Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Politico: Ex-President Clinton headed to North Korea

StillUnknown

http://www.politico.com/blogs/michaelcalderone/0809/Report_Clinton_to_assist_journos_in_N_Korea.html

Report: Clinton to assist journos in N. Korea

Former President Bill Clinton is reportedly en route to North Korea to assist with negotiations for the release of two imprisoned American journalists, according to a South Korean news agency (by way of Reuters).

Clinton had already left for the North but had not yet arrived in Pyongyang, Yonhap said in a report from Washington quoting a source familiar with the issue.

"As soon as he arrives, he will be entering negotiations with the North for the release of the female journalists," the source was quoted as saying.

South Korean Foreign Ministry officials declined to comment, saying any announcement would come from Washington or Pyongyang.

The journalists, Euna Lee and Laura Ling, were reporting for Current TV when captured near the border with China, and sentenced to 12 years of hard labor.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/as_nkorea_journalists_held

SEOUL, South Korea – Former President Bill Clinton met Tuesday with North Korean leader Kim Jong Il on the first day of a surprise visit to Pyongyang, with the "exhaustive" talks covering a wide range of topics, state-run media said.

Clinton "courteously" conveyed a verbal message from President Barack Obama, the official Korean Central News Agency said in a report from Pyongyang. Kim expressed his thanks, and engaged Clinton in a "wide-ranging exchange of views on matters of common concern," the report said.

Clinton was in communist North Korea on a mission to secure the release of Americans Euna Lee and Laura Ling, reporters for former Vice President Al Gore's Current TV media venture who were arrested along the Chinese-North Korean border in March and sentenced in June to 12 years of hard labor for illegal entry and engaging in "hostile acts."

His visit, which was not announced in advance by North Korea or the U.S., comes at a time of heightened tensions between Washington and Pyongyang over the regime's nuclear program.

North Korea in recent months has conducted a nuclear test and test-fired an array of ballistic missiles in violation of U.N. Security Council resolutions, with Washington leading the push to punish Pyongyang for its defiance.

The meeting with Kim would be the North Korean leader's first with a prominent Western figure since he reportedly suffered a stroke a year ago.

There was no word in state media on the status of Clinton's negotiations to secure the release of Ling, 32, and Lee, 36.

A senior U.S. official confirmed to reporters traveling to Africa with U.S. Secretary of State Hillary Rodham Clinton that the former president was in North Korea to secure their release, but said the White House would not comment until the mission was complete.

"While this solely private mission to secure the release of two Americans is on the ground, we will have no comment," White House spokesman Robert Gibbs said in a statement. "We do not want to jeopardize the success of former President Clinton's mission."

A couple things on this

1- I really don't like Clinton visiting. This is simply encouraging poor behavior on the part of the North Koreans. Next time they want attention, they'll just get their hands on a few Americans and sentence them to hard labor.

2- I am sorry for the victims, but they were very aware of what they were getting into and what they were risking before they set off. They did so anyways.

a couple things on this

1- i really don't like clinton visiting. This is simply encouraging poor behavior on the part of the north koreans. Next time they want attention, they'll just get their hands on a few americans and sentence them to hard labor.

2- i am sorry for the victims, but they were very aware of what they were getting into and what they were risking before they set off. They did so anyways.

+1.

A couple things on this

1- I really don't like Clinton visiting. This is simply encouraging poor behavior on the part of the North Koreans. Next time they want attention, they'll just get their hands on a few Americans and sentence them to hard labor.

2- I am sorry for the victims, but they were very aware of what they were getting into and what they were risking before they set off. They did so anyways.

Well, if #2 would take care of itself, then #1 should not happen.

Americans should not put themselves in a position where they can be "kidnapped" like this. Just like, I have little pity on the hikers who were kidnapped/arrested on the border of Iraq and Iran - 2 of the most dangerous countries to hike around.

If Americans wouldn't do this, then we shouldn't have to worry about #1.

I mean, N Korea is not hunting for Americans, beyond their borders, are they ?

A couple things on this

Thus the set-up. NK takes a couple of journalists that no one will feel for. The US sends an "unofficial" yet powerful envoy, which is a sign of respect. The journalists are freed, both sides claim victory and a path is opened for dialogue. Without Obama getting his hands dirty. I just feel this whole thing was choreographed from day 1.

Thus the set-up. NK takes a couple of journalists that no one will feel for. The US sends an "unofficial" yet powerful envoy, which is a sign of respect. The journalists are freed, both sides claim victory and a path is opened for dialogue. Without Obama getting his hands dirty. I just feel this whole thing was choreographed from day 1.

If this is the case and it does open up some meaningful discussion, I would think it to be a master stroke.

However, never trust Kim. Ever.

Diplomacy is a strange dance, that is for sure.

~Bang

What kind of security detail is Clinton allowed in Pyongyang? Is he there on his own? Surely they won't allow armed US security to be with him?

~Bang

I wonder if they'll make Clinton sit on this chair during negotiations?

AAAAAnlOBKcAAAAAAKR-FA.jpg

Archived