Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

WT: For Skins' Williams, slimming down is a weighty matter

Leonard Washington

This another case of the front office being a joke. Man this cat has a bad back and is too heavy.

????

What does it cost us to see what this guy still has left. If he could come close to achieving the potential everyone thought he had years ago, it would be HUGE for us.

sorry to disagree, but the cost-benefit is heavily weighted in our favor (no pun intended :))

"the guy has about a 40% chance to make the roster and prob about a 10% chance to start."

I hope not. He's probably naturally better than our other tackles, and he could be very good depth.

Zorn had already said he has the best feet of all the other linemen other than Samuels.

How does this make the FO a joke. I'll hang up and listen to your answer.

The Skins O-line IMO stunk last year. As a long time Skins fan I've seen them at their best and their worse. What I sa in the 2nd half of last year was terrible. I don't think you can ever be too deep in the trenches. They go out get Docker who they let go. He's average at best. Now they go out and get Mike Williams n Dockery's suggestion. I stand corrected on that but thats the way I understand it. This guy left football because he had a bad back and was 400 pounds. Now the skins are talking about starting him because he as that itch I guess. Bridges was let go by his former team but I guess he's gonna perform miracles here. Stephen Heyer isn't a physical run blocker. Randy Thomas is older and constantly banged up. I'm sorry this O-line isn't that good to me. Picking up D players get you F results. Its a waste of time getting retreads. IMO you just don't half heartedly pick up players on an aging banged up O-line.

Oh and Chad Rhinehard 3rd rd draft pick couldn't get on the field last year despite the Skins having numerous injuries because the Skins didn't have confidence in him. Sound familiar? Sounds like the young WR's core.

They go out get Docker who they let go. He's average at best.

They didn't let him go, he was a FA and took one of the biggest contracts in NFL history for a guard, so they weren't going to pay for him. And obviously he was above average, but not worth that much. You don't make sense here.

Now they go out and get Mike Williams n Dockery's suggestion. I stand corrected on that but thats the way I understand it. This guy left football because he had a bad back and was 400 pounds. Now the skins are talking about starting him because he as that itch I guess.

How much did Mike Williams cost the team? I'm sorry, how much? Hmmm. Interesting.

They are talking about starting him because he is very talented. Have you not read any of the comments by the staff?

Bridges was let go by his former team but I guess he's gonna perform miracles here.

He was in legal troubles, but the Panthers were high on him. Talk to any Panther fan. He wasn't brought here more than to compete. What miracles are they expecting?

Stephen Heyer isn't a physical run blocker. Randy Thomas is older and constantly banged up. I'm sorry this O-line isn't that good to me. Picking up D players get you F results. Its a waste of time getting retreads. IMO you just don't half heartedly pick up players on an aging banged up O-line.

Oh and Chad Rhinehard 3rd rd draft pick couldn't get on the field last year despite the Skins having numerous injuries because the Skins didn't have confidence in him. Sound familiar? Sounds like the young WR's core.

Yes, the OL hurtin. Your take on Dockery is all wrong. Mike Williams is a cheap pickup with no back lash and everything to gain.

But back to my original question. How was signing Mike Williams a bad move?

What I would really like to find is some video of big Mike while he was playing with the Bills, I keep hearing from a friend that Mike Williams played really well for them until he hurt his back, and during this down time he put on all the extra pounds and never returned the same player.

We have some brilliant people on this site and I know someone can find some old game tape with big Mike starting; We could then see for ourselves.

Personally I really hope he makes it and God knows we sure need him to...:dallasuck

William Sheppard

So what if Mike makes the team and all he does is back-up for most of the year. Maybe we get him in on the short yardage/goaline teams. If we make more first downs on those 3rd down and short plays or get into the endzone wouldnt that in itself be worth it. Just think of all the times we got stopped inside the 3 yard line last year.

They didn't let him go, he was a FA and took one of the biggest contracts in NFL history for a guard, so they weren't going to pay for him. And obviously he was above average, but not worth that much. You don't make sense here.

<<I stated that Dockery was an average at best player. I mentioned nothing about how much he was making. Why are yo telling me about how much he made when he left? My point is that he's average. He's OK going str8 ahead but he's terrible out in space. In particular when he's pulling.>>

How much did Mike Williams cost the team? I'm sorry, how much? Hmmm. Interesting.

