Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Smoot And Barnes' "Old" Comment lol (Wash. Times Quote)

Definitely a competitor, but he's our glaring weakness at corner. I can't tell you how many times I've seen him get burned. He's almost an automatic first down at this point.

And yes, I do love me some Smoot, was pissed when he left, thrilled when he came back, and still want him around. I just don't want him to be viewed as a starting corner anymore (assuming 4 DL, 3 LB, 2 CB, and 2 S)

Constantly getting burned? he got beat deep one time against Pittsburgh last year..i dont get why so much hate for the smootster. the guy didnt give up a touchdown for 3 straight years as a skin. in 07 he had like his best games specially down the stretch shutting receivers down for example Plaxico.

Constantly getting burned? he got beat deep one time against Pittsburgh last year..i dont get why so much hate for the smootster. the guy didnt give up a touchdown for 3 straight years as a skin. in 07 he had like his best games specially down the stretch shutting receivers down for example Plaxico.

When we needed a stop on third and six, it was converted.

Who was the throw targeting?

Fred Smoot.

Again, I love the guy, but he's not Mr. Reliable.

see thats the think that sucks about being a corner. maybe they converted on him like 5 times in a matter of weeks but people think it happened all year. when a mistake is made by a corner everybody sees it. carlos got burned by a bengals receiver, Hall got burned more than once at the eagles. stop pickin on smoot! lol

see thats the think that sucks about being a corner. maybe they converted on him like 5 times in a matter of weeks but people think it happened all year. when a mistake is made by a corner everybody sees it. carlos got burned by a bengals receiver, Hall got burned more than once at the eagles. stop pickin on smoot! lol

It's happened FOR years. Nobody, especially I, wants to point out negatives about a favorite player. He's just not the best corner.

Am I the only one who hears Smoot's voice while reading his quotes?

HAHA. Me too man. I thought I was the only one. Literally every time I read a Smooty quote, I hear his country ass voice in my head.

In defense of Barnes, Smoot is getting up there. And he has recently earned the nickname of "First-down Freddy."

But on the other side, in the defense of Smoot, he is an established veteran who has gotten it done before and can still play.

I actually am pretty high on Barnes. He was going to be a second rounder if it weren't for his shoulder injury. Over the last two years we have gotten SIGNIFICANT younger at key positions . . . and that's never a bad thing. Barnes has the talent, and I think he will turn some heads this year.

It's happened FOR years. Nobody, especially I, wants to point out negatives about a favorite player. He's just not the best corner.

I don't get what your point is here.

No one here (or at least the posts I read) is saying he will be a starter. In 2007, we did not sign him to be a starter.

In 2009, we are not expecting him to be a starter. Him getting burnt will happen. But I have not seen many games where Smoot (as a Redskin) was burnt often. Am I saying he is a pro bowl corner? NO!

But he is very good in the role he has here. You also need to examine the plays he was burnt on. Was an assignment missed by someone else? Was he playing straight man? Or was he in a zone? I mean so much goes into getting beat deep.

Champ used to get torn apart by Toomer. Does that make him bad? Sometimes things aren't the way they seem.

I have to say... Nearly a non-existent pass rush will make most corners look like scrubs. It's impossible to cover a nfl wide receiver for as long as they were needed because of the defensive line. The way a player is "burned" is on fly routes and that's only in bump and run coverage.

:cool2:

I don't get what your point is here.

No one here (or at least the posts I read) is saying he will be a starter. In 2007, we did not sign him to be a starter.

In 2009, we are not expecting him to be a starter. Him getting burnt will happen. But I have not seen many games where Smoot (as a Redskin) was burnt often. Am I saying he is a pro bowl corner? NO!

But he is very good in the role he has here. You also need to examine the plays he was burnt on. Was an assignment missed by someone else? Was he playing straight man? Or was he in a zone? I mean so much goes into getting beat deep.

Champ used to get torn apart by Toomer. Does that make him bad? Sometimes things aren't the way they seem.

I was just saying that Smoot isn't exactly starting caliber. Others disagreed. I'm arguing with them. And Smoot was picked on for a reason; he's willing to give up a first down in order to play deeper and prevent a touchdown, and that's what you're usually doing in nickel or dime.

