Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Worst Redskin FLOP other then DEION!!

I wouldn't consider deion a flop. All you deion haters have to stop. He only let up one td the whole season. One. plus a 57 yard punt return in ot to seal the victory. And all the guys on the team liked him, like darrel and champ. I like deion and he is one of my favorite players of all time.

Originally posted by SmootSkins21

I wouldn't consider deion a flop. All you deion haters have to stop. He only let up one td the whole season. One. plus a 57 yard punt return in ot to seal the victory. And all the guys on the team liked him, like darrel and champ. I like deion and he is one of my favorite players of all time.

Wow never thought I'd see those words on this site, much less this thread. I still hate Deion, and think he stole a lot of cap space, but Kudos to Smootskins for stepping up.:cheers:

Deion's 57 yard punt return in the Tampa game has to be weighed against the 3.4 yard average he had on punts BEFORE that return AND all the fumbles.

Remember the ball actually hitting Deion in the face shield?

Then in the open field he was run down by a backup safety?

No, Deion was nowhere near the player he said he was going to be. What he was was a solid cornerback whose play never matched his bravado.

He didn't even last the season as the punt returner before complaining about a bad back and hamstring. Then the coaches kept him at CB exclusively.

Sanders was an $8 million boondoggle.

And the shame of it was the Skins already had one very good corner in Champ Bailey and another in Darrell Green that at 38 could have been a serviceable starter in 2000.

The Skins could have gone on the market and acquired a third corner with NFL experience or even a name player to challenge for a spot, and saved themselves so much money under the cap it isn't even funny :mad:

Deion was a shell of himself here in DC. What was really pathetic was Deion trying to grandstand and talk down his opponents while he was proving on the field he was mortal and could be beaten on routes that 3 or 4 years earlier nobody would even dare throw on him.

Snyder got snookered. Plain and simple.

I think Jeff George was one of our biggest flops. I remember after the 1999 season we had a legitimate shot at going to the Superbowl in 2000. All the pieces were in place. We finally had a QB in Brad Johnson. He threw for over 4000 yards in 1999. Deion Sanders and Bruce Smith were brought in to stop the Rams "Greatest Show on Turf", but why Jeff George? Brad Johnson proved he had the tools to take us to the playoffs.

Originally posted by Buddha

Here's one not mentioned. Go back before Brad Johnson, Trent Green, Gus Frerotte, and Heath Shuler to when the team let a young Rich Gannon walk in favor of John Friesz.

Yeah Buddha, but it took 10 years after the Skins let him go for Gannon to become a legitimate NFL quarterback. I don't know that we should have waited for him. I'd say Shula and Howard a close second, because of expectations. Andre Johnson was a monumental flop but we never really expected much from him.

Originally posted by nfchamp1

Yeah Buddha, but it took 10 years after the Skins let him go for Gannon to become a legitimate NFL quarterback. I don't know that we should have waited for him. I'd say Shula and Howard a close second, because of expectations. Andre Johnson was a monumental flop but we never really expected much from him.

Actually, check out his career stats...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=430

Gannon started the majority of the 1990-1992 seasons for the Vikings and didn't do too bad. The Skins got him for a steal in 1993, but he got caught up in the shuffle with Rypien and Conklin and wasn't re-signed for 1994. He actually had his breakout season in 1999 when he went to Oakland after rotting on the bench for 4 seasons in KC.

Bottom line is that Norval wanted to choose his own QBs when he came in 1994 and for some reason had no interest at all in Gannon. Instead, he reached for a very mediocre (and nonthreatening) veteran in Friesz and rushed Heath in WAY before he was close to being ready. Had they kept Gannon along with Friesz, Heath may have had the luxury of learning on the bench for two or three seasons-- and may still be playing today.

But I suppose back then, nobody had the patience to develop a high 1st round QB properly...

Guest Trevor

Norv is the biggest flop.

Deion wasn't really a flop as he played ok and didn't have a lot of long term negative effects like Turner.

2nd runner up would have to have been trading all those picks for Brad Johnson.

Originally posted by Buddha

Actually, check out his career stats...

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/players/stats?statsId=430

Gannon started the majority of the 1990-1992 seasons for the Vikings and didn't do too bad. The Skins got him for a steal in 1993, but he got caught up in the shuffle with Rypien and Conklin and wasn't re-signed for 1994. He actually had his breakout season in 1999 when he went to Oakland after rotting on the bench for 4 seasons in KC.

Bottom line is that Norval wanted to choose his own QBs when he came in 1994 and for some reason had no interest at all in Gannon. Instead, he reached for a very mediocre (and nonthreatening) veteran in Friesz and rushed Heath in WAY before he was close to being ready. Had they kept Gannon along with Friesz, Heath may have had the luxury of learning on the bench for two or three seasons-- and may still be playing today.

But I suppose back then, nobody had the patience to develop a high 1st round QB properly...

Buddha, No can argue with sensei.:laugh:

Gannon was not a flop but not even Sensei could envision him being the freak that he is now.

Originally posted by AJWatson3

shuler, but i would have to consider gilbert a very bad move, but since we got some great compensation he loses out....

brandies is God

Geeze, this is great, you can edit other peoples posts if you go the quote scenerio.

The worst flop. A certain play called by Richard Nixon in our first Superbowl. Wasn't it a 13 yard loss on a reverse to Roy Jefferson?

I wouldn't vote vote him but i think westbrook deserves to be on the ballot.

Also I agree with Buddha on Rich Gannon and we did at one point draft Keenan McCardell in the 12th round or so and let him wander off.

Archived