• Kristin
    • Kim

Parcells has significant holes to fill

By Darrell Trimble

NFL Insider

Wednesday, June 25

Updated: June 25

11:04 AM ET

After Bill Parcells took over the struggling Dallas Cowboys in January, he looked at the strength and weaknesses on his roster and compiled a list of areas the team needed to significantly upgrade. With two months left before the start of the regular season, the Cowboys have 80 percent of their reconstruction completed, and appear content to go into the season with their current roster.

The areas that Parcells did shore up include offensive line, cornerback, fullback, tight end, linebacker and punter. But the team still has not addressed its running back, quarterback or defensive line situations. And though many people feel that Parcells' presence alone will immediately catapult the Cowboys into the playoff hunt, it will be difficult for Dallas to improve on last year's 5-11 record with questions at perhaps the three most important spots on the team.

In order for teams to be successful, they need a capable quarterback, a solid running game and a defensive line that can create some pressure. There are exceptions to the rule, but a team needs to excel in at least one or two of these areas, and the Cowboys could be deficient in all three areas.

The defensive line did help shut down the run well last year, giving up 3.8 yards per rush. Only Baltimore gave up fewer yards per carry than that. But applying pressure to the quarterback was another story. The Cowboys were second to last in sacks with 24, and all they've done on the offseason is lose Brandon Noble.

Granted, Noble didn't have a sack last year, but the man replacing him, Michael Myers, had only one. And the people that will now backup up the defensive tackle spot, John Nix, Willie Blade and Daleroy Stewart are inexperienced and have nary a quarterback drop between them. Despite that, the Cowboys neither drafted a defensive lineman nor added one in free agency.

The quarterbacks situation was similar, in that Parcells chose not to bring anyone in to challenge his duo of Chad Hutchinson and Quincy Carter.

The lone bright spot could be Troy Hambrick. He has at least flashed some tools, albeit two years ago. His weight had increased and his production noticeably decreased, but Parcells has set Hambrick's playing weight at under 240 pounds, and he's almost there. If Hambrick is in tip-top shape for the start of the season, there is a good chance the Cowboys could be an adequate rushing team.

To be fair to the Cowboys, it's almost impossible to take a team with so many holes and fill them in one offseason. So far, Dallas has done a good job of getting their house in order and setting a foundation so they can be competitive in future years. But expecting them to compete for the postseason with the current status of their passing game, running game and defensive line is asking a bit much.

I also think we can assume that Tuna's gonna be giving a really hard look at his second string. There may be a lot of movement on the depth chart this year.

I think, if I were a Boys backup, I'd be putting a lot of effort into offseason conditioning. This could be a real opportunity.

To be fair to the Cowboys, it's almost impossible to take a team with so many holes and fill them in one offseason. So far, Dallas has done a good job of getting their house in order and setting a foundation so they can be competitive in future years. But expecting them to compete for the postseason with the current status of their passing game, running game and defensive line is asking a bit much

I think this is the opinion of most of us that have posted about the Cowboys. They haven't made bad moves for future players such as Newman and last year Roy Williams, they just can't fill all the holes at once.

To expect a 9-7 or 10-6 season without a set starting qb and a lack of playmakers at RB and depth on the DL is just unrealistic.

Dallas has had two solid back to back drafts. That is a good start for the future. Having Parcells for the next two drafts at least, should really set them up nicely. Two to three years from now Parcells should have them back in the playoffs again. As long as the marriage with JJ lasts, Boy fans should be optimistic about there future. That future however is not this year.

If you look at the Cowboys schedule there are at least 10 games they will be big underdogs in. There is probably only a few games that will be picks or the boys will be favored. Having said this they will be lucky to win 5 games this season.

I believe Larry has it about right. This is the year for the Cowboys' back ups to shine. If they can show the man they have what it takes to play well in the NFL they can cement a job, and maybe start. Don't be too surprised if an unknown running back emerges, and maybe a wide receiver, a guard, and a defensive end.

Originally posted by Angus

I believe Larry has it about right. This is the year for the Cowboys' back ups to shine. If they can show the man they have what it takes to play well in the NFL they can cement a job, and maybe start. Don't be too surprised if an unknown running back emerges, and maybe a wide receiver, a guard, and a defensive end.

How good can their Backups be when they were drafting guys like Quincy carter to start.???:?:

Parcells has significant holes to fill. Then I guess he's the perfect coach for Dallas. He'll blend right in. After all, don't most Cowboys fill their nostril holes with a powdery white substance. Then when they get thrown in the slammer to serve time for that, they end up filling the other significant holes with a Cell-Mate named Ben Dover.

And, I think, if I were a 'Boy starter, I'd be really nervous, especially if the guy behind me is a lot cheaper. If Parcells can't get what he wants to see this year, then he'll just lop off some heads, play the backups, and get the cap straightened out.

As some sports commentator said about some high-priced big name who was holding out for big bucks from a below-500 team: "If they've been losing with you, then they can certainly lose without you."

well, if we are going to allow for backup or rookie players in D to emerge at qb, rb, wr, dl ALL in one season and on queue, then I think the Redskins with a more solidified roster of veterans should be penciled in at 14-2 since Ramsey is by that standard a legitimate candidate to lead the NFC in passing and for Taylor Jacobs to catch 80 balls :cool:

and if I am not mistaken the Cowboys teams of 1973 and 1974 won the East championship and had Roger Staubach solidified as the starter at quarterback :)

that is a world of difference from integrating rookies and other younger NFLers onto a 5-11 team that has undergone a change in staff and philosophy, my friend.

The Redskins in 1982 similarly benefited from a host of 1981 draft choices and undrafted free agents that later went on to be pro bowlers and contributors to multiple championship teams.

but again, that team already had veteran anchors in Theismann at qb, Riggins at rb, Moseley as the pro bowl kicker, Dave Butz at DT, etc..........

Oh, I'm not predicting Tuna to win a lot with people off the bench.

I'm just saying that, in his position, if I think I'm looking at another 5-11, then I might as well be a cheap 5-11. (With a bunch of players who at least have some loyalty to me, for giving them the chance.)

Archived