Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Job hunting question

OrangeSkin

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to New York in the fall. I'm looking to get into publishing and she's trying to get work with a non-profit. My question is, we are currently in Virginia, and I am just trying to figure out the correct timing for job applications. I have a fairly well-paying job around here for the summer, and I'm saving money, so we're not going to move until September. Should I start applying ASAP and do phone interviews, or wait till later in the summer? I don't know how many places would wait for a recent college grad for 3 months, even with applicable experience. I just don't want to look stupid if I'm doing an interview, and I tell them I can't start until September, then again I don't want to wait too long so I'm under pressure to find a job. Any tips? Thanks.

PS, I know I'm screwed considering the economy, no need to remind me.

My girlfriend and I are planning on moving to New York in the fall. I'm looking to get into publishing and she's trying to get work with a non-profit. My question is, we are currently in Virginia, and I am just trying to figure out the correct timing for job applications. I have a fairly well-paying job around here for the summer, and I'm saving money, so we're not going to move until September. Should I start applying ASAP and do phone interviews, or wait till later in the summer? I don't know how many places would wait for a recent college grad for 3 months, even with applicable experience. I just don't want to look stupid if I'm doing an interview, and I tell them I can't start until September, then again I don't want to wait too long so I'm under pressure to find a job. Any tips? Thanks.

PS, I know I'm screwed considering the economy, no need to remind me.

Definitely start looking ASAP. Sometimes, even in a bad economy, jobs go unfilled even after the posting has expired. As far as actually applying, some jobs are seasonal and it's understood applicants might apply early. Maybe someone's retiring in three months.

I dunno about applying for current job openings, but I don't think cold-calling or dropping off a resume at established places that you know of would hurt. And learning what the job market is like where you're moving too would help later on.

Apply now. The job process takes so long anyway that by the time you get scheduled for an interview, go through your interview, get all your references checked, get the offer letter and actually sign it, you will be a lot closer to September than you think. Figure at least a month or two for the entire process and by the time that is done, they would only have to wait a month. Thats not a big deal for them and thats assuming you get the offer immediately.

I wouldnt wait to start the process. It often takes months or more to secure one that fits (especially given a relocation and that its in NY).

BTW, are you sure thats where you want to go? I think your opportunities might be a little more limited given the economy. Personally, I'd seek out a city that is more affordable to live while getting on your feet in a new life (Just my humble opinion)

Start as soon as possible...you've probably already missed the wave of recent college graduates, so there might be a lull in competition until summer semesters end.

It's always better to get out in front of these things instead of dragging your feet. Any job you have here for a couple months is a drop in the bucket compared to a potential first/next step in your career.

Thanks guys, I am trying to get into any kind of publishing, but I'd ultimately like to be an editor with a decent sized publisher. I'm going to apply for editorial assistant positions which I think I have a decent shot at since I got some good job experience while still in school. New York is definitely my best opportunity, since it's the center of the publishing world, plus I've always wanted to live there. Just a dream I guess, and it coincides with my real life goals. We've worked out some cheaper areas outside Manhattan where we can get a one bedroom at a reasonable price, like Astoria or even Long Island City. So hopefully it will work out, cross your fingers for us.

Archived