Washington Football Team Logo
Extremeskins

Parcells not thrilled about Hutch or Quincy

Not exactly ringing endorsements of Hutch and Quincy . . . looks like they both have a one year lease on life . . .

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/sports/football/6002252.htm

Parcells sticking to his QBs

By Clarence E. Hill Jr.

Star-Telegram Staff Writer

Coach Bill Parcells acknowledges that deciding on a starting quarterback is the biggest question facing the Cowboys this season.

He also admits he's not quite comfortable with the prospect of choosing between Quincy Carter and Chad Hutchinson -- but it's a situation he plans on living with in 2003.

Parcells said as much, though at least three veteran quarterbacks -- Brian Griese, Akili Smith and Ray Lucas -- have hit the free-agent market. The Griese option officially became a reality Monday when the Denver Broncos cut the five-year veteran.

Griese might sign with the Dolphins as soon as today, but NFL observers had speculated that, given Carter's and Hutchinson's inexperience and Parcells' supposed preference for a veteran quarterback, the Cowboys might be interested in Griese.

Parcells set the record straight again Monday.

"I'm not going to be involved in Brian Griese," Parcells said. "Everybody in Texas has been asking about Griese. We are going to go the way we are right now. I don't think anybody has ever gotten any other indication from us about this quarterback thing.

"Right now we are going to go with what we got. If that's good enough, fine. If not, next year we will be looking at somebody."

Parcells' attitude is based on his and owner Jerry Jones' belief that the available veterans don't have a championship-caliber upside.

"I am not interested in being 8-8, so I am not interested in a quarterback that could get me to 8-8," Parcells said. "There are some guys I felt I could do that with. If I saw a guy that was economically feasible and could get us a division title, I would be interested in the guy. I don't know who that would be at this point. I haven't seen that guy out there."

Parcells said he doesn't know what he has in Carter and Hutchinson but plans to find out in minicamp this week and training camp next month before naming a starter.

Hutchinson, who joined the Cowboys after four years of professional baseball, started the final nine games as a rookie last season, completing 127 of 250 passes for 1,553 yards with seven touchdowns and eight interceptions.

He was sacked 34 times and lost eight fumbles.

Carter, entering his third year, has 15 career starts. Last season, he completed 125 of 221 passes for 1,465 yards with seven touchdowns and eight interceptions before being replaced by Hutchinson after seven games.

"You can look at a tape, but you don't really ever know what that guy has been asked to do, so it's hard to pass judgment," Parcells said. "I'd rather just wipe the slate clean and turn it over to what I see. I have to be equitable with these guys and give them an equal chance."

Neither had a problem with the clean slate. As Hutchinson said, "I am ready for competition."

Parcells made it clear he doesn't care whether they consider it a controversy.

All he cares about is how they perform on the field.

"If that's an issue and that takes one of them down, then that's good," he said. "Then I know the other one should be the guy. If they can't handle it, they sure can't handle the scrutiny if they are the guy."

Briefly

• Bill Parcells is searching the waiver wire for veteran offensive and defensive tackles who could help the Cowboys.

• The Cowboys have to make five cuts to get to the league roster limit of 80. However, owner Jerry Jones anticipates the bulk of those moves being made closer to training camp when the Cowboys begin to sign their rookie draft picks.

• Free-agent defensive end Darrell Wright of Oregon is the only rookie absent from this week's camp. He can't attend because his school hasn't held graduation.

ONLINE: www.dallascowboys.com

Parcells is a proven winner. No question.

However, he doesn't always make the best decisions when it comes to the QB spot. Greise would be a huge upgrade over the fodder they've got now. He may not be Elway, but at least he's a starter-quality player. I find it hard to beleive that the Cowboys wouldn't even look into upgrading that spot.

Beware Skins fans, the Cowboys are playing possum. Both Parcell and Jones know how to win, and I don't think they are going into the season without a good idea about who their starting QB is, unless they are trying to postion themselves for Eli Manning. We'll know what stew the Boys are cooking up come week two when the play the Giants.

Originally posted by Henry

I find it hard to beleive that the Cowboys wouldn't even look into upgrading that spot.

I'm not mad at them for not even looking into it. :laugh: :laugh:

Even with Parcells on board, (and the man is a coaching wizard), I don't see them finishing better than 7-9, but they're most likely looking at a 6-10 season with a decent draft pick to get a QB next year either through the draft, or trading the pick for a vet QB.

Eli Manning does Parcells no good. If and when he is ready to be a competent NFL QB, Parcells will be sipping martinis in the Jupiter Golf Club clubhouse.

