Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WTOP: 19yr old killed by his own pit bulls

Stricknn

http://www.defendingdog.com/id22.html

From a Pro Pit Bull website, love #1, #2, #3, #4. Think about it, how many other breeds of dogs have web sites that have the Ten Commandments of owning a (__blank__) type of dog.

BTW, I am not knocking this website, I think they have the right idea, with that being said, how many Pit owners are willing to live by these commandments.

The 10 Commandments of Pit Bull Ownership

1. Thou shalt NEVER trust thy Pit Bull not to fight.

2. Thou shalt contain thy Pit Bull securely when not supervised by an adult.

3. Thou shalt NEVER leave thy adult Pit Bull alone and unsupervised with another dog.

4. Thou SHALT attend obedience classes most faithfully with thy Pit Bull.

5. Thou SHALT keep thy Pit Bull socialized with ALL KINDS of people.

6. Thy Pit Bull wilt NEVER be allowed off leash in a public place.

7. Thy Pit Bull wilt NEVER be allowed to roam free in thy neighborhood, EVER!

8. Thou SHALT take thy well-trained Pit Bull out in public and show him/her off — on leash for good breed PR.

9. Thy Pit Bull shalt go forth into the world as an ambassador of the pit bull breed.

10. THOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY WRONG DONE BY THE DOGS!

http://www.defendingdog.com/id22.html

From a Pro Pit Bull website, love #1, #2, #3, #4. Think about it, how many other breeds of dogs have web sites that have the Ten Commandments of owning a (__blank__) type of dog.

The 10 Commandments of Pit Bull Ownership

1. Thou shalt NEVER trust thy Pit Bull not to fight.

2. Thou shalt contain thy Pit Bull securely when not supervised by an adult.

3. Thou shalt NEVER leave thy adult Pit Bull alone and unsupervised with another dog.

4. Thou SHALT attend obedience classes most faithfully with thy Pit Bull.

5. Thou SHALT keep thy Pit Bull socialized with ALL KINDS of people.

6. Thy Pit Bull wilt NEVER be allowed off leash in a public place.

7. Thy Pit Bull wilt NEVER be allowed to roam free in thy neighborhood, EVER!

8. Thou SHALT take thy well-trained Pit Bull out in public and show him/her off — on leash for good breed PR.

9. Thy Pit Bull shalt go forth into the world as an ambassador of the pit bull breed.

10. THOU ARE RESPONSIBLE FOR ANY WRONG DONE BY THE DOGS!

Read up on any of the "bully" breed type dogs (German's Rotties, Doberman's etc.) and you will find similar type things. When I was looking for my 1st dog I wanted a rottie. Joined a message board and was basically blasted with information on how I wasn't trained enough to own a Rottie.

They did me a favor. I will one day get one but not as my first dog. I was trained enough as an owner to have a dog of that size.

Also pay attention to rule #10 :)

Never said it was okay and I think it is horrible. I have advocated licenses, registration, and mandatory training. I don’t think 15 deaths a year, out of MILLIONS of pit bulls require the government to destroy an entire breed of dog.

Also, the quote by GoSkins was bunk. Complete BS. Pits, by themselves, are not responsible for 60% of all attacks. The highest statistic I found from a reputable source was 30% (with another 12% accounted for by Pit mixes). That's still high, but good grief...making up stuff to get a point across is just crazy.

Also, I'd like to post this little article: http://www.la-spca.org/dedication/talk/t_judge.htm

Last week, I received a phone call from someone wanting to know the truth behind pit bull statistics. And, on June 12, in a letter to the editor, a reader wrote about his fear of pit bulls. He said, "These dogs have killed more than 100 individuals in the past five years. If an automobile had a defect that killed 100 people, there would be a public outcry."

After you start looking a little deeper, the numbers tell a different tale. According to "Fatal Dog Attacks, the Stories Behind the Statistics," by Karen Delise there were 431 deaths because of dog attacks in the years from 1965 to 2001. Children 12 younger were the victims in 79 percent of the fatal attacks.

In 37 years, 342 children were killed by dogs, an average of about nine children a year. Shockingly, approximately three children are killed each day, or 1,100 per year, by their parents. Delise notes that "A child in the United States is over 100 times more likely to be killed by his or her parent or caretaker than by a dog."

Even more surprising is that approximately 50 infants die each year from broken baby cribs, and 250 newborns die at the hands of their parents or guardians. In comparison, two infants, on average, die a year from dog attacks.

Pit bull and pit mixes account for 21 percent of all human fatalities, while mixed breed dogs account for 16 percent and other nonspecified breeds, 15 percent. Delise's study demonstrates that the breed of dog should not be the sole factor by which an attack is judged. Other factors include inherited and learned behaviors, genetics, breeding, temperament, surgical sterilization, environmental stresses, owner responsibility, victim behavior, size and age, timing, and the physical condition and the size of dog.

Of the 28 dogs responsible for a fatal attack between 2000 and 2001, 26 were males and two were females. Of the 26 males, 21 were sexually intact; the reproductive status of the remaining five male dogs could not be determined. The male dog that killed the 12-year-old boy in San Francisco on June 3 was protecting his female dog in heat.

An owner's understanding of dogs, supervision of dogs and children, sterilization and chaining as a primary means of confinement all can play roles in attacks. Whether dogs were obtained for protection, guarding, fighting, are newly acquired or not properly introduced to newborns are among other issues.

In the end, many factors contribute to dog attacks. A popular slogan seems to capture the sentiment perfectly, "Judge the Deed Not the Breed."

Moral of the story: Pits need to be neutered and owned by responsible owners, but are a perfectly viable breed.

Dude a fact is a fact, I don't care about the percentages, it happens, Pit Bulls are responsible for more fatal attacks than any other breed(period). To many idiots own them, and they should be killed off until only people like LJS and Adam can own them. Somebody posted a fact the other day, 23 % of the dogs in pounds are Pits, I wonder why...

It's because people don't actually know what a pit bull is. They are mislabeled, increasing the number of "pit bulls", and increasing the statistics of dog bites.

Find the Pitbull

I guess we should get rid of all these breeds that also look like "pit bulls".

Also, the quote by GoSkins was bunk. Complete BS. Pits, by themselves, are not responsible for 60% of all attacks. The highest statistic I found from a reputable source was 30% (with another 12% accounted for by Pit mixes). That's still high, but good grief...making up stuff to get a point across is just crazy.

Also, I'd like to post this little article: http://www.la-spca.org/dedication/talk/t_judge.htm

Last week, I received a phone call from someone wanting to know the truth behind pit bull statistics. And, on June 12, in a letter to the editor, a reader wrote about his fear of pit bulls. He said, "These dogs have killed more than 100 individuals in the past five years. If an automobile had a defect that killed 100 people, there would be a public outcry."

After you start looking a little deeper, the numbers tell a different tale. According to "Fatal Dog Attacks, the Stories Behind the Statistics," by Karen Delise there were 431 deaths because of dog attacks in the years from 1965 to 2001. Children 12 younger were the victims in 79 percent of the fatal attacks.

