Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Stan Hixon's Wikipedia Page

airs0ft3r

Thrash is known as being a avid film studier and giving attention to detail. If he could help the young guys in what to look for when studing oppoents,etc. that could go a long way.

One person who never got much credit as a coach was Charlie Taylor, but he developed several good (one in HOF) receivers.

Charley Taylor would have a lot more credibility with our receivers than Stan Hixon. Why not bring in a retired guy like Gary Clark or Charley Taylor. They cut Taylor because he was from the old regime. Not Taylor's fault.

I don't get the hype behind bringing in a guy with no coaching experience and thinking they'll be a better coach. I mean, I'm a big fan of Clark (my favorite Redskin all time), but what makes you think he'd be a good coach? He was a guy known for taking risks and winning more often than not. I don't know if I'd like my WR coach teaching that as a fundamental though. Does he even want to coach though? I sure haven't heard anything about it.

And what's Charley Taylor doing now? Did he even get a job after Turner fired him? And is he still fit to coach? I mean Buges is a coach now, but some think he's past his time. Does Taylor know the WCO or would we need to spend another year teaching it to him (and then another year to see how well he teaches it to out WRs)?

I'm all for Redskins love, but I'm not for bringing in a guy as a coach just because he was a good player. Or even just because he was a good coach in the 80's.

I really wish there was a better critique of Hixon so we could actually see how good (bad) of a coach he really is.

Thrash averaged 2 TDs a season in his entire tenure here but averaged about 13 TDs a season in the 3 years he had in Philly. That sickens me...

Cocaine is a helluva drug! Thrash has never sniffed 13 TD's in a season. It may have something to do with Hixon (I'm not defending him because I'm not a fan, I just don't think this is a very good example). Thrash was an undrafted free agent when he entered the league and he made our roster because he returned kickoffs for TD's in consecutive games in his first preseason. In Philly he was their starting receiver; he has never been higher than a 3 here unless an injury demanded it. He was on the roster as an incredibly hard-working veteran and and good example who excelled on special teams. I actually wish he would have been our punt returner last year as opposed to ARE - the one time ARE got injured against the Lions I believe (I think the season before this last) and Thrash went back there, caught it, and simply ran straight ahead for about 50 yards and almost scored.

But the difference in his numbers between here and Philly have much more to do with their WR corps as opposed to ours and not really much to do with Hixon.

You are right that sometimes former players do not always make good coaches. Great players who become coaches (ie Magic Johnson) can't understand why average players can learn how to be better. Don't know where Taylor is now. I think we could do better than the current receivers coach.

Archived