When I said burnt, I made a mistake in word choice. I meant that he gives up first downs like we give up draft picks.

I was just saying that Smoot isn't exactly starting caliber. Others disagreed. I'm arguing with them. And Smoot was picked on for a reason; he's willing to give up a first down in order to play deeper and prevent a touchdown, and that's what you're usually doing in nickel or dime.

When I said burnt, I made a mistake in word choice. I meant that he gives up first downs like we give up draft picks.

I won't discuss this anymore after this post, but one do you have any stats or information to backup that he repeatedly was giving up first downs? I am not saying you are wrong, but I also do think you are over reacting to a couple of plays stuck in your head.

Also, our system for years was to play off the WR in order not to give up the big play. You cannot blame Smoot if he is told to do what he did.

But I would love to see stats on how many times he was targeted on third downs and how many first downs resulted out of those targets.

I won't discuss this anymore after this post, but one do you have any stats or information to backup that he repeatedly was giving up first downs? I am not saying you are wrong, but I also do think you are over reacting to a couple of plays stuck in your head.

Also, our system for years was to play off the WR in order not to give up the big play. You cannot blame Smoot if he is told to do what he did.

But I would love to see stats on how many times he was targeted on third downs and how many first downs resulted out of those targets.

I don't have stats, but it is from watching the games and noticing trends. I'm not a stats guy. And I'm not saying that he starts off the ball; I'm saying that catching Smoot with a hook or comeback route is easy, and that's what gives up the first downs.

I saw him on WPL when he made that statement and he didn't say it in a disrespectful way.I don't know if Fred has seen it? Or did some reporter from the Post ask him what he thought of Barnes' statement and this is his reaction? Anyway I am looking forward to seeing Barnes out there soon.

I don't have stats, but it is from watching the games and noticing trends. I'm not a stats guy. And I'm not saying that he starts off the ball; I'm saying that catching Smoot with a hook or comeback route is easy, and that's what gives up the first downs.

Apply a pass rush and all the CB's will look better. It's hard to defend routes when the teams QB's can sit back and have a 14 course meal and then throw the ball. I am thinking that AH, BA will make this a feared line that will get after the QB's and make them either throw away or take the sack or throw an interception. :saber:

Apply a pass rush and all the CB's will look better. It's hard to defend routes when the teams QB's can sit back and have a 14 course meal and then throw the ball. I am thinking that AH, BA will make this a feared line that will get after the QB's and make them either throw away or take the sack or throw an interception. :saber:

Eh. I went to pretty much every game in 2006 and every one in 2007. He always plays the same way. He chooses the safer route, but he gives up the first down.

Rogers and Hall don't have this problem. Can't blame it on the line.

If he can catch a football He is already better then" Hands of stone " smoot!!!

I don't know if Smoot has hands of stone. When's the last time he tried to catch the ball with his hands? It's always the 10 year old style scoop.

The instant the kid said that I began to laugh, I totally knew Smooter would undoubtedly have a comment or ten about that quote.

Too funny.

I’m sure he was joking, but dang, those comments seemed a little like fightin words right?

If he can catch a football He is already better then" Hands of stone " smoot!!!

"Hands of stone" Smoot?...

Smoot has 21 INTs in his first 8 seasons. Darrell Green had 24 INTs in his first 8 seasons.

Smoot has averaged 2.6 INTs per year over his career. Green averaged 2.7 INTs per year over his career.

Would we say Darrell "Hands Of Stone" Green? lol

he didn't sound like he meant it in a bad way. he definately doesn't sound worse that tryon sounded last year, and smoot kinda stood up for tryon tellin everybody to leave him alone and not to make a big thing outa this.

Smoot, but this new kid is younger, stronger, taller, and probably quicker that Smoot. All Smoot has on him is his motor mouth. If I were Smoot, I'd be doing less talking and more preparing so I don't get demoted to dime corner.

are you suggesting this guy starts off the bat higher on the depth chart than Smoot.

This kid hasn't played a down in the NFL and is a 3rd rounder yet to prove anything.

Archived