be on the 2-yard line after an excellent drive? We’re looking to finish,” Zorn said, and he didn’t mean by kicking a 20-yard field goal as his team ultimately did.

The Steelers have won two Super Bowls with Ben Roethlisberger, a No. 1 pick in 2004. The Indianapolis Colts and New York Giants are the champions bookended by the Steelers and each sports a Manning (Peyton with the former, Eli with the latter) who was the No. 1 overall pick in the draft.

Smith’s sun is setting in San Francisco. Rodgers’ rises in the Midwest. Here, Redskins’ fans continue to hope for a Beast of the East--the NFC East. Campbell still has time to make that be so. The franchise is waiting for its franchise quarterback.

http://www.redskins.com/gen/articles/Is_Campbell_a_Franchise_QB__The_Question_Lingers____47750.jsp

If you even have to ask this question 5 seasons into someones career, you probably already have your answer. If he was a franchise QB, we would have known by now. He wouldnt be making the same mistakes 5 years into his career. He is what he is, an average QB. If youre looking for him to win games, its not going to happen.

The bar keeps getting higher for Jason Campbell. Last week, all I heard was the game against the Steelers would be the true test of how far JC has come. Zorn pulls him before the 2nd quarter and plays Collins, whom he said would not see any action. Looks as if Zorn yanked JC to protect him from the harsh critcsisms from his less than professional performance.

Now the talk is that the game against the Patriots will be the true test of JC's abilities. Yeah, right.

If you even have to ask this question 5 seasons into someones career, you probably already have your answer. If he was a franchise QB, we would have known by now. He wouldnt be making the same mistakes 5 years into his career. He is what he is, an average QB. If youre looking for him to win games, its not going to happen.
Thank you for the final answer! Joe Flacco took his team to the AFC Championship game in his rookie season, and he doesn't have half the talent at the WR and RB position as Campbell does.

That proves that all we need is a good QB to lead our team and we can win this division with the talent we have. Flacco sure isn't a superstar, but he is a good QB and thats all it takes to win with a good team and good defense around you.

Todd Collins is a good QB and has already taken this team to the playoffs with half the talent at WR. We don't need a superstar to win, just a good QB to lead our team, and again, Todd is a good QB who gives us a much better chance to win then Jason.

The bar keeps getting higher for Jason Campbell. Last week, all I heard was the game against the Steelers would be the true test of how far JC has come. Zorn pulls him before the 2nd quarter and plays Collins, whom he said would not see any action. Looks as if Zorn yanked JC to protect him from the harsh critcsisms from his less than professional performance.

Now the talk is that the game against the Patriots will be the true test of JC's abilities. Yeah, right.

This reminds me, wasn't Colt supposed to come in after JC against the Steelers?

Maybe Zorn had enough of Campbell and is starting to think about who to bench him for.

Seems to me like Farve continued to throw a lot of picks at times. The 5 years is not the issue. For several of those years he was on the bench, then he had no line or receivers or consistent scheme. These are legit reasons for average play from even a superstar.

He has improved his fumbles, decision making, & ints. His long ball has arc now & is not a bullet. He has improved. His short balls are still too high at times. But, I still think he can be pretty good.

It does not take a superstar to win the SB. He should be just fine this year if the line play is solid and a receiver steps forward besides Moss. This assumes decent playcalling and a reasonable running game.

After hearing him say he was essentially satisfied with his performance last night on Comcast Post game this answer is clearly no IMO. His logic was basically well I tried to throw the ball long so I think I did fine. He took no responsibility for playing like garbage.

We may still be able to win with him but not because of him.

The worst thing about us is mediocrity. We're not bad enough to get a franchise QB in the draft like a Mark Sanchez or Sam Bradford. We really are just a great QB away from being one of the best teams in the league.

It hurts me to say it, but JC isn't the guy. He's shown inaccuracy since day 1, but he's always had excuses made for him. Different offenses, short receivers, bad OLine, yada, yada, yada.......He's the problem, and definitely not the answer. 8-8 season coming up. Another waste of a great defense. So depressed............

:point2sky

Thank you for the final answer! Joe Flacco took his team to the AFC Championship game in his rookie season, and he doesn't have half the talent at the WR and RB position as Campbell does.

That proves that all we need is a good QB to lead our team and we can win this division with the talent we have. Flacco sure isn't a superstar, but he is a good QB and thats all it takes to win with a good team and good defense around you.

Todd Collins is a good QB and has already taken this team to the playoffs with half the talent at WR. We don't need a superstar to win, just a good QB to lead our team, and again, Todd is a good QB who gives us a much better chance to win then Jason.

The highlighted portion of this post renders the rest of it worthless

Anyway, I used to be high on Campbell, I supported him to start for 2009, but now, eh. I guess that I still want him to start just like I always bet to see the flop, but I don't have my hopes up.

Very close to joining the Church, but that's just to have a mancrush because apparently it's fun to do.

I think Collins played so Zorn could get some time with him and the 1st team offense so he knows what he has when the time comes to bench Campbell.

I am really hoping that the Danny is giving Zorn an earful about Campbell. Dude's leash just got shorter last night and I think it's starting to set in with Zorn as well. I believe Campbell will be the starter on opening day but if he is sucking like he probably will, Collins will enter the 2nd half as the starter.

The answer is NO. An emphatic NO!

Jason was overhyped from day one. We gave 2 draft round choices to draft his pathetic excuse for an NFL Franchise QB. He hasn't delivered todate, and don't hold your breath he ever will.

In the NFL, good QBs take the opportunities provided to them, and showcase what they can do for their respective teams.

Just because you were drafted high doesn't necessarily make you a good QB either. Jason was IMHO a second rounder, we jumped up to get him.

Gibbs got him because he was familiar with our offense. Appartently, they used the same one in Auburn. Most 1st round QBs play their rookie season. We had to go out and pay tons of money to yet another loser, Marc Boonell -- Why? Because JC is just TOO SLOW!

2 preseason games, and the first time he's ever had the same staff in b2b seasons,

I have NEVER understood why people keep saying this.

We definitely had Gibbs/Saunders for the 2006 AND 2007 seasons.

I realize he didn't start much of the 06 season but he was there in camp and I'm assuming they didn't just not hand him the playbook.

Archived