Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

2010 Califan Sig Bet (Under/Over List Now Closed).

Ok, so you're now saying that Campbell is NOT an "unquestioned starting QB"? lol...Make up your mind.

-No where did I say that?

And your question was about the fans' perception of "unquestioned starting QBs", NOT about the front offices' perceptions. I merely gave an extremely valid reason why the results of that poll were as low as they were. You can not discount the effect of Campbell being in his last year of his contract plus how Snyder and Vinny actively tried to get rid of him on how fans perceive his place on the team. Hell, half of the "JC supporters" who think he CAN be a franchise QB have been saying that he would be gone after this year even if he played like Tom Brady precisely for those two reasons. So the 43% who did not feel Campbell was the future QB of the Skins is definitely made up in part of fans who think his play will not be the reason he's gone.

-Why on Earth would someone support they think has no chance of being the future? That is completely nonsensical, and really crosses into the realm of cheering for a player not a team.

-And again, even if you guys think that JC wouldn't be the future, the majority of you are such homers that you would still vote him as the future, just so the poll wouldn't turn out as it did

-I am not denying there are factors beyond JC's play that have put him at 57%, but I don't think the factors you are suggesting are what caused fans to vote in the manner they did

Since there have been a few others who want to take part in the "Over" category, I will point something out...

Click on the emoticon at the bottom of my opening post lol :cool:

I put that there in case anyone caught on, as well as to show my intent. The link in my OP leads back to Mass_SkinsFans' infamous sig bet thread, where he claims the Skins will win no more than 4 games total, including the preseason. Read the opening post in the thread that link leads to, then come back and read my opening post again lol :D...

I thought about how MSF seemed to want to truly go out on a limb to show his negativity and pessimism, and how he created a sig bet that went further into the pessimism than even he would realistically go. I mean, 4 wins in 21 games? lol :doh:...no way in hell he really thought that.

So I thought I'd go out on a limb to express my positivity and optimism, even if what I'm betting will happen might be a bit more optimistic than I feel will happen in reality. Thus, I'm betting that the Skins will win at least 14 games this season, including the preseason (gotta stick with MSF's rules lol).

Also, if you looked through the huge number of pages on that thread, you might also find these statements by MSF in my opening post, with the tone changed from negative to positive:

There is no punchline. I don't do comedy or humor. This is completely and totally serious. As serious as a heart attack.
Very easily, folks. I look at a totally unproven coach, a QB who should never have been drafted, a trio of unproven rookie WR's, a total lack of a defensive secondary and line, and a number of other factors and just don't believe that this team has enoughs guts OR talent, never mind both to have anything even close to a winning season.
My premonition is 4-17. 1-4 in the preaseason and 3-13 in the regular season. We'll be fighting for the #1 Draft Pick by Thanksgiving Day.

I simply took MSF's statements and used them as my own in the OP and when responding to people over the first couple of pages lol ;)...

Anyway, if either of the two brave souls who joined in on the "Over" want to change their minds now, just let me know :thumbsup:...to quote MSF once more, when he was asked if anyone joined him on the "Under" in his bet, he said: "Nope. There was never intended to be."

I didn't think of whether or not anyone would join me on the "Over"...although it was definitely cool to see a few fans willing to take that risk in support of the team. :cheers:

-No where did I say that?

Then maybe you should have written your original statement differently...because the way it's written now you make it sound as if JC (and Russell and Collins) are all "unquestioned starting QBs".

-Why on Earth would someone support they think has no chance of being the future? That is completely nonsensical, and really crosses into the realm of cheering for a player not a team.

Because he's the Redskins starting QB now...and because they feel he CAN be an extremely effective and productive QB this year. My question would be, why NOT support JC, even if he has no chance of being the future?

I, for one, have NEVER let a player's chances of being extended or re-signed dictate whether or not I support them. To me, doing it that way would be the definition of a fan putting a player before the team.

-And again, even if you guys think that JC wouldn't be the future, the majority of you are such homers that you would still vote him as the future, just so the poll wouldn't turn out as it did

LoL...So wait...you're saying that the majority of JC supporters are such "homers" that they'd vote yes on that poll...so that the poll results would NOT end up the way they did? lol...So then how did the poll results end up the way they did? Or are you saying that JC supporters/homers did not vote in that poll? lol...Or are you saying that the 57% who said Campbell was the "future" is made up of non-homers?

