Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Buchanan: The Anti-Reagan

hokie4redskins

Buchanan is a particularly interesting guy to me. He has said things that just make my eyes roll, and the he has also taken positions and offered analysis that I felt was pretty cogent. Now that's not an unusual range of response for me, given I don't pigeonhole very conveniently for most folks, but the “distance” between some of Buchanan’s positions is fun fro me and I respect that kind of mental flexibility as long as the conclusions reached are still reflecting some reason and informed good judgment, which he can pull off. Same with Newt at times. Even the same with Al Franken lmao.

I view most of the Obama apologist stuff as overblown (significantly) but I don’t dismiss all purveyors of the point of view as automatically some kind of “anit-Obama nut job“---though many will inevitable be such because that’s what they’d need to do. I think the concept of being an apologist has to always be a matter of concern and debated.

For now, as I hear Obama’s dialogue on foreign affairs and o his trips to date, in all the relevant context, he doing about as well as I have seen anyone in a long time in presenting objective assessments (while still reflecting his party’s general leanings) and maintaining a balance in American posture between respect, self-honesty, fair critiquing, pride, strength, firmness of values, flexibility, and a genuine desire to work together fairly for everyone’s mutual benefit. It hasn’t been anything like perfect to my personal views, but it’s been pretty damn impressive to m so far. Interesting news going on in Iran today and how that plays out could be big.

techboy. A poster so nice, Jumbo named him twice. :laugh:

At my paying job, they have discussed hiring an intern to work nearby and be available to "take dictation" as a "pinch-typist" whenever I go for my keyboard as it would significantly improve important areas of productivity. :doh:

Jumbo, :nono: You forgot the libertarians (myself, SnyderShrugged, JLG, and a few others) :slap:

I couldn't get everybody, but I didn't forget libertarians,;). My list would't look like yours. :) Though I would be fine adding you and JLG. I put Hubbs in there as a libertartian (do I have him wrong?) and techboy.

I am an Independent, and we seem to be a rare breed these days. The biggest name I left out was Henry, but I deliberately left out all former and current staff. But it wasn't supposed to be 100% exclusivve list--just mainly conclusine.

Jumbo noticed you... you just didn't fall in that group. :silly:

(Me too though. :( )

See, even though I worded it carefully, I knew that would happen. Sigh. Anyway, I made two on-topic posts to limit any hijacking of this conversation, so help me with that--back on topic. :)

See, even though I worded it carefully, I knew that would happen. Sigh. Anyway, I made two on-topic posts to limit any hijacking of this conversation, so help me with that--back on topic. :)

I don't know, the thread might be a lost cause... BigMike is talking about the Shadow now. I'll try though...

I have to say, I was surprised by Buchanan's book excerpts. I have heard him make some comments that I've disagreed with strongly, on race I mean, but I never really considered him a racist.

Has he given any explanation for some of those comments? (I still think he's a bright guy and a true conservative that even I can respect.)

Buchanan is being a little too harsh on Obama here.

I agree with Obama 100% that we need to adopt a more respectful and humble tone in dealing with other countries. That being said, it does seem like he throws in the "good America" stuff to provide balance to mostly "bad America" stuff. His speeches should start from a viewpoint that America is good, instead of from a viewpoint that America is not all bad.

Buchanan is being a little too harsh on Obama here.

I agree with Obama 100% that we need to adopt a more respectful and humble tone in dealing with other countries. That being said, it does seem like he throws in the "good America" stuff to provide balance to mostly "bad America" stuff. His speeches should start from a viewpoint that America is good, instead of from a viewpoint that America is not all bad.

In other words, if the second half of a sentence were that important, wouldn't it be in the front? :)

Archived