I see Parcells' mindset here. There are two circumstances, to him, where it would make sense for him to get a veteran in there. One, if he could get one (on the cheap), that would put him in playoff contention. Or, two, if he was planning to develop Hutch and/or Carter slowly from the bench, and he wanted a caretaker to mind the store in the meantime.

He doesn't think there is a good candidate for circumstance #1. And I don't think he has any interest in dicking around with circumstance #2. In his eyes, the future is now. He doesn't want to make either of these guys a slow and nurturing development project.

i was thinking about DAL getting Manning too, but Parcells wants a veteran who can run the team while keeping mistakes at a minimum. that is not going to happen with a rookie taking snaps.

i am going to find a list of QB's who will be FA's next year or who may be cap casualties....

starting with:

Chris Redman, if Boller gets the starting nod and plays well he could be trade bait or a cap casualty even though he just signed an extension....

Kurt Warner or Marc Bulger... ? but with the injury history of Warner they will keep Bulger until his contract is up. you can't pay two starting QB's on one team, it would destroy their cap.

Chris Weinke-- can you believe this guy is 30!?! with the glut of QB's in CAR (Peete, Delhomme) I can't see them carrying CW as the number three for very long.

John Kitna-- once Carson Palmer gets the starting nod... either in 2004 or 2005

Tim Couch or Kelly Holcomb

Mike McMahon-- he has shown he is good enough to start and has great intangibles...

Chad Pennington, only because he is out of place in NJ-- he is a country boy for Christs sake. Of course the Jets would franchise him and not let him leave, but he would make a great QB for Parcells in DAL.

Trent Dilfer, even though he probably wouldn't want to leave the West Coast. he is the qb who plays not to lose, exactly what BP will want from his starter.

"Right now we are going to go with what we got. If that's good enough, fine. If not, next year we will be looking at somebody."

It's funny, when Spurrier said something similar to that last year he was lambasted in the press.... with the effing media laughing and making jokes about his decision to start the season with Wueffrel or Matthews knowing that it was the salary cap and available free agents that kept us from installing a PRO-BOWL QB in the offense. Now.... Parcells, a veteran Super Bowl winning coach, says he's starting the season with either Hutchinson or Carter and we hear nothing. Hutchinson doesn't impress me with his pocket presence and Quincy couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with his passing accuracy history. But.. no jokes or mention of that in the media.... not for the Media Darling Cowboys. Eff them... and the media!!!!!

Originally posted by OURYEAR#56

Beware Skins fans, the Cowboys are playing possum. Both Parcell and Jones know how to win, and I don't think they are going into the season without a good idea about who their starting QB is, unless they are trying to postion themselves for Eli Manning. We'll know what stew the Boys are cooking up come week two when the play the Giants.

Well it sounds like it's gonna ba a rotten stew if they are intent on going with Hutchinson/Carter as their QB. I get a chuckle just hearing that.:laugh:

Parcells is sure dumb, isn't he? How did he get his stellar reputation? Must have been earned before he got senile, eh? If all the Redskin fans can see what a mess he is making, why can't he see it? Dumb? Or, maybe its because he sees the trees instead of the forest.

Originally posted by Angus

Parcells is sure dumb, isn't he? How did he get his stellar reputation? Must have been earned before he got senile, eh? If all the Redskin fans can see what a mess he is making, why can't he see it? Dumb? Or, maybe its because he sees the trees instead of the forest.

To be fair to Parcells, John Clayton supposedly reported that the decision to go with Hutch and Quincy was Jerrah's decision. Clayton added that he wanted Parcells to work with the two to see where he could get with them.

If true, Parcells must be pizzed.:laugh:

Originally posted by Angus

That clears it up. Good analysis.

That's the logic I hear from a lot of Cowboys fans, and Parcell's jock sniffers (or girdle sniffers...whatever).

They know magically that Parcells is going to get them back to the promised land, but can't explain one fact of how it will happen. Magic Parcells pixie dust. If I hear the Parcells talking points "He will retool in the first year and have them in the playoffs in the second, he always does!", I'm going to puke.

Cowboys fans better wake up and realize that Parcells is sandbagging this year. I know they keep hoping he's going to pull a rabbit out of his moo moo, but it aint going to happen. The offense is a mess. QBs are dogs. Plain and simple. There's surely no Ramsey on that team, clearly not even a Matthews, and at best a Wuerffel. They just can't move the ball. Hambrick is everything Parcells hates in a RB. Dumb and fat. The way he runs upright at 250 lbs., how long do you think that will last against NFC East defenses?

