Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Watch out for Fred Davis next season

vigilante

I like your thoughts about this but we always heard how damn good Taylor Jacobs was in practice and we see how that worked out. Unless Cooley gets hurt (knocks on wood) I dont see him getting in the line up a ton over our pro bowl tight end. The potential seems to be there but year after year of expecting big things out of players I hear having great practices I just kind of have given up on expecting things before the season starts. I have started to take a wait and see approach these days after being burned year after year.

In before "Don't sleep on Davis" jokes.

Personally, I don't see how a backup TE could have a huge impact on a team.

Because the WCO can use a 2 pass catching TE variant instead of a 3 WR with a slot as a package.

Also, you can line Davis up at Split End.

This of course is all contingent on Davis, as well as Kelly and Thomas, stepping up their game in year 2.

Because WCO can use a 2 pass catching variant instead of a 3 WR with a slot as a package.

Zorn mentioned 2 TE sets last year when we drafted Davis. I am hoping the reason we never saw that is because Davis was still learning and now that he has had a year to learn the playbook we can see that in action. As much as we hear about how good Davis is it would be retarded for us not to throw him and Cooley out there together. From all the talk of Davis it would be a deadly combo. But again I will believe it when I see it happen.

Because the WCO can use a 2 pass catching TE variant instead of a 3 WR with a slot as a package.

This of course is all contingent on Davis, as well as Kelly and Thomas, stepping up their game in year 2.

He could have an impact...but I don't think it will be a HUGE one. I can't think of a single backup TE in recent history that did so, regardless of the system.

I've read a couple articles claiming how good he looks in practice. I think we'll have a great offensive arsenal next season if he produces :logo:

Does anyone else think we have a potential star in the making?

Lots of guys look great in practice and stink in games.

He could have an impact...but I don't think it will be a HUGE one. I can't think of a single backup TE in recent history that did so, regardless of the system.

I guess you don't remember the Patriots teams from 2002-2006 or the Cowboys with Fassano and Witten.

WCO is about spreading the ball around to multiple receivers, be they FB, WR or TE. When everyone gets their heads around the playbook, it will be alot more obvious than it is now.

And, then are lots of folks who look great in practice as well in the real game.

One way to know for sure, put him in the game ... and, see what he can do.

Enough of this speculation of what he can or cannot do. Let his actions on and off the field do the talking.

It's ignorant to say that a 2nd TE can't have a huge impact.

I can tell you this, if he looks to be one of our top 4 pass-catchers, he'll be out there much more often than a #3 WR!

I actually prefer Thomas, Moss, Cooley, and Davis as a core lineup. I think it poses major match up issues for the defense (if Davis has improved and taken the next step).

I think this is what could take Campbell and this offense to the next level of production, especially in the redzone.

Personally, I don't see how a backup TE could have a huge impact on a team.

There is room for it in our offense. We can spell Cooley with him without losing anything, we can play two tight end sets, and we can play him in the slot or even out wide if we wanted to.

Few teams in the league have as talented a pair of receiving tight ends, maybe the Cowboys but there aren't many others. The Giants might have a good set now too, and the Eagles will if Celek and Engram both pan out.

We are seeing more and teams, especially within our division place an increased emphasis on the position in the draft, even when they already have proven starters. For once, I'm glad the Redskins are on the leading end of a trend.

Perhaps the reason two tight end sets haven't been as prevalent in the NFL lately is because teams haven't had the personnel to run them well.

And also remember, with an emphasis turning to rushing the passer and the rise in 3-4 defenses that use creative blitzing schemes, having two great tight ends allows you to get bigger and better at picking up the blitz on the field, rather than sticking with 3 wide or a fullback. You can make adjustments with your talented pass catching tight ends on either side, having one pick up the blitz and the other one run routes depending on what the defense is doing, and still have favorable match-ups either way.

The tight end has come to replace the full-back and it's role in today's NFL because of the greater versatility of the position. And good tight ends are very hard to find--that's why there are only a handful of them. From the body type and athleticism, to the skill set (catching like a receiver, blocking like a lineman) they are rare players.

We have the potential personnel to do a lot of things in the passing game, we just need to demonstrate the forward-thinking creativity to use it.

I guess you don't remember the Patriots teams from 2002-2006 or the Cowboys with Fassano and Witten.

WCO is about spreading the ball around to multiple receivers, be they FB, WR or TE. When everyone gets their heads around the playbook, it will be alot more obvious than it is now.

Very true, I forgot about the Patriots before they lost Daniel Graham. I think they spent a first round pick on him and then another first rounder on Ben Watson two years later and they were able to get a lot out of both. That's probably why Tom Brady was able to flourish without great receivers even after their running game took a steep decline.

The difference with us is that I think the Cooley/Davis combo has the potential to be even better than that combo, even if Tom Brady isn't our QB. I would love to see what we could do with them both if Davis realizes his vast potential. Imagine the jumbo sets we could run with them and Sellers. On the goal-line, we will be very tough to defend.

Right off the top, I can think of five good ways to get Cooley and Davis on the field together. And, as much as I hate to admit this, Jim Zorn might know more about running an offense than I do.

I think Fred can be a monster against LB's, and I can't remember what Taylor did in college (if he did well??), but Fred actually performed in college, he was the Mackey (however it is spelled, I had a brain fart) award winner, they should use him some at FB, and some as a WR, he is very athletic, he was a WR in HS before going to USC, they told him to play TE...

The main thing I envisioned with Davis is that he'd be great for a red zone offense, particularly when our strength is running the ball. Being able to put two TEs on the field who are a threat to catch the ball can be a pretty sizable advantage.

Archived