Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFLN: Top 10 Records That Will Never Be Broken...

Commander Adama

What about most points in a quarter of a Super Bowl?

that there is the record least liekly to be broken cause nobody is ever going to score 35 points in one quarter. i still have a hard time believing that the skins did that. just amazing because either you get the ball 5 different times or you have to get your defense to score whenever they touch the football.

that there is the record least liekly to be broken cause nobody is ever going to score 35 points in one quarter. i still have a hard time believing that the skins did that. just amazing because either you get the ball 5 different times or you have to get your defense to score whenever they touch the football.

It was a great achievement, but let's be real here. It's not impossible.

It was a great achievement, but let's be real here. It's not impossible.

It's hard to even do that on Madden. ;)

Not impossible, no, but I don't think it's even very likely. I can count of 3 superbowls off the top of my head in which the winner scored even more than 35 points total since 1987.

An interesting gauge would be to see how many teams have scored 35 points in one quarter in ANY game since that superbowl.

I just did some research to see what that stat is and it was easier to find than I thought it'd be.

Most Points, One Quarter

41 Green Bay vs. Detroit, Oct. 7, 1945 (second quarter)

Los Angeles vs. Detroit, Oct. 29, 1950 (third quarter)

37 Los Angeles vs. Green Bay, Sept. 21, 1980 (second quarter)

35 Chi. Cardinals vs. Boston, Oct. 24, 1948 (third quarter)

Green Bay vs. Cleveland, Nov. 12, 1967 (first quarter)

Green Bay vs. Tampa Bay, Oct. 2, 1983 (second quarter)

So no team has scored 35 points in a quarter since our superbowl with the Broncos assuming no team has done it in the playoffs.

I think that 7/10 of those could be broken. I think "unbreakable" records are unbreakable because of fundamental shifts in the game. Grahams 10 year streak won't be beaten because of the parity of the league. Nobody will coach as long as Landry anymore because coaches have a shorter shelf life as the new generation of young players get more power. Hutson's record will stand because, again, much more parity.

Everything else I think will be broken, eventually. May not be broken in the next 20 years, but they'll be broken.

It's like in baseball, Cy Young's wins mark won't be broken because pitchers get maybe 30 starts a year now and are on pitch counts. But as long as guys go to the plate day in and day out, somebody will have a shot to break Joe D's hit streak record.

Look out Bucs, Detroit has a chance to break that record. I think they are at 24.

Actually, think they're only at 17. 0-16 last year, and lost their last game in 2007.

But since they started 2007 at 6-2, they have gone a lovely 1-23.

Yes, he is the only player to lead the league in 3 different positions.

Not true; though Baugh was the first to do it, leading the league in passing, punting and defensive interceptions in 1943. 'Bullet' Bill Dudley led the league in rushing, punt returns, and interceptions (and lateral passing, a stat that is no longer kept) in 1946 for the Steelers. Steve Van Buren led the league in three categories in 1945 (rushing, scoring, and kickoff returns), but not three different positions.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/decades/1940s/triple_crown.aspx

Not true; though Baugh was the first to do it, leading the league in passing, punting and defensive interceptions in 1943. 'Bullet' Bill Dudley led the league in rushing, punt returns, and interceptions (and lateral passing, a stat that is no longer kept) in 1946 for the Steelers. Steve Van Buren led the league in three categories in 1945 (rushing, scoring, and kickoff returns), but not three different positions.

http://www.profootballhof.com/history/decades/1940s/triple_crown.aspx

I had said 3 different positions, not stats. He led the league in multiple stats, but was exclusive with leading the league in positions.

yeah i was just thinking that none of the coaching ones will because organizations arent loyal to a coach to allow an extended rebuilding time.

If Gibbs stuck around and kept the Redskins organization where it should have been we might be talking different right now.(talking about the first time he left obviously)

The steelers are the one team that is still very loyal to their coaches. They've had around 3 coaches in 20 years.

I can tell you that the redskins will not be breaking the coaching record any time soon. :)

Archived