Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

1983 NFC Title game:Niners at Skins on NFL Network

DieselPwr44

I also get a kick out of the 49ers getting their asses kicked up and down the field for 3 quarters and Moseley missing a million FGs, yet they pull off a big 4th quarter and all you hear is how the 49ers got robbed, they were the better team, and that they should have won the game.

That game should have been 30something-0 entering quarter 4. Maybe worse. The 49ers were fortunate even to be within striking distance. They dominated the 4th quarter, certainly, but, last I looked, the game was 4 quarters long.

I can't watch that episode because of the 40-Whiners being all over the screen. I agree, if we had scored a couple of TDs or Mosley makes half of those field goals, the game is a route. A couple of clsoe calls go against them, and they act like they had no chance. The one with Monk, maybe. I think the ref threw the flag before the ball was seen as uncatchable. I might give them that one. The one on Lott, come on. He held Charlie Brown at the line and grabbed him around the neck. How is that not PI?? You want real bad calls in big games, talk to some Seahowk fans and a Super Bowl a couple of years ago. And Randy Cross...shut up. This is the guy who in '91, game three of the season said the Skins sucked and that the Cards would pull an upset. Skins 35 Cards 0. Did the refs give us that one too?? All the 49ers need to shut up. We beat the cr@p out of them that game and only missing FG gave them any glimmer of hope. Nuff said!

The call on the Monk play, I thought, was pretty good, since the defender kept hand-checking him without turning around to look at the ball. The last one was kind of lame, but the Skins were already in FG range. What Randy Cross doesn't talk about, with that mouth full of urinals, is the blatant non-interference call on a mugging of Monk on a sideline pattern earlier that would have pretty much sealed it.

The call on the Monk play, I thought, was pretty good, since the defender kept hand-checking him without turning around to look at the ball. The last one was kind of lame, but the Skins were already in FG range. What Randy Cross doesn't talk about, with that mouth full of urinals, is the blatant non-interference call on a mugging of Monk on a sideline pattern earlier that would have pretty much sealed it.

:cheers:

Thank you for bringing this up.

This game comes up from time to time and it burns me how the history that has been written (and frankly it was written the moment the game ended unfortunately) is that the Redskins benefited from two bad ref calls to steal this game.

Fact is, as you pointed out, Monk was clearly interfered with (no debate on it) one series earlier. Had that call been made, the Skins would have had a first down in 49er territory up by 7. Instead, we had to punt from deep in our territory and the 49ers tied the game on the ensuing drive.

At worst, the Monk call was a makeup for the blown first call so anyone bellyaching (cough Fortywhiner players cough) about it are selectively remembering that game and the calls in it.

The second call was a very good call. Lott had his hands on Charlie Brown past 5 yards from the LOS and the ball was in the air. True that Joey T was really just throwing the ball away and was not going to CB, but that's not the point. It's called illegal contact to touch a wide receiver past 5 yards and the ball is in the air. Good call in my book. But once again you are correct, the Skins were in FG range already so in terms of the attempt it didn't really matter. I think what the 49ers were crying about is that the Skins were able to have 3 more downs to burn the clock/force the 49ers to use timeouts and thus leaving Montana and company with very little chance to tie the game when they did get the ball back.

Overall, this game is an interesting one in Skins history.

First it's between the two top teams of the 80's.

But second, it's as if we get to see the Skins sort of "switch off" before our eyes.

They were the most dominant team in the NFL and dominated that game to the tune of 21-0 (and it should have been much much more) and then like a light switch everything turned off and the 49ers came roaring back. Didn't know it at the time but we should have known that this was a bad omen for SB18.

Also in some ways after 3 quarters of this game an end of a mini era occured, the Skins would never be as dominant as this team was for a season and a half (82 playoffs, 83 reg season, 83 playoffs vs. Rams and 3 qts vs. 49ers) for the next 8 years until 1991.

But for the most part, we were still really, really good. It is hard to be that dominiant forever. What I liked most about Gibbs 1 was not that we dominated so much, but that we were in the hunt all the time. No matter what, you had to say the Skins at least had a chance to do something. Now it is more hope and pray.

They were the most dominant team in the NFL and dominated that game to the tune of 21-0 (and it should have been much much more) and then like a light switch everything turned off and the 49ers came roaring back. Didn't know it at the time but we should have known that this was a bad omen for SB18.