In 37 years, 342 children were killed by dogs, an average of about nine children a year. Shockingly, approximately three children are killed each day, or 1,100 per year, by their parents. Delise notes that "A child in the United States is over 100 times more likely to be killed by his or her parent or caretaker than by a dog."

Even more surprising is that approximately 50 infants die each year from broken baby cribs, and 250 newborns die at the hands of their parents or guardians. In comparison, two infants, on average, die a year from dog attacks.

Pit bull and pit mixes account for 21 percent of all human fatalities, while mixed breed dogs account for 16 percent and other nonspecified breeds, 15 percent. Delise's study demonstrates that the breed of dog should not be the sole factor by which an attack is judged. Other factors include inherited and learned behaviors, genetics, breeding, temperament, surgical sterilization, environmental stresses, owner responsibility, victim behavior, size and age, timing, and the physical condition and the size of dog.

Of the 28 dogs responsible for a fatal attack between 2000 and 2001, 26 were males and two were females. Of the 26 males, 21 were sexually intact; the reproductive status of the remaining five male dogs could not be determined. The male dog that killed the 12-year-old boy in San Francisco on June 3 was protecting his female dog in heat.

An owner's understanding of dogs, supervision of dogs and children, sterilization and chaining as a primary means of confinement all can play roles in attacks. Whether dogs were obtained for protection, guarding, fighting, are newly acquired or not properly introduced to newborns are among other issues.

In the end, many factors contribute to dog attacks. A popular slogan seems to capture the sentiment perfectly, "Judge the Deed Not the Breed."

Moral of the story: Pits need to be neutered and owned by responsible owners, but are a perfectly viable breed.

Very good post.

Here are some Myths vs. Facts about PitBulls from the American Humane Association.

Funny how this did not get a thread from some on this board, then again they were not pit bulls so I guess not news nor a problem.

All I know is the campaign for ban small mix breed dogs needs to start.

An incident from THIS weekend -

Dogs in fatal attack rounded up, euthanized

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/19/georgia.dog.attack/index.html

A pack of 11 mix-breed dogs all UNDER 40 pounds in weight attacked and killed two elderly people in rural Georgia.

Damn small mixed-breeds and there natural instinct to kills in packs!

Funny how this did not get a thread from some on this board, then again they were not pit bulls so I guess not news nor a problem.

All I know is the campaign for small mix breed dogs needs to start.

An incident from THIS weekend -

Dogs in fatal attack rounded up, euthanized

http://www.cnn.com/2009/US/08/19/georgia.dog.attack/index.html

A pack of 11 mix-breed dogs all UNDER 40 pounds in weight attacked and killed two elderly people in rural Georgia.

Damn small mixed-breeds and there natural instinct to kills in packs!

That's horrible. It's also a pack of dogs.

"As few as two or three dogs, whether urban, suburban or rural, can behave like a pack, Beaver said. And when pack mentality takes over, "they do insane things that they would not do" under normal circumstances, she said."

The 60 percent is absolutely correct, it comes from a unbiased group that tracks dog bite across the country. Your link is from a blog in a LASpca website. I don't feel like searching this thread but it is linked several times.

http://www.dogsbite.org/bite-statistics.htm

In the 3-year period of 2006 to 2008, pit bull type dogs killed 52 Americans and accounted for 59% of all fatal attacks. Combined, pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 73% of these deaths.

2008 statistics

23 U.S. fatal dog attacks occurred in 2008. Pit bull type dogs were responsible for 65% (15). Pit bulls make up approximately 2-9% of the U.S. dog population.2

In 2008, only one U.S. citizen over the age of 3 was killed by a breed other than a pit bull. 74-year old Lorraine May was fatally mauled by her two dogs: an Australian shepherd-mix and a golden retriever-mix.

70% of the attacks occurred to children (11 years and under) and 30% occurred to adults (21 years and older). Of the children, half (8) occurred to ages 1 and younger.

39% of fatal attacks in 2008 involved multiple dogs; 9% involved chained dogs.

78% of the attacks occurred on owner property and 22% off owner property. All off property attacks (5) that resulted in death were attributed to pit bulls.

61% of the victims were male; 39% of the victims were female. Of the male victims, over half (8) were 3 years and younger.

In at least three fatal attacks, a grandmother was watching a child aged 2 and younger. Two of these attacks occurred in Las Vegas; both involved pet pit bulls

2008-fatality-chart.gif

In 2008, one fatality involved dogs from two different breeds, thus producing a "death credit" total of 23, rather than 24. Six dog breeds each contributed to one death and included: doberman, jack russell terrier, australian shepherd-mix, golden retriever-mix, sheepdog-mix and labrador.

Details of each attack

2008 victims

Each victim circumstance is recorded below. Items listed as "unknown" are areas of incidences not found in news reports. If you have further information regarding these areas, please contact dogsbite.org.

Andrew Stein

8-months old | Brooklyn, NY

Andrew Stein, 8 months old, had been playing on the floor when the family's Doberman pinscher bit his head and crushed his skull. At the time, the grandmother was in the kitchen. She rushed into the living room upon hearing the child scream. She frantically alerted the neighbor, who helped pull the dog off the child. Andrew's parents were not present at the time of the attack. The dog, Macabee, was a seven-year old, neutered male and had been living with the family since he was a puppy. (source citations) Date of death: January 4, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Doberman pinscher Relationship to dog: Family

Sex of dog: Male Owner of dog: Parents

Spay/Neuter: Yes Multiple dogs: No

On/Off property: On Criminal charges: Unknown

Justin Mozer

6-weeks old | Lexington, KY

Justin Mozer, 6-weeks old, was sleeping in a bedroom when the family's Jack Russell Terrier attacked him. According to the uncle, Jeff Mozer, the baby was lying on a king-size bed -- not in a crib. Authorities say the infant died of suffocation and blood loss in the attack. The mother was in another room, bathing a child when the tragedy occurred. The Fayette County Coroner's office ruled the death as accidental. The Jack Russell and the other family dog, a pit bull, were removed from the home after the attack. (source citations) Date of death: January 17, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Jack Russell terrier Relationship to dog: Family

Sex of dog: Female Owner of dog: Parents

Spay/Neuter: Unknown Multiple dogs: No

Kelli Chapman

24-years old | Longville, LA

Kelli Chapman, 24-years old, was killed by two pit bulls while sleeping in her home. She and her husband had raised the dogs since they were pups -- a four-year old male and one-year old female. Relatives of the woman believe she may have had a seizure while sleeping and the dogs reacted to it by killing her. It's unknown if she had a seizure. What is known is that Kelli died of bite trauma and blood loss. Authorities say she had injuries to her forearms as well, indicating possible defensive wounds. There was damage to furniture and other items in the bedroom too. (source citations) Date of death: January 20, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bulls (2) Relationship to dog: Family