-I am not denying there are factors beyond JC's play that have put him at 57%, but I don't think the factors you are suggesting are what caused fans to vote in the manner they did

And you'll notice that I never said that those other factors outside of his play were the ONLY reason the poll ended up the way it did. I said they were part of the reason. If you polled nothing but "homer" JC supporters on this site and asked them if JC would be here next year, you'd get a large number of them saying "no"...Snyder and Vinny made their intent known, and many feel Campbell will not want to still play here even if offered an extension.

Nah, it suggests that too many land lovers are anchored to the "safe" and predictable, and aren't adventurous like me :yes:...Cuddle up on your recliners and ***** about the weather while I'm sailing off to lands you only dream about lol :D

well i like you, so when your ship is eaten by the lochness monster, call me and ill bring my motor boat out to rescue you lol. :cheers:

Then maybe you should have written your original statement differently...because the way it's written now you make it sound as if JC (and Russell and Collins) are all "unquestioned starting QBs".

-They are all unquestioned starting QB's... My point is usually when there is such a low vote of confidence, there is an open competition in Camp

Because he's the Redskins starting QB now...and because they feel he CAN be an extremely effective and productive QB this year. My question would be, why NOT support JC, even if he has no chance of being the future?

-Because based on trends in history, no team with a QB who was tied for last place in TD's, has turned around the next season and won the SB with the same QB... Something tells me Campbell's, not gonna be the guy to break the mold... If we don't win the Superbowl, then we are simply setting ourselves back yet another year, because we will have to start developing a new QB... This will mean our entire offense line and offensive weapons will all be a year older, and that much more injury prone.

I, for one, have NEVER let a player's chances of being extended or re-signed dictate whether or not I support them. To me, doing it that way would be the definition of a fan putting a player before the team.

-If you can't win a SB with a player, and they aren't going to be around in the future, all they are really doing is taking valuable playing time away from players who could potentially be the future of the franchise... To support them in the starting cast is most certainly, supporting a player over the team

LoL...So wait...you're saying that the majority of JC supporters are such "homers" that they'd vote yes on that poll...so that the poll results would NOT end up the way they did? lol...So then how did the poll results end up the way they did? Or are you saying that JC supporters/homers did not vote in that poll? lol...Or are you saying that the 57% who said Campbell was the "future" is made up of non-homers?

-What can't you comprehend? Many of you have such blind faith in Campbell, that even if deep down below you know he won't be around next year, you would still vote yes on such a poll... Just cause it shows your blind optimism, much like this thread you have created... I am suggesting that your reasoning as to why he didn't get that many votes really doesn't make up a large percentage of those who voted against him, because even though you know he won't be around, you hate to allow the "doubters" the satisfaction of seeing such poor results in a poll.

And you'll notice that I never said that those other factors outside of his play were the ONLY reason the poll ended up the way it did. I said they were part of the reason. If you polled nothing but "homer" JC supporters on this site and asked them if JC would be here next year, you'd get a large number of them saying "no"...Snyder and Vinny made their intent known, and many feel Campbell will not want to still play here even if offered an extension.

-They may say no, but then ask them how they would actually vote in such a poll...

PUSH!!!! I think they're going to go 3-1 in the pre-season and then 10-5-1 in the regular season! To get to 13.5 wins! Can I get a push? :)

j/k.

Right. So I only bet in Vegas, and I just left Vegas, so I won't take any bet. And I REALLY don't take any bet that includes the pre-season.

General thought is that Califan did a really cool job flipping massSkinsFan's post. That was pretty classic.

No team is going to go 10-6 with an offense that scores 17 points per game. Which, btw, I don't think the 'Skins did last year. I think it was... ok,I really can't even type the number. But I believe it was under 17 by a couple tenths...

The thing is, the difference between ~17 ppg and 20 ppg is a figgie. And I DO think that there's a very strong possibility that the 'Skins have enough offensively to score one more freaking figgie/per game. Maybe that blind homerism. But I swear that they should be able to AT LEAST get one more figgie a game.

I happen to think that whoever takes over at RT will be a huge upgrade from Jansen. Dock is going to be a more athletic LG. Randy Thomas claims that he is being pushed by Rinehart. That's good. Kelly participated fully in the last mini-camp. Reports are that he is the big play guy, good speed and size, catches everything thrown at him down the field. That's good. The reviews on Thomas (so far) have been extremely positive. The reviews on Davis have been very positive. Portis/Moss/Sellers/Cooley should all be their usual selves.

