Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Resume Thread

MattFancy

I figured this would be a good thread for people to post questions they have about their resume or writing a resume.

I have a question for the ES faithul. If you were fired from a job, should you still put that job on your resume and just explain why you were fired or just not put it on there at all?

was that a staples commercial where the boss is lookin at all his workers and is like

"(name) keep not living up to your resume"

or something like that

that should be your goal

yeah you dont have to put it. If its something that would likely prevent you from getting a job just dont put it

Well I got fired for texting at work lol. I've had and internship and a full-time job since then. So you would still say no?

Yeah, that may not looks so good on a resume. And I sure am glad it's not like that where I work. I would have been fired LONG ago. All I do at work is text and talk on AIM.

Depends on how long you worked there, how relevant it is to the job you're applying to, and what exactly you were let go for.

Almost a year. I was an Accounts Payable Clerk on campus at Towson. It was a part-time job while I was in school. And it was for texting lol. No lie

Almost a year. I was an Accounts Payable Clerk on campus at Towson. It was a part-time job while I was in school. And it was for texting lol. No lie

If it was a part-time job in college you don't have to put it on your resume. But employers are looking for some sort of experience so if you didn't have any other jobs or internships at the time you may want to leave it on your resume and not say that you were fired unless they ask you specifically.

If it is not relevant work experience, I would not put it. I agree you do not want employment gaps but if you were in school at the time, that thoroughly explains the gap. If the experience is relevant then I would put it. Experience is important when you are starting out and every little bit helps.

Nope just the dates.

Yea, if you are 23 I would list it if you worked there for at least 6 months - a year. I currently list the two part time jobs I had in college (one for 2 years and the other for a year), but the first job I only list the dates and an award I won there. It will probably come off after I leave my current job though since it really doesn't add any value aside from the fact that it shows I worked through school, and that's something I can mention in an interview if need be.

Its kind of relative experience since I have a business degree. Like I said, since that job I've had an internship and a real full-time job that I have now. I just wasn't sure if I should list it or not. If I list it, it looks like good experience, but if they ask why I left I would have to explain. If I don't list it, I lose a little bit of experience, but I don't have to explain why I was fired. I just can't decide what to do lol

Again, I would be shocked if the person interviewing you looks down your resume and decides to ask you why you left a part-time college job. I would imagine most kids leave those jobs at the drop of a hat (workload gets to be too much, to go to spring break, etc.).

Do what you want, but I'd put as much relative experience as you can on your resume and just be ready to diplomatically answer the question if it happens to come up (which it won't).

I interview candidates all the time and can't, for the life of me, figure out why I'd ever ask someone why they parted ways with an employer from 3 jobs ago...

I interview candidates all the time and can't, for the life of me, figure out why I'd ever ask someone why they parted ways with an employer from 3 jobs ago...

That's what I was looking for! Basically if anyone has had the question come up and such. My job right now that I have, I verify employment for our employees. Sometimes the people ask about why they left the company and if they are re-hireable. Our company policy doesn't let me answer those 2 questions. I don't know if thats the same for all.

Like I said, I've had to jobs since then so I don't think they would ask me, but I just wanted to get some advice on wether or not to put it on there and have to worry about it.

Again, I would be shocked if the person interviewing you looks down your resume and decides to ask you why you left a part-time college job. I would imagine most kids leave those jobs at the drop of a hat (workload gets to be too much, to go to spring break, etc.).

Do what you want, but I'd put as much relative experience as you can on your resume and just be ready to diplomatically answer the question if it happens to come up (which it won't).

what about on an application? they sometimes ask why you left your job

i had put before that i left for my internship since i started it right after. would that be ok, or put i was laid off?

on your resume, I would put neither to be honest. Just the dates you worked at each location.

If they call your previous employer, the only information they could give out by law is your position, and the dates you worked there.

on your resume, I would put neither to be honest. Just the dates you worked at each location.

If they call your previous employer, the only information they could give out by law is your position, and the dates you worked there.

right, i just would but my dates on the resume. but i was talking about the application. i know most places ask why you left your job. it seems that i should leave the job on my resume according to most on here. and i could just put on the application that i left to find an internship because in order for me to graduate from towson, i had to have an internship.

I review resumes all the time as part of my job, and also interview potential candidates for internships. Most are juniors or seniors in college. MANY of them (probably close to 50%) have a resume longer than 1 page. WTF! That is the first thing I learned about Resumes, back in HS, that it is NEVER over 1 page unless you have an amazing reason. Needless to say, most of these college kids don't have an amazing reason.

I review resumes all the time as part of my job, and also interview potential candidates for internships. Most are juniors or seniors in college. MANY of them (probably close to 50%) have a resume longer than 1 page. WTF! That is the first thing I learned about Resumes, back in HS, that it is NEVER over 1 page unless you have an amazing reason. Needless to say, most of these college kids don't have an amazing reason.

so what would you recomend for me since you have experience looking over resumes?

Archived