Sex of dog: Mixed Owner of dog: Victim

Spay/Neuter: Unknown Multiple dogs: Yes

Abraham Jonathan Tackett

2-years old | Fort Yukon, AK

Abraham Tackett, 2-years old, was killed after he wandered into a neighbor's yard and was attacked by a chained dog. There were a number of chained dogs in the neighbor's yard that had recently been fed and were still eating. The child approached a 3-year-old husky mixed breed and the dog attacked, apparently protecting its food. This is the second fatal attack in the last dozen years in Fort Yukon (145 miles from Fairbanks). Between 1991-2002, Alaska led the nation in dog bite injuries and death. (source citations) Date of death: April 28, 2008 Chained: Yes

Breed of dog: Husky-mix Relationship to dog: Non-family

Sex of dog: Unknown Owner of dog: Neighbor

On/Off property: On Criminal charges: No

Julian Slack

3-years old | Camp Lejeune, NC

Julian Slack, was at home with a babysitter when he was severely mauled by a pit bull. The little boy bled to death on route to the hospital after being bitten multiple times on the head and neck. According to base officials, a civilian friend of the family had brought the dog over to the house. Several years ago, at the same military base, Amy Gaston's daughter was attacked by a rottweiler after it got out of its fenced yard. Gaston subsequently filed a $5 million lawsuit against the U.S. Marine Corps. The current status of this lawsuit is unknown. Nearly one year after the fatal attack of little Julian, Camp Lejeune enacted a new animal control policy that bans pit bulls, rottweilers, wolf breeds and their mixes. (Please see: related blog post) (source citations) Date of death: May 14, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bull Relationship to dog: Non-family

Sex of dog: Unknown Owner of dog: Guest

On/Off property: Off Criminal charges: No

Tanner Joshua Monk

7-years old | Breckenridge, TX

Tanner Joshua Monk, 7-years old, was found alone about 150 yards from his house and 50 to 75 yards from his neighbor's house where he had been playing with some friends. A passing driver saw Tanner lying next to the road with two pit bulls nearby. When she left her car, the dogs became aggressive and she called 911. Deputies arrived and shot the two dogs. The two pit bulls, along with two others seized at the scene, belonged to Tanner's neighbors. Both neighbors are being charged with a felony under Lillian's Law. (source citations) Date of death: May 18, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bulls (4) Relationship to dog: Non-family

Sex of dog: Unknown Owner of dog: Neighbor

On/Off property: Off Criminal charges: Yes

Pablo Lopez (Hernandez)

5-years old | Weslaco, TX

Pablo Lopez, 5-years old, was at home when the family pit bull named Greco flew into a rage at a dog passing by the home. When Pablo stepped out the back door, Greco seized the boy by his torso and dragged him to the ground. In a matter of seconds, the dog locked its jaws around the boy's neck, killing him. It is reported that the dog had a history of chaining but was unchained at the time of the attack. Because the attack happened on-property and authorities did not find evidence of "neglect," no charges were brought. (source citations) Date of death: June 18, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bull Relationship to dog: Family

Sex of dog: Male Owner of dog: Uncle

Lorraine May

74-years old | Titusville, FL

Lorraine May, 74-years old, was killed by her two dogs. She suffered a dislocated shoulder and many bites in the attack. Police believe May was breaking up a fight between the dogs. The animals, which she had owned since puppies, had a history of fighting with each other, and were reportedly mother-and-son. One was a female golden-retriever mix and the other was a male Australian-shepherd mix. A neighbor described May as a quiet lady who took good care of her pets. "She loved her dogs from ear to ear. You could tell the dogs brought her a lot of joy." (source citations) Date of death: June 28, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Golden retriever-mix and

Australian shepherd-mix Relationship to dog: Family

Sex of dog: Mixed Owner of dog: Victim

Tony Evans Jr.

3-years old | Jackson, MS

Tony Evans Jr., 3-years old, was killed by a neighbor's pit bull. The boy had been playing with other children in front of his house when he wandered into the neighbor's carport where a pit bull was chained. No one heard the attack or saw the boy being dragged into the doghouse. After being alerted that Tony was missing, the dog owner, Shannon Reason, found the boy's lifeless body next to his male pit bull named Blue Eyes. The attack happened on the dog owner's property and the dog was constrained. No charges where filed against Reason. (source citations) Date of death: July 22, 2008 Chained: Yes

Sex of dog: Male Owner of dog: Neighbor

Addison Sonney

1-years old | Millcreek, PA

Addison Sonney, 1-years old, was attacked and killed by her family's English sheepdog mix at the family's home. Her mother, Kari Sonney, tried to stop the attack and suffered injuries as well. The toddler was airlifted to the Children's Hospital of Pittsburg where she later died from wounds to her head, neck and torso. After the attack, the dog escaped the home. Police followed the dog into a nearby neighborhood with their guns drawn and killed it. The death was ruled as accidental. (source citations) Date of death: July 25, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Old English sheepdog-mix Relationship to dog: Family

Sex of dog: Unknown Owner of dog: Parents

Zane Alen Earles

2-months old | Tulsa, OK

Zane Alen Earles, 2-months old, was killed by the family's Laborador puppy. At the time of the attack, the baby's mother, 17, and grandmother were sleeping in their bedrooms on one side of the house and the baby was in a baby swing in the livingroom. The father, 18, and grandfather had left the baby swinging prior to their departure that morning. The infant was declared dead upon arrival of the police. Details were not released due to an ongoing investigation. The Lab puppy was euthanized at the request of Tulsa police. (source citations) Date of death: July 28, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Labrador (6-weeks old) Relationship to dog: Family

On/Off property: On Criminal charges: Yes

Robert Howard

35 years old (est.) | Detroit, MI

Robert Howard, estimated to be 35-years old, was killed by a pit bull that was attacking a woman's dogs. Police said a woman came out of her home when she saw a pit bull attacking her two chained dogs. When she tried to stop the attack, the pit bull went after her. She grabbed a shovel and beat the dog. Robert Howard came out of his house to help. The pit bull, which was reportedly a loose or stray fighting dog, tore into Howard's calf. His friend, Isaiah Brown, said, "[The dog] just snatched and pulled all the arteries out. He was lying on the steps, and when I checked his vital signs he was already dead then." Police said the dog bit a main artery in Howard's leg. (source citations) Date of death: August 14, 2008 Chained: No

Sex of dog: Unknown Owner of dog: Stray

On/Off property: Off Criminal charges: Unknown

Isis Krieger

6-years old | Anchorage, AK

Isis Krieger, 6-years old, was violently attacked by the family pit bull on August 12th. At the time of the incident, she had been playing with the dog named Dozer. The babysitter, who had been watching Isis and her younger sister, tried to stop the attack and was also injured. In the midst of the attack, two neighbors heard the babysitter screaming and intervened. Troy Danforth shot the attacking dog and Specialist 4th Class Kyle Mayeaux of the U.S. Army Alaska tried to stop the bleeding until emergency responders could arrive.