<<Once again I realize it costs nothing to get him thats obvious. My strong gut feeling is that he 's not gonna pan out. I think its a waste of time. Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe they should've tried to trade for, pick up or draft a suitable right tackle. Thats just me.>>

They are talking about starting him because he is very talented. Have you not read any of the comments by the staff?

<<Slim no offense but I have no confidence in the Skins brass ability to evaluate talent. I think the evaluators need to be evaluated frankly. I really think the Skins need a real GM to honest.>>

He was in legal troubles, but the Panthers were high on him. Talk to any Panther fan. He wasn't brought here more than to compete. What miracles are they expecting?

<< Bottom line he a maybe average guy at best. When I say miracles I mean if this guy is in fact their starter and he pans out, its a miracle. Even if that does work out, it doesn't mean it was the right thing to do, it means they got lucky.>>

Yes, the OL hurtin. Your take on Dockery is all wrong. Mike Williams is a cheap pickup with no back lash and everything to gain.But back to my original question. How was signing Mike Williams a bad move?

<< I feel the guy is damaged goods and a waste of time. How about this? Maybe the SKins should've traded for a bonafide pro bowler. Someone like maybe Jason Peters that the Eagles got. Ironically he beat out Mike Williams 3 or 4 years ago for his job. I mean the Eagles gave up a respectable 22 sacks and still were aggressive in wanting to upgrade their O-line. They also made another significant pick up on the Oline I think. My thing is I have no confidence right now in the O-line as it stands. Hopefully I'm wrong and all this is for nothing. Maybe you feel good by the moves they've made.>>

He is still a long shot, but his weight loss shows me something. He is willing to work very hard to accomplish a goal

Getting used to hitting and being in pads will be another thing all together. I don't expect him to be on the gameday roster until October/November at the earliest, and if he ever contributes, it will be next year

None the less, a very good start

My thing is I have no confidence right now in the O-line as it stands. Hopefully I'm wrong and all this is for nothing. Maybe you feel good by the moves they've made

Don't get me wrong. They have been letting this build up far too long. I wish they had addressed the OL too. Orakpo or OL? Tough call. Orakpo was a steal at that point. 3rd round, Barnes. I think it was a quality pick, but time will tell.

I hate the front office. But at the same time, this was a move they made that has no risk and with a ton potential.

<< I feel the guy is damaged goods and a waste of time. How about this? Maybe the SKins should've traded for a bonafide pro bowler. Someone like maybe Jason Peters that the Eagles got. Ironically he beat out Mike Williams 3 or 4 years ago for his job. I mean the Eagles gave up a respectable 22 sacks and still were aggressive in wanting to upgrade their O-line. They also made another significant pick up on the Oline I think. My thing is I have no confidence right now in the O-line as it stands. Hopefully I'm wrong and all this is for nothing. Maybe you feel good by the moves they've made.>>

First of all, the Bills were shopping Peters for picks...something we didn't have a ton of. The Eagles ended up giving up 3 picks - their first, fourth, and a late round 2010 pick.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9466866/Sources:-Eagles-trade-for-Bills-Pro-Bowl-LT-Peters

Secondly, the Eagles extended Peters' contract - $60 million, $24 million guaranteed. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80fd4b69&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true) After signing the best defensive tackle in all of football to an admittedly massive contract, the Redskins didn't have the cap room to extend Peters, which is what he was looking for, as well.

Pure and simple, we didn't have the ammunition to land Peters or any other great O-lineman that was being shopped around. I'm sure Danny could have traded the #13 pick to Buffalo and they would have ran with it...but, how many of us would be sitting back, criticizing our FO for "wasting another pick" and watching a player like Orakpo (who will be great, btw) go to another team in the draft?

First of all, the Bills were shopping Peters for picks...something we didn't have a ton of. The Eagles ended up giving up 3 picks - their first, fourth, and a late round 2010 pick.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/9466866/Sources:-Eagles-trade-for-Bills-Pro-Bowl-LT-Peters

Secondly, the Eagles extended Peters' contract - $60 million, $24 million guaranteed. (http://www.nfl.com/news/story?id=09000d5d80fd4b69&template=without-video-with-comments&confirm=true) After signing the best defensive tackle in all of football to an admittedly massive contract, the Redskins didn't have the cap room to extend Peters, which is what he was looking for, as well.

Pure and simple, we didn't have the ammunition to land Peters or any other great O-lineman that was being shopped around. I'm sure Danny could have traded the #13 pick to Buffalo and they would have ran with it...but, how many of us would be sitting back, criticizing our FO for "wasting another pick" and watching a player like Orakpo (who will be great, btw) go to another team in the draft?