I think that if JC can play mistake free football, with this cast around him, I think that there is a very good possibility to score ~24 points per game. Which is ~1 TD more per game than they had last year. Can he do it? I personally think he can. I'm basically asking him to play the way he did in the first 8 games of last year. Nothing more, nothing less. And if he does that, with what I believe to be a better supporting cast, I think that they have improved on offense enough to compete.

Do I think they're going to go 14-2? No. 12-4? Probably not. I am going to put them at the 10-6 mark. I think they have improved by ~2 games with the addition of some defensive play making ability, and additional weapons and experience on offense. If they average 20 PPG, they should get to 10-6. If they overage 24 PPG, they should get to 12-4, win the east and get a 1st round bye.

But I'm predicting 10-6, 5th seed in the playoffs, and a Zorn return to Seattle to play the Seahawks, who surprise everybody and win the NFC West. During that game, Zorn, will get so confused and have a flashback, he'll actually go out to take snaps as the Seahawks QB, with Matt H. looking on completely confused, and Haynsworth and Orakpo will bury him at the 35 yard line. :)

(ok, just kiding on that last part. But the 10-6 is my predicted record.)

-So you are basically admitting, you cannot view the Redskins objectively what so ever..

Knowing what I want them to do, what I feel like they can do and how they will actually do are very different.

I don't bet (for money) often, but when I do it's not on the skins. I am sure most on here want them to do better than 13.5 wins, most believe they could be capable of 13.5 wins, but most won't believe it until they see it.

So I can be a little objective, but not enough to really worry about it. I'm not at camp, so the things that are required to get the skins over the top, is out of my control. If the Oline, Thomas/Kelly and Campbell click, then I do believe this bet. The skins will want to test out their plays early and I believe they'll try harder in preseason then many teams, giving a 3-1 or 4-0 start possible. I hope for 10+ wins (in the playoffs without the end of season stress on my heart) so I take the over.

14-2.

just wow.

Redskins champsionship seasons tend to be rather lopsided in the win column.

Almost every facet of the team has improved.

QB - JC should be able to take the next step as learning is not the issue as much as executing. Todd Collins has been reported to have improved greatly, so should Campbell falter, the backup will be here to save the day, again.

RB - CP has enough in the tank. Backup RB is wide open for competition, so this should bring out the best in whoever wins. Sellers is fine.

WR - Kelly seems to have no more knee troubles as of yet and Thomas has worked hard this offseason.

OL - as has been recently reported, Dockery, Samuels, Williams, and Heyer were working out together in Arizona over the offseason conditioning themselves. This bodes well for the left side of the OL and RT. If Bridges should win the job, RT depth is still good.

DL - Haynesworth alone makes the whole defense better.

LB - Question mark still for OLB, but should Orakpo or Wilson make it or Thomas wins the job, it look alright.

Secondary - The departure of Springs will not be missed due to Hall, who should not be as prone to injury has Springs was. Horton has one year under his belt and Landry is poised to breakout. Rogers played well last year.

Then there's the matter of changes on other teams...

There's no more T.O or Plax in the division.

The Redskins had the least coaching staff turnover in the NFC East. The other East teams have a change in the defensive coordinators. Two likely for the worse. One arguably for the better.

Redskins champsionship seasons tend to be rather lopsided in the win column.

Almost every facet of the team has improved.

I hope we win 500 games this season.

That highlighted quote is amazing, though.

On D, our corners have been downgraded from the end of last season.

We kept Hall--very good. We lost our best in Springs, when healthy--bad.

Smoot is now a year older, and slower. Any injury to Hall or Carlos, and we are in trouble. That is not an upgrade.

On offense, our linemen are a year older, and a year more fragile.

Dock rated as the single worst starting guard last year in all of football.

Now hopefully someone steps up, like Heyer or the eating machine, but to say we upgraded there is a huge stretch. Can Rabach, Samuels and Thomas all stay healthy? Most couldn't last year. Now they are even more unlikely to do so with age.

Our RBs are a year older, and possibly slower. No upgrade there. Again, we hope someone new steps in, but CP and Betts aren't going to be any faster than they were last year.

QB? Who knows?

WRs? Who knows?

That doesn't sound like a 14-2 team.

10-6 would be fantastic.

I was talking about he positions in general rather than specific individuals.

Not seeing the field and tying up the cap space while doing < seeing the field for the whole season. That was the problem with Springs. Smoot did start last year because Springs was injured. Then there's depth. Tryon has been reported to have improved and Barnes should be a decent player.

Buffalo is one of those places players go to 'disappear'. Dock has chemistry with the linemen here.

Archived