Isis was taken to Alaska Native Medical Center and underwent immediate surgery. Simultaneously, her father, a soldier in Iraq, was flown home on emergency leave. Isis suffered a broken neck in the attack and was declared legally dead on August 14th. The family kept her on life support systems until her father could arrive and see her one last time. Upon his return, she was taken off the machines and died. The complete story was not released to the press until August 18th, a day when many family and non-family members mourned. (source citations) Date of death: August 14, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bull Relationship to dog: Family

Sex of dog: Male Owner of dog: Parents

Henry Piotrowski

90-years old | Staten Island, NY

Henry Piotrowsky, 90-years old, was brutally attacked by his neighbor's two pit bulls as he stood in his own backyard. The World War II veteran initially suffered extensive injury to his face, neck arms and right leg; his left leg was amputated. Henry remained in the intensive care unit at Richmond University Medical Center for 47 days. On August 6th, it was reported that his eyes rarely opened, he needed a tracheotomy tube to breathe and a feeding tube for nourishment. On August 17th, it was reported that he died.

Prior to his death, the owner of the pit bulls, James McNair, was charged with second-degree assault, a felony punishable by up to seven years in prison if convicted at trial. Additionally, Henry's family filed a notice of claim against the City of New York seeking $7 million in damages. Michael Gervasi of the West Brighton law firm of Russo, Scamardella & D'Amato, filed the paperwork, alleging the city "failed to take appropriate and adequate measures to control the vicious dogs," despite numerous complaints. (source citations) Date of death: August 18, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bulls (2) Relationship to dog: Non-family

Sex of dog: Male Owner of dog: Neighbor

Luna McDaniel

83-years old | Ville Platte, LA

Luna McDaniel, 83-years old, was severely injured after being attacked by three pit bulls while taking a morning walk. The dogs broke out of a shed to attack her. When police arrived, they shot one of the dogs and took the other two into custody. The owner of the dogs, Theo Doucet, told reporters that Luna must have "walked into his yard looking for empty cans" whereby prompting the violent attack. Luna was attacked on the street -- not on Doucet's property. Doucet was subsequently charged with negligent homicide.

Luna was taken to the I.C.U at Opelousas General Hospital in serious condition. Both of her ears were injured in the attack; her leg was amputated just below the knee and one arm was severely injured as well. Family members reported that she faced about 20 surgeries. It was also reported that Luna did not lose consciousness during the attack. By August 29th, Luna's condition had worsened as she fell into pneumonia and fever. Luna died September 4th. (source citations) Date of death: September 4, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bulls (3) Relationship to dog: Non-family

Sex of dog: Mixed Owner of dog: Neighbor

Alexis Hennessy

6-days old | Hopatcong, NJ

Alexis Hennessy, 6-days old, was bitten by the family dog while she lay in her crib. The 3-year old husky dog named Shadow bit the baby on the head and inflicted the mortal wound. The infant was rushed to Morristown Memorial Hospital, where she died. Hopatcong Police Chief John Swanson said the baby's mother "left the room momentarily and came back in and discovered it (the bite) either ongoing or just done." The dog had no history of violent behavior. Hennessy's tragic death marks the 5th fatality this year -- of 16 total -- when a baby, 12-months old and younger, was killed by the family dog. (source citations) Date of death: September 9, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Husky Relationship to dog: Family

Cenedi Kia Carey

4-months old | North Las Vegas, NV

Cenedi Kia Carey, 4-months old, was brutally attacked by the family's 2 pit bulls. Police Chief Joseph Forti said the dogs were in the backyard of the home prior to the attack. The dogs managed to enter the home, possibly by bursting through a screen door, and began attacking the baby as she lay in a stroller. "They just went right for the little girl," he said. The grandmother managed to grab the baby and escape into a different room. She tried to close the door behind her, but one of the dogs forced its way into the room followed by the other. The dogs began attacking the infant again and killed the child. The grandmother was also injured in the attack. (source citations) Date of death: September 12, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bulls (2) Relationship to dog: Family

Jane Doe

3-days old | Warren, OH

Jane Doe, 3-days old, was tragically killed just after being born. At the time of the attack, she was lying in a bassinet. Warren Police Lt. Don Bishop said the 3-day-old baby girl suffered bite marks and scratches by the family's husky and was pronounced dead at Forum Health Trumbull Memorial Hospital. Bishop says the infant's father left the room briefly and discovered the attack when he returned. Fire Chief Kenneth Schick says the baby was in full cardiac arrest when the rescue squad arrived. Police investigated the accident, but ruled the child's death accidental. This marks the 7th fatality this year when an infant was killed by the family dog. (source citations) Date of death: September 22, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Husky Relationship to dog: Family

Katya Todesco

5-years old | Simi Valley, CA

Katya Todesco, 5-years old, was brutally attacked by a pit bull and died several days later due to her injuries. Initial reports from police indicated Katya lived at the home where the attack occurred. But her mother, Katia Todesco, said the tragedy occurred at a friend's house. Todesco said her daughter wandered into the backyard with the friend's 13-year-old daughter, and the dog attacked when Katya "bumped into it." Katya lost a massive amount of blood, but doctors at Simi Valley Hospital were able to revive her, and she lived for two more days at Childrens Hospital.

Police did not release information about Katya Todesco until 6 days after she was attacked and three days after she was pronounced dead. Police Capt. Roy Jones said that they did not report the incident partly because they did not find any criminal conduct in the matter. About 2 weeks later, police released a conflicting statement: "Information obtained during the early stages of the inquiry into this incident resulted in an immediate expansion of this investigation to determine any criminal culpability by the person(s) involved." The investigation continues to unfold. (source citations) Date of death: September 26, 2008 Chained: No

Sex of dog: Male Owner of dog: Family friend

Spay/Neuter: No Multiple dogs: No

On/Off property: On Criminal charges: Pending

Iopeka Liptak

2-months old | Waianae, HI

Iopeka Liptak, 2-months old, was killed while under the watch of Opal Sao, the baby's great-aunt. Sao said she left the baby on her bed, asleep, and had gone to the kitchen for a drink of water just after midnight. Her dog, Penelope Rose, a pit bull-mix, followed her to the kitchen, but while Sao was drinking, she realized the dog had left. Panicked, she ran to the bedroom to find the dog standing on the bed over the baby. The bed, according to Sao, had always been off limits to the dog. By the time she handed the baby to his mother, the toddler was seriously injured. Iopeka Liptak was pronounced dead shortly thereafter at Queen's Medical Center in Honolulu. (source citations) Date of death: October 5, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bull-mix Relationship to dog: Family