That was just a suggestion I was saying. I've saying the O-line is aging. Stevie Wonder can see this. If the Skins have the same problems on the O-line this coming season I'm not trying to hear it from the Skins Brass. Their doing a good job putting the blame on other folks i.e JC when its them. No matter what QB is in there the Skins brass is gambling because their not seriosu about the trenches like they used to be. Thats how they were consistent back in the day so I guess thats why I'm so adamant now. They finally drafted a d-lineman in the 1sr rd after what 13 years? Thats ridiculous. FA's busts and making several picks in the draft they don't even feel confident in playing. And lets not even talk about wasted draft picks.

He is still a long shot, but his weight loss shows me something. He is willing to work very hard to accomplish a goal

Getting used to hitting and being in pads will be another thing all together. I don't expect him to be on the gameday roster until October/November at the earliest, and if he ever contributes, it will be next year

None the less, a very good start

I wouldn't consider him a long shot at all. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised if he was starting by regular season. Williams problem was never one of talent but of passion. The guy admitted a couple of times in interviews that he questioned his motivation for playing football. It seems the time away from the game allowed him to find his passion for the game again. And this guy isn't going to let his last chance to make something of himself in the NFL slip away. If he can keep himself from getting injured he is going to surprise a lot of people.

Once again I realize it costs nothing to get him thats obvious. My strong gut feeling is that he 's not gonna pan out. I think its a waste of time. Hopefully I'm wrong. Maybe they should've tried to trade for, pick up or draft a suitable right tackle. Thats just me.

trade for: no one good was on the block. we'd have to trade everything and the kitchen sink for a top-flight OT who wasn't being shopped.

pick up: you mean free agents? there were none available who were better than the ones we DID pick up.

draft: Orakpo was CLEARLY the best player available. you would rather we reach for Oher?

Slim no offense but I have no confidence in the Skins brass ability to evaluate talent. I think the evaluators need to be evaluated frankly. I really think the Skins need a real GM to honest.

it's not the front office or the scouts who are saying Williams looks good in OTAs; it's the coaches.

Bottom line he a maybe average guy at best. When I say miracles I mean if this guy is in fact their starter and he pans out, its a miracle. Even if that does work out, it doesn't mean it was the right thing to do, it means they got lucky.

so if it doesn't work out, it's their fault; but if it does work out, it's not to their credit? right. anyway, i can see this being said for Williams, who was a total crap-shoot, but Bridges has been a solid contributor for a while now. frankly, "average" would be an improvement from our RT situation last year, and i'm not convinced he's just "average" anyway.

I feel the guy is damaged goods and a waste of time. How about this? Maybe the SKins should've traded for a bonafide pro bowler. Someone like maybe Jason Peters that the Eagles got.

haha, Jason Peters, right. the guy flat out sucked last year, and he doesn't have the excuse of playing for the Raiders or anything. if he plays well this year, which is a BIG "if," then good for the Eagles, but there is no way i would have been happy with the Skins trading a 1st round pick for him, much less 1st+4th+2010 like the Eagles.

i'm not saying i like our O-Line situation. far from it. that said, with what we had (picks, personnel) going into this offseason, i think we did the absolute best we could have. i mean, yeah, i questioned some of the late-round picks, but no one really knows about those guys anyway. i would say that our lack of pass rush was as big a problem* as our O-line issues, and we went ahead and added the best DT in the NFL and the best pass rusher in the draft. that's awesome. our CB corps relied too much on the more-absent-than-present Springs, whose starting status was pissing off Carlos, so we got rid of Springs and picked up a very good CB prospect in Barnes. oh, and we locked up a 25yo former pro-bowl CB who has proven that he excels in our defense.

anything we could have done to improve our O-line would have had less of an impact and/or a greater cost than any of those improvements.

*- Note: when i say the pass rush was as bad as the O-line, i mean independent of the overall success of the offensive/defensive unit as a whole. the D was better than the O because everything BUT the pass rush played outstanding; pretty much everyone on offense played poorly in the second half of the season, although none moreso than the O-line.

For him to change his dietary lifestyle this drastically and lose this much weight speaks volumes for his dedication. He *will* make the team. He *will* start. He *will* make a lot of DEs and LBs look like effeminate boys out there. Portis will get whiplash trying to figure who's got a bigger lane, Williams or Dock.

Archived