Scruffy, how many FGs did Wershing miss? Show off that 80s Skins knowledge buddy! :D

This was one of the playoff games that I didn't see a lot of (the other being the Bears game in early 1987, which I missed all of as I was on an overseas trip). I watched the first half of the 49ers game when it was 7-0 and then had to go to work at a small nursing home which, if it had a TV, unfortunately was not tuned to the Skins game. I wound up calling one of those numbers where you could get the scores and when they said it was 21-0 early in the fourth I was very happy. But then a short time later I call back and it says its 21-21 and I'm frazzled. I call home to find out what the hell is going on and it was just as Moseley was lining up to kick what turned out to be the GWFG.

I wonder if I was the only one feeling deja vu when I watched a Patriots offense that had been unstoppable the whole season floundering against the Giants in the Super Bowl last year, thinking back to that bad day in Tampa in early 1984 when the same thing happened to our Skins.

They scored 531 points that year. WOW

And they had one of the most remarkable NFL team stats ever: an eye-popping +42 turnover margin.

Think about that for a moment - they were averaging 2.5 turnovers more than their opponents, every game.

For my money that team was the best Redskins team ever to take the field, and that includes 1991. They should have never lost that Super Bowl, and had they won it their legacy would have been among the best NFL teams of all time.

For my money that team was the best Redskins team ever to take the field, and that includes 1991. They should have never lost that Super Bowl, and had they won it their legacy would have been among the best NFL teams of all time.

Tough to say Redman. The 1983 team definitely was the best offense of the Gibbs years. Great run-stopping defense, but the secondary was suspect. I think two guys who were in our secondary in '82, Jeris White and Tony Peters, did not play with us in '83 due to holdout and drug-related stuff (don't know for sure). If those two had returned maybe we go 16-0 that year....and not to mention Moseley missed key FGs in the two losses.

Given that, I'm not sure if we could have prevented LOSING to the Raiders. We played them earlier in the season and needed a furious comeback at the end to beat them. I don't think it would've been a shock if we had just lost the game. What was the shock was the way we got out butts handed to us.

Wershing's misses were over 50-yards, very hard kicks anywhere, much less at our stadium with a weak legged kicker. Mosely missed from 45, 35 and 38. Not even comparable.

Scruffy, how many FGs did Wershing miss? Show off that 80s Skins knowledge buddy! :D

This was one of the playoff games that I didn't see a lot of (the other being the Bears game in early 1987, which I missed all of as I was on an overseas trip). I watched the first half of the 49ers game when it was 7-0 and then had to go to work at a small nursing home which, if it had a TV, unfortunately was not tuned to the Skins game. I wound up calling one of those numbers where you could get the scores and when they said it was 21-0 early in the fourth I was very happy. But then a short time later I call back and it says its 21-21 and I'm frazzled. I call home to find out what the hell is going on and it was just as Moseley was lining up to kick what turned out to be the GWFG.

I wonder if I was the only one feeling deja vu when I watched a Patriots offense that had been unstoppable the whole season floundering against the Giants in the Super Bowl last year, thinking back to that bad day in Tampa in early 1984 when the same thing happened to our Skins.

Yeah Yeah Yeah.

Mocking me now I see.:D

I really don't remember the exact number but I think Art is right.

I believe he missed two and at least one of them was from about 50. It's been a little bit since I've rewatched that game.

I do remember a little bit of when I was watching that game live. I was at home by myself. My folks and sister went out somewhere and I was just a nervous wreck. At this point in time, unless it was Dallas, as far as I was concerned there was nobody else in the Skins class so I couldn't believe that SF had come back like they did. I told this story before, being that the two losses that season were on MNF, I did not see the second halves of either game because it was a school night. So for me, I had not seen the Skins actually lose a game in over a year (Dallas 1982).

What I distinctly do remember is the relief after Moseley hit the FG and my folks and sister came home soon after and I told them matter of factly (I was so spoiled as a Skins fan at this point and just expected them to win every game) "The Redskins are going back to the Super Bowl" like it was ho-hum and my sister, who was learning piano at the time, started playing Hail to the Redskins (it was one of the songs that was taught to students to learn in her class).

Ah good times.

A couple of things here.

We scored 541 points, not 531. We were +43 in TO ratio, not 42.

Werching missed from 55 on his first attempt and the other was from around 50. He slipped both times. It should have been 27-0 entering the 4th quarter. I could see Mosely missing the 45 yarder, but not the other 2. He missed from 41 when we recovered the punt. At 27-0, I think the Niners score once or maybe twice, but I think we put the game away.

Archived