Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Premier League 09/10 thread

desioreo87

What Are Al and Orakpo Thinking After Last Night?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. What Are Al and Orakpo Thinking After Last Night?

• "****."
    • "At least I am getting paid."
    • "We look like favorites to win the division"

Thread for all the soccer enthusiasts. Just a place to discuss the weekly games and events during the premier league season.

Saturday, August 15

Chelsea vs. Hull City - 7.45a

Portsmouth vs. Fulham - 10a

Bolton vs. Sunderland - 10a

Wolverhampton vs. West Ham United - 10a

Blackburn vs. Manchester City - 10a

Stoke City vs. Burnley - 10a

Aston Villa vs. Wigan Athletic - 10a

Everton vs. Arsenal - 12.30p

Sunday, August 16

Manchester United vs. Birmingham City - 8.30a

Tottenham vs. Liverpool FC - 11a

(predictions in bold)

Here are the opening weekend fixtures. Some very interesting matchups in the first weekend. I am definitely getting up early to watch the Chelsea match to see if our young star, Jozy Altidore, has made the first team for this game. Everton - Arsenal will be a very interesting contest as well. Arsenal have lost adebayor and have not really made a major signing to cover for him. Manchester City will also be an interesting team to watch this weekend as they have spent 100 million pounds (~165m USD) on players, and that is not including wages. It will be interesting if they can get their players to gel in the opening months of the season. If they do, they will be a scary proposition for any team. Liverpool travels away to Tottenham, (GO REDS!), on opening weekend and this, i believe, will be a tough tough match for them just because Tottentham is a mystery. Some games they look like world-beaters and others they look like relegation fodder. Nevertheless, this will be a very tough test for Liverpool although I expect them to win.

Should be a very interesting season.

• 2 weeks later...
I think i read somewhere that Jozy had an assist in the game. Anyone confirm?

Jozy came on as a sub. After 28 seconds and his first touch, he assisted the winning goal. He also had a few half-chances himself. All-in-all he looked good. From what i saw, he definitely has a shot at some top level football. Maybe even teams competing in Europe.

Arsenal!!! 3 games 12 for, 2 against. Nice start.

lets no get too hasty. Starting strong has never been hard for arsenal. Its sustaining it over a season. THey will definitely be there or thereabouts but i dont know if their squad is deep enough to compete over the long haul, across four comps.

• 2 months later...

Previously had no interest in EPL football but with the recent acquisition of FIFA 10 I've been hooked on Arsenal. Fabregas, Van Persie, Arshavin!

Will try to watch their game today to study how the "big boys" play their game. Then see if I can emulate that kind of style in game. Should be a blast

Wow I had no clue we had a PL thread on here! Arsenal look a class apart when they pass like that but all too often they try to walk the ball into the net against the likes of Chelsea and Utd and it just doesnt work.

I am a Utd supporter and just hoping we don't get ****ted tomorrow. Should be an excellent match!

Arsenal 3-0. Study of real life Arsenal team is complete.

I observe they play D a lot better than my FIFA club. Need to work on that, often guys run right through my D on breakaway goals. **** that ****

Well, im sure they will be glad to hear about their D. Their D is actually quite suspect against the top teams. They are far too open and against top sides with quality, they let in way too many goals.

But yea today is a good example of how arsenal play when things are working. Their style is rooted in the "pass-and-move" philosophy. FC Barcelona are the best at this but Arsenal on their game are damn good at it to. Its predicated on one touch passing which moves the ball extremely quickly which doesn't allow the opposition enough time to react or reorganize. So if you really wanna play like Arsenal, I suggest you try to move the ball around the pitch quickly, with short, measured passes.

Wow I had no clue we had a PL thread on here! Arsenal look a class apart when they pass like that but all too often they try to walk the ball into the net against the likes of Chelsea and Utd and it just doesnt work.

I am a Utd supporter and just hoping we don't get ****ted tomorrow. Should be an excellent match!

Yea, should be interesting. I'm a pool fan and therefore am hoping for a 6-6 draw. If the game is at Chelsea than Chelsea are favorites. It will be very interesting to see who united put in midfield against Chelsea's incredibly strong midfield of Essien (Best Defensive midfielder in the world, by the largest margin possible), Lampard, and Ballack/Deco. If they try to use a Carrick/Scholes partnership like they did against LFC, they will get rocked. I fully expect a midfield trio of Fletcher ( if healthy), anderson, and Carrick/SCholes.

Yea, should be interesting. I'm a pool fan and therefore am hoping for a 6-6 draw. If the game is at Chelsea than Chelsea are favorites. It will be very interesting to see who united put in midfield against Chelsea's incredibly strong midfield of Essien (Best Defensive midfielder in the world, by the largest margin possible), Lampard, and Ballack/Deco. If they try to use a Carrick/Scholes partnership like they did against LFC, they will get rocked. I fully expect a midfield trio of Fletcher ( if healthy), anderson, and Carrick/SCholes.

It's funny you mention Essien, I think he is the best midfielder in the world or at least the one I'd want in my team (Fabregas a close second and then Gourcuff third). The interesting thing is that he isnt really a defensive midfielder in the role of a Mascherano or Toure, he really can play a CM role very very well (and just about any other position on the field). If we play a 4-4-1-1 we will get slaughtered. I expect a 4-4-3 or god forbid a 4-5-1 with Rooney up top alone.

Well, im sure they will be glad to hear about their D. Their D is actually quite suspect against the top teams. They are far too open and against top sides with quality, they let in way too many goals.

But yea today is a good example of how arsenal play when things are working. Their style is rooted in the "pass-and-move" philosophy. FC Barcelona are the best at this but Arsenal on their game are damn good at it to. Its predicated on one touch passing which moves the ball extremely quickly which doesn't allow the opposition enough time to react or reorganize. So if you really wanna play like Arsenal, I suggest you try to move the ball around the pitch quickly, with short, measured passes.

Lol I keep losing to major programs such as Aston Villa , Chelsea, and Manchester United. Only have one win against Chelsea :hysterical:

Lol I keep losing to major programs such as Aston Villa , Chelsea, and Manchester United. Only have one win against Chelsea :hysterical:

Havent purchased Fifa 10 yet but on 09 I used to roll with Aston Villa or Lyon. I loved the way AV played...the speed on the flanks coupled with Agbonlahor and Carew was lethal.

Archived