Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Haynesworth's $41M Guaranteed Looks More Reasonable Now

bulldog

But we weren't in need of a DT who requires a double and triple team. We weren't in need of somebody who's the unique talent that Haynesworth is. We just needed somebody to help collapse the pocket. We could have addressed that with a draft pick (say about where we picked Barnes, say Roy Miller the guy who played with Orakpo, the guy picked right after we picked Barnes).

So what you're saying is that you would prefer the less talented player?

The bottom line is if Haynesworth becomes one of the best defensive tackles in Redskins history, everyone will forget how much his contract was.

I don't like taking the risk, not because I don't think he'll perform, but that big fat linemen can get injured so easily.

It's not about getting good players. It's about getting good value and drafting well so that your team doesn't have huge holes in it. Case in point our defense is much improved and our OLine looks horrible.

That's always the case with the redskins, our weaknesses are as big or bigger than our strengths.

It's not about getting good players. It's about getting good value and drafting well so that your team doesn't have huge holes in it. Case in point our defense is much improved and our OLine looks horrible.

That's always the case with the redskins, our weaknesses are as big or bigger than our strengths.

Rome wasn't built in a day. It's a process.

We've revamped our D-line and the Oline is next.

So what you're saying is that you would prefer the less talented player?

Since we already have talent at DT. We didn't need to add the best DT in the game. And what we sacrificed is getting less talent anyway, that is - if you look at our OL. So it all depends on the perspective you choose to look at if from.

Since we already have talent at DT. We didn't need to add the best DT in the game. And what we sacrificed is getting less talent anyway, that is - if you look at our OL. So it all depends on the perspective you choose to look at if from.

Uhhh we had no real talent at DT. Montgomery and Golston aren't real talent and whats his name from the Giants is beat up. Don't get caught up in our guys who are just average.

It was a smart move. Not picking up an olineman in the draft wasn't.

Good writeup. Having Haynesworth on the team is a wise investment. He's one of the few players who really makes the players around him better.

Imagine if we had kept Jason Taylor as that dedicated OLB and let Orakpo simply rush the passer. Than we'd have 3 pure pass rushers going after the QB, and a big mean DT up the middle to clog the attention.

Great player, but we overpaid for him.

(And he hasn't played a complete season yet. But I'm more concerned with how V&D are still breaking the bank on FA signings.)

Personally I never understand why anyone cares what we pay a player.

Trading away draft picks is a much bigger issue to me than what we pay guys. It's all accounting mumbo jumbo and since Snyder has been here, what we pay players hasn't been the issue with our performance.

They could have give Albert 500 million if it worked out in the books. I couldn't care less.

Personally I never understand why anyone cares what we pay a player.=quote]

why do you think jason taylor, springs, and marcus washington (three starters on defense that all at one point made the pro bowl) were cut this off season?..

everything in the NFL revolves around the almighty dollar. its a business, and as a fan you should try and be conscious of it because it really does effect not only personell, but how your team is ran

Meanwhile we see the Seahawks give a strongside linebacker $34M. Aaron Curry was the top ranked linebacker in a draft that was thin at the position. Curry has measurables but one has to question those kind of committed dollars to a position, unlike QB or DL, where success is so dependent upon others around him in the front seven.

This is probably the one part of your post i don't agree with. I think the success of a o-linebacker is much less dependent on others than that of a QB. And I would say, although I'm not basing this off of any hard stats, that OLB is probably one of the safest positions to draft high, as they seem to pan out more often than most other positions.

Now to state the obvious: 1st round rookie contracts have become insane. Guys who haven't proven a thing and who are probably a coin flip at best as far as panning out, are coming in and getting huge, sometimes record breaking contracts. Rookies should not make more than pro bowlers.

It's arguably even a disadvantage to draft high at this point with the contracts top picks are getting. Struggling teams are forced to invest a big portion of their caps on unproven 21 year olds.

Something needs to be done about this... perhaps the rookie cap that has been discussed, but definitely something. These contracts are based on players taken the year before or earlier in the draft and you certainly can't fault players or agents for trying to bank, but the bar has been set way too high for first rounders and an adjustment is needed.

Good post. I do think Haynesworth will end up to be a good signing, which is very hard to say considering that we don't have much to show for all the big money free agent signings we've made, aside from guys like Fletcher and maybe Hall if he works out. And because of our history, Snyder gets torched for bringing in a guy who is pretty much unquestionably the best at his position in the league, while teams are spending similar dollars every year on college kids.

Anthony Montgomery, 30 something year old Cornelis Griffith, Kedric Golston?
Haynesworth is better than Griffin ever was, and Monty and Golston aren't even close even when Haynesworth is "tired" or whatever that Rams center claimed about him.

The Redskins haven't had a push up the middle since 2004 when Griffin was playing on his A-game. He's since been slowed by injuries, primarily that nagging shoulder injury, and Monty and Golston haven't shown anything other than flashes of being above average since they were drafted.

If this team wasn't going to sign Haynesworth, or somehow acquire an elite DT, they needed to draft one.

Archived