Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Speeding ticket laywer

dockeryfan

I just got a 76 in a 55, and I'm trying to avoid taking a day off and going to court. (It's 3 points, I have to go). Clean driving record, etc etc.

Anyone ever hire a lawyer to argue a simple speeding ticket for them? If so, how successful were they and how much did it cost?

you were going 21 miles over the limit...which may be higher depending on how the cop wrote it (they usually knock it down to avoid a wreckless driving)

if its your first ticket the judge will probably give you PBJ if not then...i dont think even a lawyer could help you

(unless you're willing to pay a boatload, i'm not sure if you have access to a lawyer of that caliber)

Hiring a lawyer to go for you will not do you any better than going yourself, you'll spend more money on the lawyer and if he doesnt get it reduced or thrown out you'll spend more.. All a lawyer can do is contest the Radar/Laser unit and the distance.. If the unit was logged correctly than there is nothing a lawyer can do or say. It will be at the mercy of the judge to just throw it out or reduce it...

At least thats the way it works up here in CT..

I got a ticket while I was at Fort Bragg, NC. Normally when you get pulled over on a military installation you just pay through the MP's on post, but in my case I was going I believe 20 over so I had to go to court. SInce I didn't want the points and my insurance to go up I got a lawyer and I think I paid him $200. He represented me in court and I didn't get any points and my insurance stayed the same. The money I paid him also covered what the fine was if any. I called him after the court date and he said everything turned out fine.

Again, this was in NC, so I'm not sure how it is in VA, DC or MD.

I've only gotten on speeding ticket in FL. Going 55 in a 45. I hired some place called "The Ticket Clinic". It cost $85. They delayed the hearing twice and then the case got dismissed. Worked out well.

The points on your license will could cost you over $2K over the next two years...definitely get a ticket lawyer...

you were going 21 miles over the limit...which may be higher depending on how the cop wrote it (they usually knock it down to avoid a wreckless driving)

if its your first ticket the judge will probably give you PBJ if not then...i dont think even a lawyer could help you

(unless you're willing to pay a boatload, i'm not sure if you have access to a lawyer of that caliber)

This. PBJ for first time offense most likely. If it's been a long while since your last ticket, probably still a pbj and court costs which will be a hell of a lot cheaper then a lawyer. Wont show up on insurance at all. Just go to court, plead guilty and be done with it. While you're waiting you'll be entertained with stories from other people who got speeding tickets.

Go by the clerk of court office. See if there's a day where the DA handles traffic cases. Some days, the DA will sit in an office or court room, and people can go in and the DA will offer a lesser speeding charge. You still pay the fines and get the points, but it's a great way to knock a few MPH and charges off your ticket, and fewer cases the DA has to handle in court.

20 over is reckless, buddy. Well, it is in VA anyway. My first reckless, I got a restricted license for a month. It was only a month because the judge liked my previous driving record. Reckless is 6 pts.

I would think it would be much cheaper to go to court and pay the ticket than hire a lawyer. MUCH cheaper.

..., if you were speeding then just pay the ticket.
I'm pretty sure this is bad advice, unless you don't care about the points or the money.

I'd go to court. No lawyer. Plead guilty. The judge should lower the points and lower the fine. That's my experience. I live in Maryland.

You should have showed the cop a little Leg and flicked your tougue at him...

But my wife got a ticket for going 75mph in a 55 zone...She swears she wasn't going that fast( I had my skins flag and magnet on the car and we are in panther country) But we paid a lawyer 250 and he took care of it...She didnt even have to go to court.

I'm pretty sure this is bad advice, unless you don't care about the points or the money.

I'd go to court. No lawyer. Plead guilty. The judge should lower the points and lower the fine. That's my experience. I live in Maryland.

Good advice^^^^

Also from Maryland. Went to court, no lawyer, plead guilty.

Judge offered to drop points (2) for double the fine. ($50 to $100) Took the offer, and whistled a happy tune while paying the fine.

Disclaimer: This happened almost 30 years ago, on my only ticket, ever. Your prices may vary.;)

Since when in MD is over 20 reckless and you can be arressted? I'm pretty sure thats VA. Believe me, I have had at least half a dozen tickets 20+ over the speed limit, some even over 30 with no arrests or reckless driving tickets. I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure people are confusing that with VA.

Good advice^^^^

Also from Maryland. Went to court, no lawyer, plead guilty.

Judge offered to drop points (2) for double the fine. ($50 to $100) Took the offer, and whistled a happy tune while paying the fine.

Disclaimer: This happened almost 30 years ago, on my only ticket, ever. Your prices may vary.;)

They had cars back then?:silly:

Archived