Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Toe Jam hates: Wal-Mart

Toe Jam

haha good one.

When I worked at Target, we had to watch an anti-union video. It was pretty amusing.

My friends sister worked at Wal Mart and got fired for dating a co-worker. She was some sort of manager and he wasn't. Thats messed up.

It's the rule if she can directly influence any part of his employment. Such as if she was a front-end manager and he was a cashier. But if she was a front-end manager and he worked in produce, it wouldn't have mattered. Just depends on the specific situation.

If Walmart were a union company, the pay scale for my job would be a couple of dollars higher but the company could cut the benefits if they wanted so it would all equal out anyway.

Also, in a union situation, the person with the most time gets the promotion whether that person is the most qualified or not. Also, if someone is listed as working in the hardware department and he has finished stocking but the sporting goods guy is swamped, the hd guy can't be moved over to help for several hours. I like it better the way it is now.

It's the rule if she can directly influence any part of his employment. Such as if she was a front-end manager and he was a cashier. But if she was a front-end manager and he worked in produce, it wouldn't have mattered. Just depends on the specific situation.

I can understand the reasoning for this, but that is stupid. Until there is an issue, it shouldn't matter. If both parties take their jobs seriously, I see zero reason why there would be an issue.

I hate Wal-Mart. It has nothing to do with the fact I work at Target, either.

Ever go to Wal-Mart on a Saturday? It's insane. You can't find anything and when you finally do, the aisle is so full that you can't get what you came in for. Stupid.

Don't get me started on how they treat their employees. Monopolistic ****s. You're telling me one of the largest companies in the world can't give decent benefits to their associates?

This place sucks. I will NEVER step foot in a Wal-Mart again. I've seen the light. No more supporting this company. Ever.

It's a third world country. I could probably walk in right now apply for manager of the store and get it. It's unfortunate because I remember when Wal-Mart was a halfway decent store.

I rember about a year ago or so all these unions were pissed off at Walmart because they didnt belong to a union

The union seems to think if they discredit Walmart and drive sales down that the employees will want to sign with them. That's crazy. If their approach worked and corporate Walmart felt a pinch in sales then the employees stock, profit sharing and bonuses would go down. Who would want to sign with a group of people who are trying to pull the rug out from under them and literally take food off the table?

The only way the union will get Walmart employees to unionize is to show them the exact ways that a union would be the their benefit. And so far I haven't seen it. But driving customers away won't make Walmart employees like the union or trust them.

I could probably walk in right now apply for manager of the store and get it.

Actually, I doubt that's true. though I don't know your qualifications

Store manager at a high-volume Wal Mart is an extremely lucrative position. I know an average sized Target store is well over $100k for Store Team Leader, plus a very lucrative bonus on top. Super Target more- but Wal Mart is even more than that.

I wouldn't be suprised if it were well over $200k annual in many instances for a super-Wal Mart in the right market. I've heard unconfirmed rumors that the Store Manager of our local market makes well over $200k. Judging by the house he and his family occupy, I wouldn't doubt it.

My best friend's dad is the manager of Walmart in Charlestown, West Virginia.

Before that he was assistant manager at the Walmart in Winchester, Virginia.

Basically the people that are only hourly employees are the ones who get screwed. People who work for the company in other roles (administrative, logistics, etc...) do better to make a career for themselves.

I was told that Walmart encourages turnover (firings, quitting, etc.) in the hourly workers because they feel it keeps everyone on their toes and working hard because nobody knows when they may be fired for poor performance.

I also read Sam Walton's book in high school and couldnt believe some of his practices and his intentions with the company. And there actually was a Walmart once who privately unionized. And when Walmart Inc, found out, they made the decision to close the store. Look it up online if you don't beleive me.

All walmart managers are given what they call "a manager's toolbox", that teaches them and warns them about the union. They are also encouraged to look for signs that employees are trying to unionize, like having meetings at other employees houses, or for workers to start associating with each other who previously didnt talk. I've glanced through this book myself. Crazy stuff....

If you hate walmart there are many anti-walmart sites like www.walmartsucks.org where former workers/managers can write in and give their story...some of the stories are horrifying.