Sex of dog: Female Owner of dog: Great-aunt

Chester R. Jordan

62-years old | Muncie, IN

Chester Jordan, 62-years old, was killed by three pit bulls. Jordan, his daughter, Aretha, and her boyfriend DeWayne Benning, lived at the house with the three pit bulls and six new puppies. Benning found the victim in the basement after he returned from work. Police Lt. Al Williams said Jordan lived with the dogs in the basement, given there were furnishings and a television there. Delaware County Coroner James Clevenger Jr. said the victim suffered major tissue damage and was repeatedly bitten by the dogs. He also said that the victim had a history of dementia and had older bite marks on his body. Authorities are investigating "neglect" issues in his death. (source citations) Date of death: October 31, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bulls (3) Relationship to dog: Family

Sex of dog: Mixed Owner of dog: Daughter

Spay/Neuter: No Multiple dogs: Yes

Alexander Adams

2-years old | Las Vegas, NV

Alexander Adams, 2-years old, was killed by his family's pit bull-mix. Just before the attack, Alexander's grandmother was walking with the dog's food bowl in her hand into an area where the dog was normally fed. The toddler had been following his grandmother. The dog suddenly attacked the child. Alexander was dead by the time first responders arrived. The grandmother, who had been watching Alexander and his younger brother while their parents were away, suffered minor injuries. Two months prior to this fatal attack, Las Vegas suffered a similar tragedy. Cenedi Carey, 4-months old, was being watched by her grandmother when the family's 2 pit bulls broke through the screen door of the house and tore little Carey out of her stroller killing her. (source citations) Date of death: November 26, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bull-mix Relationship to dog: Family

Gerald Adelmund

60-years old | Rubidoux, CA

Gerald Adelmund, 60-years old, was standing in his back yard having a cigarette when his two pit bulls mauled him to death. He was declared dead by authorities as soon as they arrived. Authorities do not know "who" dragged the victim back into his home. There were reportedly no witnesses to the attack either. The dogs were described as a large male pit bull mastiff-mix weighing 107 pounds and a female pit bull weighing 52 pounds. Nine puppies were also in the back yard at the time of the fatal attack. The family of the victim authorized authorities to euthanize all of the dogs, including the female's nine puppies. Adelmund lived at the house with his son, daughter-in-law and their three children, who are 2, 7 and 12 years old. (source citations) Date of death: December 19, 2008 Chained: No

Breed of dog: Pit bull and

Pit bull-mix Relationship to dog: Family

Sex of dog: Mixed Owner of dog: Son

Spay/Neuter: No Multiple dogs: Yes

The 60 percent is absolutely correct, it comes from a unbiased group that tracks dog bite across the country. Your link is from a blog in a LASpca website. I don't feel like searching this thread but it is linked several times.

Details of each attack

With respect, there is exactly 0% chance that those statistics are correct (a little ironic humor for you).

In all seriousness, the site you cited (oh, homonyms!!!) must have an axe to grind. Not only is there conflicting data everywhere else one looks, but the data given by that site is particularly suspect due to the...ahem..."largeness"...of the numbers used. "60%" is totally unbelievable. It's not even in the realm of possibility. It's like a physicist saying that acceleration due to gravity is really 20 m/s. There's an entire world of physicists saying, "Um...no...get him off the crazy pills. It's really 9.8." But I'd be willing to give the nutjob a little more leeway if he said it was 10.1.

In this case, I'll go with the majority of dog-bite statistic quotes. Did I say majority? Maybe I should have said, "Overwhelming majority."

The site you quote is an outlier. There's a chance...a very small, flea-sized chance...that they're right and everyone else is wrong. But I'm gonna take my chances. The statistics quoted elsewhere indicate that Pits and Pit mixes may be responsible for 20-30% of attacks. This is *still* very significant and indicates an aggressive tendency in the breed. There's not another breed of dog responsible for more than 15% depending on the source you look at. Pits *are* the most aggressive breed, period. But there's a lot of unreasonable insanity and skewing of data that needs to get under control where people like dogsbite.org are concerned.

There's lies, damned lies, and statistics. I'm willing to bet there's some hedging everywhere we look in this debate. But I'm allergic to BS, and I couldn't quit sneezing when I was at "dogsbite.org". As a general rule of thumb, statistics found on places with the .org suffix are suspect. Too bad the internet doesn't have quality control.

Oh dear Lord. I just read their Pit Bull FAQ...*rolls eyes*

The jaw strength/shake hold bit was just purely asinine. Almost every bulldog breed and many hunting dogs have the shake/hold trait. Pits have less jaw strength than many other like-sized breeds tested, including German Shepherds.

With respect, there is exactly 0% chance that those statistics are correct (a little ironic humor for you).

In all seriousness, the site you cited (oh, homonyms!!!) must have an axe to grind. Not only is there conflicting data everywhere else one looks, but the data given by that site is particularly suspect due to the...ahem..."largeness"...of the numbers used. "60%" is totally unbelievable. It's not even in the realm of possibility. It's like a physicist saying that acceleration due to gravity is really 20 m/s. There's an entire world of physicists saying, "Um...no...get him off the crazy pills. It's really 9.8." But I'd be willing to give the nutjob a little more leeway if he said it was 10.1.

In this case, I'll go with the majority of dog-bite statistic quotes. Did I say majority? Maybe I should have said, "Overwhelming majority."

The site you quote is an outlier. There's a chance...a very small, flea-sized chance...that they're right and everyone else is wrong. But I'm gonna take my chances. The statistics quoted elsewhere indicate that Pits and Pit mixes may be responsible for 20-30% of attacks. This is *still* very significant and indicates an aggressive tendency in the breed. There's not another breed of dog responsible for more than 15% depending on the source you look at. Pits *are* the most aggressive breed, period. But there's a lot of unreasonable insanity and skewing of data that needs to get under control where people like dogsbite.org are concerned.

There's lies, damned lies, and statistics. I'm willing to bet there's some hedging everywhere we look in this debate. But I'm allergic to BS, and I couldn't quit sneezing when I was at "dogsbite.org". As a general rule of thumb, statistics found on places with the .org suffix are suspect. Too bad the internet doesn't have quality control.

The % he is referring to is fatalities - not "attacks". But one thing you are right about it the lack of reliable statistics. Most bite studies are over 10 years old.

In all fairness, I think she has an axe to grind. With that said she gathered data(listed below) on all fatal dog attacks in the United States. She is obviously pissed off and has been attacked, that doesn't mean her information she presents is wrong.

Until you can disprove these actual newsources, your argument that it isn't 60% does NOT hold water. It might be easier to click the source links she quotes listed with each description of each attack. She isn't pulling this information from thin air, she isn't including certain breeds, (Jack Russels are listed)and she isn'texcluding any fatal dog attacks.

If you can find one fatal dog attack that ISN't listed on her website, I will believe it is complete and total b.s. From what I can see, even though she is on a mission, you can't discredit her research.