The amazing botching of drafts over the past four years had left that Dallas team with virtually no talent. 5-11 for the past THREE years and the only player they have to brag about is a SAFETY?

And the talent they have is the exact opposite of what Parcells runs. Big, physical defense with a push up the middle and pressure off the ends. People talk about the Redskins having no pass rush. What about Dallas? Bruce Smith at 40 had more sacks last year than Dallas' starting ends, COMBINED. Dallas has one of the smallest defenses in the league. Parcells runs a ball control offense based on smart QBing decisions, a tough RB that can pick up blocks, and a disciplined passing game. You think the Skins had a tough time adapting our talent to a new offense? Wait till you see Dallas this year.

I was scared that they would take Leftwich. Then I woke up and realized that Parcells just refuses to groom QB talent. Dont worry about Eli going to Dallas next year. Parcells aint going to pay a rookie QB $50 million, much less take a back seat to a 22 year old kid.

So, undercover Dallas fans, clear this up for me. I'm game. Help me see the trees. Seems to me that you might be walking into them.

Tenaciousd, you have to be close to a tree to see exactly how solid, strong, and useful it is for what you would like to do with it. Parcells is closer than any of us. All the rest of us see is the canopy of the forest.

Parcells is Marty with rings. The Cowboys will be a tougher team. However, that is about it. He could probably get them to around 9-7 max this year. Which would be an accomplishment.

However, I don't know about those quarterbacks. Who would feel comfortable going into camp with them.

We will see.

NewEra

I wanted to respond to a lot of different posts but most of them have the same theme about the QB situation.

I think Parcells is well aware that neither hutch or QC may have the ability to lead him to the promise land, and even though Griese is an upgrade, is he the type of QB given his past problems, his well documented drinking binges and lack of dedication the type of QB that can lead a team and be a leader? in all his previous stops Parcells had a leader at QB position and Griese doesn't strike me as a leader type. If he is a great hot commodity nobody seems to be jumping out and grabbing him and trying to out bid each other and there are a few teams out there with QB needs besides the cowboys. How much better are we really going to be with Griese? playoff type team?

Parcells knows if he wants to be in contention(and that's all y ou can really do) he needs a QB that can lead the team. Lets see what happens next year in FA, by the way isn't Manning in Colts land in his last year of contract? you never know. Woudl manning be worth two first round picks? a QB of his calibur who is proven? I wouldn't be surprised.

Lots of people here pointed to Parcells being a short term guy..well DUH, he signed only a 4 year contract. He is not going to be here for ever or long term and he may leave after his 3rd year.

Also parcells knows that this team lacked talent and leadership from the coaching position. Cowboys finally had two good drafts that inserted some young talent on the team. He knows there are a few more holes to fill before he can cotend, then why push this year? as he said lets find out what we have, lets turn a few stones and let some players prove themselves. Last year was a total mess in dallas, offensively, coaching and at the end defensively as well. He is going to find out first hand what he has, what palyers will respond to him and his system and what he needs to do. Why jump the gun, go out and try to sign a Griese who is not going to get you where you want to go. How much better is the team with Griese? can they content? can the offense become a top 10 offense? I doubt it, then why waste time and money.

Dallas has the makings of a good defense, always required for a championship type team. They have a put together a good OL, good TE group, decent WR corp and need question marks answered at QB and RB (btw Travis Henry may be available next year via a trade, a power RB with pro bowl on his resume!!. How much will he cost? we have to wait and see).

Also, I think we will end up at 5-11 or 6-10 this year. I wouldn't be surprised if that happens. tough schedule, young team, third new offensive system again in three years. question marks at RB and QB, would you be surprised? not me.

As Shawn so aptly puts it, no one is trying to outbid other teams for Griese's services, but, if memory serves me correctly, many teams wanted to bid for Hutchinson's services last year — including Washington. But the agent eliminated Washington because, "I would never put Chad in an environment of instability. Washington lost out to Dallas. Otherwise, Redskins fans would be singing the praises of Hutchinson today instead of Ramsey.

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/nfl/magee/20021027-9999_1s27nflcol.html

Angus, are you under the impression that free agents avoid the Redskins? Please tell me you think that.

And while we're at it, do you think Redskin fans are never critical of their starting QBs? Maybe you do think that, seeing as you're relatively new to this board. But trust me, when Redskin fans are judging their starting QB, from Heath Shuler and Gus Frerrotte to Brad Johnson, Jeff George and Tony Banks, we don't blindly lavish praise upon them. And I can assure you very few of us would be doing so for Chad, regardless of what his agent thinks of Dan Snyder. :rolleyes:

Archived