Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

How do you address people on Cover Letters for jobs ?

Mickalino

If it's an email cover I don't bother I just start. If it is a traditional letter, then I call the office and I ask them who will be receiving it. Usually, most places are cool enough to tell me. That way it looks like you've done a little research. The reviewer probably won't really notice, but the more specific you can be the better.

If it's an email cover I don't bother I just start. If it is a traditional letter, then I call the office and I ask them who will be receiving it.

By traditional letter, do you mean by mail, or in person ?

How about Faxing ?

Yeah, anything that involves a hard copy I address to a specific someone if possible. Reason being, it could float or get lost and I want them to think that I do my homework or know someone and that's how I got their name. With email it's a little different. Email generally goes directly to the person responsible unless it's a big company with a large hr department. Besides, I don't address the person in most of the emails I send out and so I think the protocol/expectations for emails is a bit different.

No cover letter is the best way to go.

I'm on the hiring team at work and for the most part don't do it!

However,if your are responding by E-Mail only.The 2nd time you should know the people's name.

Then address the main person and say that you are looking forward to work for this company etc.

A lot of times I research who the hiring person is and address it to that person.... so it's like Dear Mr. Smith: or Dear Ms. Jackson:

This is the correct answer, it's real simple to find out. Call, tell them why you are calling, ask for the persons name, they might patch you through, if they do, schedule the interview, if not send your resume with a properly addressed cover letter.

This is the correct answer, it's real simple to find out. Call, tell them why you are calling, ask for the persons name, they might patch you through, if they do, schedule the interview, if not send your resume with a properly addressed cover letter.

This is a LOT harder than everyone is making it seem.

Prospective employers purposely make it difficult to reach the person responsible for hiring, because they don't want to be bombarded with 100's of wannabe's asking dumb questions.

Have you ever noticed how many ads say "No phone calls'.

The reason I stated, is a big reason why.

And even the ones that don't say "No phone calls" generally seem to cringe when you call them.

And even the ones that don't say "No phone calls" generally seem to cringe when you call them.

I love when it says No phone calls. I HATE calling anybody. I would much rather email.

Go to their website. Look for Human Resources. Find the head of human resources and address it to him or her.

If they have no website listed on Craigslist, why would you want to work for them anyway? Sounds scammy to me.

It's easy for me personally because in California all the teaching jobs are listed on one search engine-type website and if you want to apply for a certain job, it gives you the contact person.

If it's an email cover I don't bother I just start.

Speaking of which, does anyone think it's weird that people "sign" their emails....like a non-formal, personal email from someone you've known a while.

as if you're like, "thanks for letting me know, otherwise I wouldn't have known it was you writing"

Archived