2008 citations

Andrew Stein | Articles (PDF)

Thomas J. Luek, "Brooklyn Infant Is Killed by Family’s Dog," The New York Times, January 4. 2008 (www.nytimes.com)

Justin Mozer | Articles (PDF)

Associated Press, "Infant died of suffocation, blood loss in dog attack," Herald-Dispatch.com, January 19, 2008 (www.herald-dispatch.com)

"Kentucky Infant Killed by Family Dog," Herald-Dispatch.com, WBKO, January 21, 2008 (www.wbko.com)

Jenna Mink, "Aggressive dogs a growing local problem, officials say," Herald-Leader, April 3, 2008 (www.kentucky.com) Kelli Chapman | Articles (PDF)

Amanda Ward, "Woman killed by pet pit bulls," 7 KPLC, January 20, 2008 (www.kplctv.com)

"Woman in Southwest LA Dies From Dog Bite," KATC.com, January 2008 (www.katc.com)

Jennifer Heath****, "Dogs Maul, Kill Owner," KFDM News6, January 21, 2008 (www.kfdm.com)

Scott Lawrence, "New Information About Victim in Fatal Dog Attack," KFDM News6, January 24, 2008 (www.kfdm.com)

Abraham Tackett | Articles (PDF)

James Halpin, "Fort Yukon toddler killed by dog," Anchorage Daily News, April 29, 2008 (www.adn.com)

Julian Slack | Articles (PDF)

"UPDATED: New Details In Deadly Camp Lejeune Pit Bull Attack," WITN, May 14, 2008 (www.witn.com)

Molly Dewitt and Lindell Kay, "Boy’s death ruled accident," Jdnews.com, May 16, 2008 (www.jdnews.com)

Lindell Kay, "Dog attack brings bad memories for mother," Jdnews.com, May 17, 2008 (www.jdnews.com)

Cpl. Billy Hall, Marine Corps Base, "New Base Order bans vicious breeds from base," Marine Corps Base Camp Lejeune Website, April 16, 2009 (www.lejeune.usmc.mil)

Amanda Hickley, "Mother of 3 year old killed by pit bull remembers son," JDNews.com, May 13, 2009 (www.jdnews.com)

Tanner Joshua Monk | Articles (PDF)

"Pit bulls apparently kill 7-year-old on rural Texas road," Times Record News, May 19, 2008 (www.timesrecordnews.com)

Associated Press, "2 people arrested after pit bulls kill Breckenridge boy," Houston Chronical, May 29, 2008 (www.chron.com)

C.T. Hunnewell, "Testimony ends in dog attack trial," Times Record News, October 9, 2008 (www.timesrecordnews.com)

Cherry Young, "Breaking News -- Dog bites the worst I've seen, forensic dentist says," Graham Leader Online, October 9, 2008 (www.grahamleader.com)

Cherry Young, "Duo guilty in dog attack," Graham Leader, October 9, 2008 (www.gosanangelo.com.com)

"2 Sentenced Under Texas' New Dog-Attack Law," CBS 11 TV, October 14, 2008 (www.cbs11tv.com)

Jim Douglas, "When dogs attack, owners can go to prison," WFAA, January 19, 2009 (www.wfaa.com)

Pablo Lopez (Hernandez) | Articles (PDF)

Sean Gaffney, "Boy killed by pit bull near Weslaco," The Monitor, June 18, 2008 (www.themonitor.com)

Associated Press, "No charges expected in deadly pit bull attack in South Texas," KTEN, June 20, 2008 (www.kten.com)

NOTE: The last names of both Lopez and Hernandez have been used in news reports.

Lorraine May | Articles (PDF)

Susan Jacobson, "Titusville great-grandmother's pet dogs maul her to death, will be euthanized," Orlando Sentinel, June 28, 2008 (www.orlandosentinel.com)

Tony Evans Jr. | Articles (PDF)

"Family Of Mauled 3-Year-Old Want Pit Bull Euthanized," WAPT.com, July 22, 2008 (www.wapt.com)

Mark F. Bonner, "Grieving mother discusses fatal dog attack," Clarionledger, July 24, 2008 (www.clarionledger.com)

Addison Sonney | Articles (PDF)

Kara Rhodes, "What caused dog to attack? (VIDEO)," Erie Times News, July 25, 2008 (www.goerie.com)

Associated Press, "1-year-old dies after dog attack in Erie," Post-Gazette Now, July 25, 2008 (www.post-gazett.com)

Kara Rhodes, "A Bad Dream," Erie Times News, August, 8, 2008 (www.goerie.com) Zane Alen Earles

Zane Alen Earles | Articles (PDF)

Shelia Stogsdill, "Despite ID, little is clear in Tulsa mauling," NewsOK.com, July 30, 2008 (www.newsok.com)

Johnny Johnson, "Infant's mauling troubled Tulsa medics," NewsOK.com, July 31, 2008 (www.newsok.com)

"UPDATED: Teenage mother charged in dog-mauling death of baby," Tulsa World, November 4, 2008 (tulsaworld.com)

Robert Howard | Articles (PDF)

"Man Mauled By Fighting Pit Bull Dies," WDIV Detroit News, August 15, 2008 (www.clickondetroit.com)

Isis Krieger | Articles (PDF)

James Haplin, "Dog-attack victim remains in critical condition," Anchorage Daily News, August 16, 2008 (www.adn.com)

James Haplin, "Child taken off life support after pit bull attack," Anchorage Daily News, August 18, 2008 (www.adn.com)

Lori Tipton, "Girl mauled by pit bull dies," Channel 2 News, August 18, 2008 (www.ktuu.com)

Henry Piotrowski | Articles (PDF)

"90-year-old mauled by dogs in Staten Island's Port Richmond section," Staten Island Advance, July 1, 2008 (www.silive.com)

Kareem Fahim and Al Baker, "After Pit Bulls Attack, Owner Charged," New York Times, July 2, 2008 (www.nytimes.com)

"Felony rap for owner of dogs that mauled Staten Island man," Staten Island Advance, July 2, 2008 (www.silive.com)

"90-year-old loses 3 limbs after pit bull attack," The Straits Times, July 3, 2008 (www.straitstimes.com)

Associated Press, "Staten Island man, 90, dies six weeks after getting mauled by pit bulls," Daily News (www.nydailynews.com)

"Staten Island co-owner of pit bull that mauled 90-year-old veteran sentenced," Staten Island Advance, April 16, 2009 (www.silive.com)

"No respite for kin of Staten Island pit bull victim, as vandals hit house, car," Staten Island Advance, May 21, 2009 (www.silive.com)

Luna McDaniel | Articles (PDF)

"Ville Platte Pitt Bull Attack Victim To Undergo Surgery," Channel 10 KLFY, August 25, 2008 (www.klfy.com)

"Ville Platte Woman Dies," KATC.com, September 9, 2008 (www.katc.com)

"Charges Against Theo Doucet Increase," KATC.com, September 10, 2008 (www.katc.com)

Carissa Hebert, "Luna McDaniel act to be introduced in April session," VillePlatteToday, April 4, 2009 (www.villeplattetoday.com)

Mark Ballard, "Negligent owners target of proposal," 2 The Advocate, May 25, 2009 (www.2theadvocate.com)