And there actually was a Walmart once who privately unionized. And when Walmart Inc, found out, they made the decision to close the store. Look it up online if you don't beleive me.

I doubt that a store unionized without corporate knowing about it. I can't imagine anything going on in one of the stores that the home offices doesn't know about.

The only store I remembering hearing about that unionized was one in Canada. Corporate said after several negotiation attempts with the union and trying to meet union demands that the store couldn't be run profitably so they closed the store.

Wal-Mart business model:

-Beat up your vendors about price. Insist on lower prices at all costs. If vendor has to sacrifice quality in order to lower standards, fine; that's their problem. (notice you'll never see any strong, good quality brands at Wal Mart. Nike. DeWalt. etc.)

-Keep shelves stocked at all costs. Pour resources into supply chain

-Don't worry about customer service. Customers aren't there for service, they are there for price. Dirty store? Dirty parking lot? Crappy merchandise? Not a problem. Americans are fat and dumb- they'll continue to shop here as long as they think we're the cheapest.

-Cover your ass at all times. This is more important than anything else you do. Avoid liabilities. Hassle customers as they leave the store, asking to search their bags (even though 90% of shrink is internal). If something spills, clean it up immediately. Not because it's the right thing to do, but because someone might slip and sue.

-Hire old people b/c they won't bug you about benefits or increased hours.

-Do bare minimum at all times. If you open Wal Mart in poor neighborhood, don't spend ANY money on facade. Cinder block with paint is fine. However, if you open in a nice part of town, use stacked stone and expensive building materials to fit in. **** the poor, they're used to things looking like ****.

-Work your managers 60 hours/week minimum. Why not, they're exempt. If they don't like it they can quit and we'll promote Cletus from Tire & Lube.

-Focus all training with employees and managers on liability control. What to do in the event of an accident. What to do in order to minimize cost. That's the only thing that matters.

Depends on which Wal-Mart you go to. I LOVE WalMart. You save money on EVERYTHING!!! I always laugh at when people say how they treat their employees. No one is forcing them to work their. They are offering jobs when your "mom and pop" stores aren't. Please, save the rhetoric. Great business model.

As far as the individual Wal-Mart, depends on where you go. The one in Germantown is awful. But I'm moving to Frederick and they have two that are both OUTSTANDING!

100% true story- happened 2 weeks ago.

A longtime employee of mine (10 years) had applied for an Asst. Mgr position at a Wal Mart in the Charlotte area. This is a fairly good paying job, keep in mind. Starts at about $65,000 annual. So we're not talking about a low-level or menial type position.

He uses me as a reference. Wal Mart calls me, here's what they say. (wish I were kidding):

1. Does "Johnny" pose a direct physical threat to those around him?

me- "you're kidding, right?"

them- "uhhh, no"

me- "the answer is no, he does not"

them- "thank you"

2. Would Johnny steal something given the opportunity?

me- " :doh: ".... "no"

them - "thank you"

Goes to show you what their motivations are, even at high-level management positions. CYA. Customer service? Work ethic? Attitude? Competence? Don't matter. And it shows. Go spend 5 minutes with your average Wal Mart Manager- or better yet- engage one in a store with an issue you're having. You'll see what I mean.

Actually, I doubt that's true. though I don't know your qualifications

Store manager at a high-volume Wal Mart is an extremely lucrative position. I know an average sized Target store is well over $100k for Store Team Leader, plus a very lucrative bonus on top. Super Target more- but Wal Mart is even more than that.

I wouldn't be suprised if it were well over $200k annual in many instances for a super-Wal Mart in the right market. I've heard unconfirmed rumors that the Store Manager of our local market makes well over $200k. Judging by the house he and his family occupy, I wouldn't doubt it.

You're probably right. I used to be an HR manager at a small CompUSA store and the store manager there made in excess of $90k. I was amazed at some of the manager salaries there.

I'm not going to argue other posters experience with Wal-Mart customer service, but to be honest, even at the most crowded WalMart here in Germantown, I haven't had an issue.

Long lines move fast.

Returning an item has never been a hassel.

The Site-to-Store section works smoothly.

Archived