Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

NFL.com: Pondering the best- and worst-case scenarios on Day 1

bubba9497

http://www.nfl.com/draft/story?id=09000d5d80fec297&template=with-video-with-comments&confirm=true

Click link for entire article

Pondering the best- and worst-case scenarios on Day 1

We'll know for sure how the first round plays out on Saturday, but two days before the start of the draft, here is how I see it unfolding, with the draft scenarios facing each team during the first round:

4. Seattle Seahawks

Mark Sanchez, QB, USC

Again, the preceding picks shouldn't affect what Seattle does here, unless the Seahawks are set on replacing aging Walter Jones at left tackle with their top pick, but I don't see that. After perennially ranking as one of the league's best offenses, the Seahawks fell off a cliff with their dismal performance last season. While Matt Hasselbeck's struggles can be attributed to some of the dropoff, the Seahawks' leaky offensive line underachieved in all aspects. Furthermore, the receiving corps was ravaged by injuries and failed to provide the big plays that had been a hallmark of the offense for years. In spite of the issues along the line, the opportunity to grab a franchise quarterback is rare, so Mark Sanchez is the pick at No. 4. With Hasselbeck's series of injuries and advanced age a concern, Sanchez becomes the team's quarterback of the future.

» If the team passes on Sanchez, it could take a flier on Crabtree. The Seahawks, who already signed T.J. Houshmandzadeh in free agency, could provide first-year coach Jim Mora with an enviable receiving tandem.

» Monroe, an ideal candidate to replace Jones at left tackle, could be a surprise pick here if he's still on the board.

» In a move that is a longshot due to the enormous financial commitment invested at one position, the Seahawks could grab Curry to team with Lofa Tatupu and Leroy Hill. Picking Curry here would definitely qualify as a best-player scenario.

13. Washington Redskins

Robert Ayers, DE, Tennessee

The Redskins have mortgaged away their drafts in the past and may have to take similar measures this season to get the prospect they covet in the first round. Although they have needs at defensive end and linebacker, the Redskins are looking to get into the top 10 to acquire their quarterback of the future (Sanchez). If they deem the price too high to move up or if Sanchez is gone, an offensive tackle would fill a huge hole on the right side of the line. While the opportunity to shore up the offense is a noble idea, the Redskins are better served to tighten up their defense, which is why Ayers is the pick at 13 ... if they don't move up into the top 10.

» The Redskins are going to make a big play for Sanchez in the early stages of Round 1, and they appear willing to give up significant picks to corral their guy.

» Other pass-rush options besides Ayers include Tyson Jackson, Everette Brown, and Maybin.

» If the team stays at 13 and the offensive coaches win out and Oher is still available, then Oher gets plugged in at tackle. That's a lot of ifs.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2009/writers/don_banks/04/23/mock2/index.html

Don Banks

2009 NFL Mock Draft 7.0

13 OT Michael Oher Ole Miss Sr. 6-4 309

Let's see if the Redskins get crazy and mortgage their future in a move-up for Sanchez. If not, they should feel fortunate if Oher lasts this long, given their need at right offensive tackle. If he's gone, that could push Ayers into their laps. Either way they should get a major need addressed.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/mock-live/round1

CBS Mock Drafts

18. Washington Redskins - trade down from #13

Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi:

For years Dan and Vinny have treated the trenches like cleaning out the attic. Well, “we’ll get around to it,” ain’t this GM’s M.O. I’m creating “Hogs 2: Cruise Control” because when you have a bunch of pork, your offense starts to pile up some fat stats. And if we ever want to know who exactly Jason Campbell is, he NEEDS to have at least one premier offensive lineman in front of him.

Oher can be that. Yes, yes. We all know he doesn’t get simple things like I before E except after C or the plot to “Armageddon,” but the guy can flat-out block.

Best-case scenario he’s my starting left tackle in 2010. Worst case scenario he’s my starting right tackle through 2020.

Oh, did I mention I gained a second-round pick too? Not bad, eh, considering Oher was my guy at No. 13 too.

The Redskins are going to make a big play for Sanchez in the early stages of Round 1, and they appear willing to give up significant picks to corral their guy.

How do they appear willing to "give up significant picks" for Sanchez? The only thing I've heard is that it WOULD take significant picks to move up to around #5...not that the Skins are willing to do it.

How do they appear willing to "give up significant picks" for Sanchez? The only thing I've heard is that it WOULD take significant picks to move up to around #5...not that the Skins are willing to do it.

The media assumes that Danny boy is willing to sign anything that moves, and for hte most part, he does. So we kinda get this reputation...

I heard they were willing to part with this years 1st and 3rd and next years 2nd. I think i heard it from sal pal on The Heard. But dont quote me on it.

CBS Mock Drafts

For years Dan and Vinny have treated the trenches like cleaning out the attic. Well, “we’ll get around to it,” ain’t this GM’s M.O. I’m creating “Hogs 2: Cruise Control” because when you have a bunch of pork, your offense starts to pile up some fat stats. And if we ever want to know who exactly Jason Campbell is, he NEEDS to have at least one premier offensive lineman in front of him.

Oher can be that. Yes, yes. We all know he doesn’t get simple things like I before E except after C or the plot to “Armageddon,” but the guy can flat-out block.

Best-case scenario he’s my starting left tackle in 2010. Worst case scenario he’s my starting right tackle through 2020.

Oh, did I mention I gained a second-round pick too? Not bad, eh, considering Oher was my guy at No. 13 too.

<sigh> this is my dream scenario, but sadly I have 1% faith it plays out this way; I just haven't seen the evidence that our FO is capable of a move like this. Besides, Oher available that late? Not so sure that's realistic.

I'd love it if this happened because then there would be evidence of intelligent life on planet Snyderatto, and at least that mystery would be solved.

CBS Mock Drafts

Wow, this would be one sweet scenario here. I love for this to happen. :point2sky

It makes so little sense to leak all these rumors if they actually want to get Mark Sanchez. Can anyone tell me any advantage that we gain by making it seem like we're drooling over Sanchez if we in fact are?

I can't.

I just worry about some of the FO moves based on past experience. I am really hoping to have my suspicions and fears proven wrong this year. Really. Please. Please please please please please.

Archived