Alexis Hennessy | Articles (PDF)

Associated Press, "Six-day-old girl fatally bitten by family dog in New Jersey," Daily News, September 7, 2008 (www.nydailynews.com)

Jim Lockwood, "A moment alone in a crib results in fatal dog bite," Star Ledger, September 9, 2008 (www.www.nj.com)

Jim Lockwood, "Dog that killed Hopatcong baby is euthanized," NJ.com, October 10, 2008 (www.nj.coom)

Cenedi Kia Carey | Articles (PDF)

Lawrence Mower, "Pet pit bulls maul NLV 4-month-old to death," Las Vegas Review Journal, September 13, 2008 (www.lvrj.com)

Mary Manning, "Coroner identifies infant mauled by pit bulls," Las Vegas Sun, September 15, 2008 (www.lasvegassun.com)

"911 Call Released From Deadly Pit Bull Attack," 13 Action News, September 17, 2008 (www.ktnv.com)

Lawrence Mower, "No charges will be filed in fatal pit bull attack in North Las Vegas," Las Vegas Review Journal, October 21, 2008 (www.lvrj.com)

Jane Doe | Articles (PDF)

Beacon Journal Staff Report, "Police say family's dog killed newborn baby," Akron Beacon Journal, September 23, 2008 (www.ohio.com)

Ed Runyan, "Coroner rules death of baby killed by dog was accident," Vindy News, September 24, 2008 (www.vindy.com)

Katya Todesco | Articles (PDF)

"Child bitten by family dog dies," Ventura County Star, September 29, 2008 (www.venturacountystar.com)

Adam Foxman, "Simi Valley girl, 5, dies after backyard attack from pit bull," September 30, 2008 (www.venturacountystar.com)

"5-year-old Dies After Being Mauled by Pit Bull," KTLA News, October 1, 2008 (www.ktla.com)

Joann Groff, "Community shocked by death of 5-year-old in dog attack," Simi Valley Acorn, October 3, 2008 (www.simivalleyacorn.com)

John Scheibe, "Investigation in fatal dog mauling of girl," Ventura County Star, October 9, 2008 (www.venturacountystar.com)

Iopeka Liptak | Articles (PDF)

Laurie Au, "Pit bull attack kills isle infant," Star Bulletin, October 6, 2008 (www.starbulletin.com)

Andrew Pereira, "Waianae Infant Dies After Dog Mauling," KHON 2 News, October 6, 2008 (www.khon2.com)

"Baby Mauled, Killed By Waianae Family's Dog," KITV-TV, October 6, 2008 (www.msnbc.com)

Associated Press, "Dog that killed baby is euthanized," KPUA Hawaii News, October 7, 2008 (www.kpua.com)

Suzanne Roig and Dan Nakaso, "Dog killed infant in matter of minutes, Pit bull mix was not raised to be violent, grieving owner says," The Honolulu Advertiser, October 7, 2008 (www,honoluluadvertiser.com)

Curtis Lum, "Bill would ban owning pit bulls in Hawaii -- but its chances are slim," The Honolulu Advertiser, January 27, 2009 (www,honoluluadvertiser.com)

NOTE: Through the Freedom of Information Act, DogsBite.org obtained the police report of the Iopeka Liptak fatality. The dog is identified as a "Sharpei/Pitbull mix," also known as a pit bull-mix.

Chester R. Jordan | Articles (PDF)

Richard Essex, "Muncie man killed in dog attack," 13 Eyewitness News, October 31, 2008 (www.wthr.com)

Rick Yencer, "Three pit bulls found with body," The Star Press, November 1, 2008 (www.starpress.com)

Kelly Day, "Autopsy: Pit bull attack killed man," The Star Press, November 2, 2008 (www.starpress.com)

Alexander Adams | Articles (PDF)

Antonio Planas, "2-year-old boy killed in dog attack in valley home," Las Vegas Review Journal, November 26, 2008 (www.lvrj.com)

Lawrence Mower, "Neighbor describes dogs as approachable," Las Vegas Review Journal, November 28, 2008 (www.lvrj.com)

Associated Press, "Police: Food May Have Triggered Fatal Dog Mauling," Mercury News, December 3, 2008 (www.mercurynews.com)

Lawrence Mower, "Fatal Mauling Trigger for Attack Possibly Food," Las Vegas Review Journal, December 3, 2008 (www.lvrj.com)

Gerald Adelmund | Articles (PDF)

Joe Smilor, "UPDATE: 60-year-old man killed in pit bull attack in Rubidoux," Inland Empire and Inland Valley Breaking News, December 19, 2008 (www.insidelocal.com)

"2 Pit Bulls Attack, Kill 60-Year-Old Rubidoux Man," CBS 2, December 19, 2008 (www.cbs2.com)

Associated Press, "SoCal man mauled to death by pit bulls," The Press-Enterprise, December 19, 2008 (www.pe.com)

Bob Banfield, "Pit bulls fatally maul Rubidoux man," ABC 7, December 19, 2008 (www.abclocal.com)

Jessica Logan and Laurie Lucas, "Rubidoux man mauled to death by own dogs," The Press Enterprise, December 19, 2008 (www.pe.com)

Oh dear Lord. I just read their Pit Bull FAQ...*rolls eyes*

The jaw strength/shake hold bit was just purely asinine. Almost every bulldog breed and many hunting dogs have the shake/hold trait. Pits have less jaw strength than many other like-sized breeds tested, including German Shepherds.

again dude her sources are not that bad, her presentation is slanted.

1Progressive pit bull legislation includes the American bulldog in the definition of "pit bull type dog."

2,5One City's Experience, by Kory A. Nelson, Senior City Attorney for the City of Denver, Municipal Lawyer, July/August 2005

3Dogfighting Fact Sheet, The Humane Society of the United States

4Dog-fighting 'Godfather' Given Prison, by Monte Mitchell, Winston Salem Journal, February 13, 2009

6,9Pit Bull Case Report and Literature Review, by Steven F. Vegas, MD, Jason H. Calhoun, MD, M. Eng., John Mader, MD, Texas Medicine Vol. 84, November 1988

7Breaking Up a Fight, Pit Bull Rescue Central

8Information provided by the Lucas County, Ohio Dog Warden

10,11Managing the Stigma of Outlaw Breeds: A Case Study of Pit Bull Owners, by Hillary Twining, Arnold Arluke, Gary Patronek, Tufts Center for Animals and Public Policy, Society & Animals Journal of Human-Animal Studies, Vol. 8 Number 1, 2000

12Breed Information, Pit Bull Rescue Central

13U.S. shelter killing toll drops to 3.7 million dogs & cats, Animal People News, July-August 2007

Breeds of Dogs Involved in Fatal Human Attacks in the United States Between 1979 and 1998

Researchers reviewed a 20-year period from 1979 to 1998 to determine the types of breeds most responsible for US dog bite fatalities.

