Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

I just recieved a paycheck for time I didn't work

brianforster

I quit a job with no notice, I just stopped coming in, this was on April 2nd. I got my final paycheck 2 weeks ago, which was my full amount, and I had worked 3 days on the next pay period, but due to a negative leave balance, I expected them to withhold this final 3 days of pay.

Today was the day in which I was supposed to get that final 3 days, instead I get a paycheck for my full amount.

Can I take the money and run? Or can they come after me later when/if they find their mistake?

The paycheck is from the DC government because I worked in DCPS.

My mother thinks this may be the money they take out from my regular salary in order to send me paychecks over the summer, the paycheck says regular 56 hours (I worked 24) and sick pay 24 hours (never called in sick). The pay period in question had 2 paid holidays, and normally they show up as "holiday pay" so with this being absent from the check, it leaves me with questions.

Call them to check it out.

Besides your moral obligation to give the money back if it was a mistake, I am pretty sure they can come after you if you "take the money and run." Not sure though, but I would take the safe route when dealing with the government and finances :paranoid:

Knowing you, you probably didn't work, the whole time you were employed there, so what's the big deal ? :silly:

You know me?

edit:

The reason I think it may not be an error is this: During this pay period we had 2 days off, good friday and easter monday. On every other payday with a holiday, it said "holiday pay" and the corresponding hours.

On this paycheck, even though there were 2 government holidays located in this pay period, it only says "Regular" and "sick pay"

You know me?

edit:

The reason I think it may not be an error is this: During this pay period we had 2 days off, good friday and easter monday. On every other payday with a holiday, it said "holiday pay" and the corresponding hours.

On this paycheck, even though there were 2 government holidays located in this pay period, it only says "Regular" and "sick pay"

Hey I know you! Sounds like maybe you had sick days left or something and they had to pay you for them? Could always be used for drinking money!

I hear that haha, maybe I will be able to afford a tigerfest ticket after all!

I can't believe how much they are. That's why I decied on Brew Fest instead. $30 for a ticket for all the beer and food you can eat! Plus they have a band down there too

I can't believe how much they are. That's why I decied on Brew Fest instead. $30 for a ticket for all the beer and food you can eat! Plus they have a band down there too

Wow that is a sweet deal, I wish I could convince all my friends to skip tigerfest hahah.

You will have to pay that money back. They same thing happened to my wife. She got paid for an entire week she didn't work. Like $800+. She got a letter almost a month later saying she need to give the money back. I would definately call on it.

And be warned, not only might they take their time sending you a notice that you need to repay, they will probably take their time processing the paper work once you do. My wife sent back the repayment in January and she is still getting calls about it.

Archived