Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Pick the Best GM in the NFL (if you could choose one to be the Redskins GM)

redskin_fan

What do you think of the new site?  

63 members have voted

1. 1. What do you think of the new site?

• Amazing
    • Cool
    • Could be better
    • A letdown

This poll is closed to new votes

But, Vinny selected Colt :doh:

Selecting him vs. developing him to become an NFL caliber QB are two different things. We don't have a GM that can help us develop a team that is a consistent winner. ....and I don't think we will until Dan Snyder sells the team.

Bill Polian, Ozzie Newsome, AJ Smith, Scott Pioli, and Bill Parcells really stand out from the rest of the crowd. Jerry Reese threw together an amazing 2007 draft but Ernie Accorsi probably deserves a little more credit for the current state of the Giants.

If I had to pick one it would probably have to be Polian but it's a close call.

• 5 months later...

I'll take Bill Polian:

NFL Executive of the Year award 5 times

Built the Bills, Panthers, and Colts into contenders

And he's not afraid to go against the grain and gamble, coming out on top pretty much all the time. Manning over Leaf. Edgerrin over Ricky Williams, taking Reggie Wayne in the 1st round in 2001, etc. Plus he can find guys off the scrap heap who fit perfectly into the Colts' scheme as Pro Bowlers.

Ozzie Newsome is pretty good as well obviously.

If Dan Snyder had any ounce of intelligence about turning the Skins around, he'd hire Chris Polian, Bill's son and the current VP of Football Operations for the Colts, to be the Redskins GM. Only problem is that the Colts are trying to keep him around to take over for Bill one day.

I'm the first person to pick Ted Thompson. Outside of the Favre debacle he's been pretty damn good. The vast majority of their roster is homegrown. The few FA moves have generally been successful. He seems to have done the most, with the least.

I went with the New Orleans guy Loomis. You've got to say they're an exciting team and been built up pretty much from scratch. My first impulse was Ozzie Newsome but he has too much history with the Browns for us to get him. Pioli just hooked up with the Chiefs. And as good as he is I just don't know if I could stomach Parcells. Another team that has been accumulating players and is on the rise is the Texans.

Heck, I'd take the job. At least I have enough sense that you build up the lines first and worry about the skill players later.

I picked the Patriots FO that thing is run like a well oiled machine I find it amaziing how they can just go out and get pieces to replace older ones and keep it going.

It all starts with Brady. Players like Drew Brees Payton Manning Tom Brady and even Big Ben make their teams better. The whole team plays as hard as possible because they always feel like they have a shot with their QB.

It all starts with Brady. Players like Drew Brees Payton Manning Tom Brady and even Big Ben make their teams better. The whole team plays as hard as possible because they always feel like they have a shot with their QB.

I agree for a good team in todays NFL you need a franchise QB, But as we have seen with Matt cassel is the Pats system they still are able to plug in players and excel and the FO also backs the coach 100% he was allowed to trade richard Seymor to the raiders for a 1st round pick Could you imgaine the fury of our FO if a coach came in here and tried to trade some of our many underacherviers? The Pats are a class organization in the league and are one that I hope the redskins are able to emulate once Dan is gone.

This is the first time I've seen this thread, so why is it telling me I've already voted, and will not allow me to vote??

My choice would be Ozzie Newsome. He knows how to draft players. He's one of the best I've seen when it comes to picking talent in the draft, even at the late rounds. The Steeler's are also pretty good at this.

As for trades, I have to give credit to the Patriots, Bronco's, and Chargers (the late GM, not really AJ Smith) GM's because they always seem to be able to squeeze the most out of their trading partners and tend to always get great deals and draft picks out of the deal.

I also agree with what others said about Bill Parcells. The guy has done it time and time again. He always turns bottom dwellers into playoff contendors. The Patriots were an instant win if they were on your schedule and were hardly ever even heard of in the NFL before he got there. The Jets the same way. Granted that was primarily as a coach, but now he's turned the Dolphins around. Props to the big Tuna.

I'd go with Newsome over Polian. I haven't been super impressed with his draft choices the last few years. If it weren't for Manning, he'd be considered old news. You can't really say he's great based on what he did 20 years ago. I'm sorry, but that was a different era.

Then again, I kinda have to agree with whatmeworry. Loomis has had an AMAZING draft record the past few years. Just look at how many late round/UDFA players are currently starters on that team. Now look at how well they actually play the game. I think he could definitely be considered one of the best of this current era.

Not to be a nitpicker but Jeff Ireland is actually the GM for the Dolphins and Parcells is the vice president of the team.

And yes, Parcells has done a good job picking a gm and coaching staff, and I guess when you have the first pick in every round of the draft dont hurt either.

As for me, I would choose Kevin Colbert of the Steelers. He has kept the Steelers direction as straight as it can go.

Archived