Read full study »

Study highlights

At least 25 breeds of dogs were involved in 238 human dog bite related fatalities during this time span. Pit bulls and rottweilers were involved in over half of these fatalities and from 1997-1998, over 60%.

Researchers note that it is extremely unlikely that pit bulls and rottweilers accounted for 60% of dogs in US households during this period thus, there appeared to be a breed-specific problem with fatalities.

Of 227 reports with relevant data, 75% of deaths occurred on owner property (58% involved unrestrained dogs, 17% restrained dogs) and 25% of deaths occurred off owner property (24% involved unrestrained dogs, 1% involved a restrained dog).

During 1997-1998, fatal attacks were reported from 17 states; California 4; Georgia and North Carolina 3 each; Kansas, Texas, and Wisconsin 2 each; and Alaska, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Kentucky, Massachusetts, Michigan, Missouri, New York, South Dakota, and Tennessee 1 each.

her source

Breeds of Dogs Involved in Fatal Human Attacks in the United States Between 1979 and 1998, by Sacks, Sinclair, Gilchrist, Golab and Lockwood, Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, 2000

GoSkins561 - I thought you did not care about statistics?

.....Oh right. Just statistics that are against your point. Those you "don't care about" - only your own. All of a sudden you are a stat man, but you would not even comment on the ones I presented you with before. Weird.

GoSkins561 - I thought you did not care about statistics?

.....Oh right. Just statistics that are against your point. Those you "don't care about" - only your own. All of a sudden you are a stat man, but you would not even comment on the ones I presented you with before. Weird.

Not your watered down statistics, I can run numbers on any race and crime rate in the country and water them down so they go below .001 , it's really not that hard.

It's like saying there were 2 people killed by pits in Virginia and West Virginia with in the past week, however there are 500,000 pits therefore the chances of getting killed by a Pit are .000004 percent. No, the fact is, two people were killed in Virginia and West Virginia with in the past week by pit bulls.

Goskin, the AVMA report you quoted above is the joint CDC/AVMA report usually referred to as just the CDC report. In that same report, the authors explained that:

Considering only bites that resulted in fatalities, because they are more easily ascertained than nonfatal bites, the numerator of a dog breed-specific human DBRF rate requires a complete accounting of human DBRF as well as an accurate determination of the breeds involved. Numerator data may be biased for 4 reasons. First, the human DBRF reported here are likely underestimated; prior work suggests the approach we used identifies only 74% of actual cases.1,2 Second, to the extent that attacks by 1 breed are more newsworthy than those by other breeds, our methods may have resulted in differential ascertainment of fatalities by breed. Third, because identification of a dog’s breed may be subjective (even experts may disagree on the breed of a particular dog), DBRF may be differentially ascribed to breeds with a reputation for aggression. Fourth, it is not clear how to count attacks by crossbred dogs. Ignoring these data underestimates breed involvement (29% of attacking dogs were crossbred dogs), whereas including them permits a single dog to be counted more than once.

Or in other words, because of their data collection procedures, which they listed media accounts as one of their two sources of data (the other was the HSUS), the statistics presented may not be correct due to mis-identification, over-reporting due to certain breeds being more newsworthy, and assumption of breed due to reputation.

Also from the same report:

Finally, it is imperative to keep in mind that even if breed-specific bite rates could be accurately calculated, they do not factor in owner related issues. For example, less responsible owners or owners who want to foster aggression in their dogs may be drawn differentially to certain breeds.

Here they admit that breed-specific bite rates cannot be accurately calculated. In fact, the CDC quit gathering breed data in fatal attacks in 1998.

I am not really trying to change your mind. I understand why you feel the way you do, much like I avoid Border Collies after being attacked by one as a child. However, please be aware when forming your arguments that if you include the CDC/AVMA report, it is important not to take one group's interpretation (pro and against) at face value.

Please read the report for yourself. I am admittedly bias when it comes to this subject, and you should draw your own conclusions. Besides, it is an interesting report to read since they get into BSL effectiveness, etc.

Breeds of dogs involved in fatal human attacks in the United States between 1979 and 1998

This threads has gotten ridiculous. It's like an Ovechkin vs. Crosby thread at HFBoards. Can't we agree pitbulls can be dangerous and so can other breeds and while they seem to be more prone to violence they can be friendly and harmless animals.

I agree with everything you just said (well, I do not follow hockey, but I get the idea)...but...but...I think the record is 30-something pages for a pitbull thread...we can break it, I know we can! :saber:

Its a subject that people are passionate about going both ways, and I know I actually tried to avoid this one simply due to not being able to walk away. My wife has actually made jokes about how we should just cut and paste responses from the last 7 or 8 pittie threads since they always follow the same pattern, with the same arguments, from the same people, thus saving us all alot of time typing. :)

I think next time I am gonna try to derail it into a discussion on the evils of Chihuahuas....little jerks...

I agree with everything you just said (well, I do not follow hockey, but I get the idea)...but...but...I think the record is 30-something pages for a pitbull thread...we can break it, I know we can! :saber:

Its a subject that people are passionate about going both ways, and I know I actually tried to avoid this one simply due to not being able to walk away. My wife has actually made jokes about how we should just cut and paste responses from the last 7 or 8 pittie threads since they always follow the same pattern, with the same arguments, from the same people, thus saving us all alot of time typing. :)

I think next time I am gonna try to derail it into a discussion on the evils of Chihuahuas....little jerks...

Seriously. Chihuahuas aren't even dogs. They're made of the unholy union of an ego-maniacal sewer rat and a mentally handicapped rabbit. They need to be eradicated. Like, now.

Seriously. Chihuahuas aren't even dogs. They're made of the unholy union of an ego-maniacal sewer rat and a mentally handicapped rabbit. They need to be eradicated. Like, now.

Nah, I was just kidding, they really are not that bad.

Here in El Paso, Chihuahuas are severely overpopulated, so the number of bad ones (ill tempered, etc) is kinda high. Pretty much what happends whenever population outpaces responsible breeding. My elderly neighbors have like 5 of them in their yard - they growl and snap at Shelby (my pit), but she either ignores it, or tries playing with them. There are a few more that run loose which I have called a.c. about (if nothing else I do not want them to get hit by a car), but not much is done about it.

But I have also encountered some fairly cool, laid back ones, and they were neat little dogs.

Nah, I was just kidding, they really are not that bad.

Here in El Paso, Chihuahuas are severely overpopulated, so the number of bad ones (ill tempered, etc) is kinda high. Pretty much what happends whenever population outpaces responsible breeding. My elderly neighbors have like 5 of them in their yard - they growl and snap at Shelby (my pit), but she either ignores it, or tries playing with them. There are a few more that run loose which I have called a.c. about (if nothing else I do not want them to get hit by a car), but not much is done about it.

But I have also encountered some fairly cool, laid back ones, and they were neat little dogs.

We'll let you keep the 3 sane chihuahuas in the world as long as you don't let them drink from the same water bowl as real dogs. :cool2:

Archived